p??o?????? d???? ??????n ??s????????????

Mek_JaggerMek_Jagger 322 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
(u??ou?? ???????? ??q ????b???? ???? ??nq) ????p???? ?????? ????o bu??????????os puno?? ?? ??u?????? ?? ????????p ?????? s????????

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Just the other day there was a guy on Come Dine With Me who insisted that Leo Sayer was the godfather of UK Rap, he then preceded to 'rap' the lyrics to some Sayer song. This reduced one of his fellow dinners to tears. Not tears of laughter, or tears of pain but real emotional type tears, because she was so moved by his rap rendition.

• well fuck, that was unexpected. i'm on 4od right now, will report back if i find it.

didnt hear any sayer but got to see a bald fat fellow rapping will smith's 'wild wild west' at the dinner table.
    he was wearing a P.L.O. scarf and a cowboy hat.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    What year did you find? Before 82?

• yeah from 1979, very basic stuff. bordering nursery rhyme territory with pseudo-funk backing. will post audio soon.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    these threads are shit

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    these threads are shit

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    jammy said:
    these threads are shit
    and you guys watch shitty tv-shows

• i know, i know. but it sounds like rap to me.
    79 cockney chat from blankety blank regular Lorraine Chase. bonus kazoo action

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Lollers.

Terrible thread

B/w

Brilliant thread

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts

More national pride threads that mention Blankety Blank and Come Dine With Me please.

I saw that Leo Sayer episode, he was rapping in Thai as well if i remember correctly.

• To add to the weirdness, I was at a dinner (no lie!) lastyear with a guy who occasionally does voiceover on "come dine..."

He admitted that it's pretty much all scripted & the "celebrities" are only given a little leeway with ad libs. Therefore any Sayer/Moe Dee/Will Smith moments are likely forced. Sorry.

Back on topic, I can't listen to the track above (phone posting-related) but otherwise it has to be TW Funkmasters no?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Man like Kenny Everett. "Snot Rap".

Please let it be so.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Is it Barnsley Bill?

• This has got to be a contender

Come on. HMWYRS is not rap.

Barnsley Bill was 80s. 81? Let me google. 81.

The rule should be it was intentionally and obviously a rap rekkid. Like pr0n, it's hard to define accurately but you know it when you see it.

If GSH is the father of rap, the John Cooper Clarke could/should be the Brit equivalent.

No love for Richard Harris rapping over funky beats on The Prophet?
    Mid 70s iirc.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Come on. HMWYRS is not rap.

The rule should be it was intentionally and obviously a rap rekkid. Like pr0n, it's hard to define accurately but you know it when you see it.

Not wanting to debate semantics here, but I'd say if that Lorraine Chase record counts, why should HMWYRS? Obviosly Ian Dury was likely to have been unaware of what was hapening in The Bronx parks in the late 70's, but based on the technicalities, Rhythm Stick isn't too far off the mark..

I am not cosining Lorraine Chase either. Just 'cos girl can't sing, doesn't mean she's a rapper.

In one of them moods today. Sorry.

#2 son just gone to A&E. Had him @ NHS direct last two nights, thought he was on the mend. Going to be a very long night I suspect.

I blacked out last week, hit me head, and was taken to hozzie on Tue. 7-10 days off he said. LOL. Try that without getting paid, son. I was back in on Thu. I am right as, now, pls believe.

D&V - There's a lot of it about, apparently.

No disabled Indian girl-on-girl down Queens Med either. What has the world come to? I was expecting it to be Wall-to-wall "Girls on Film" nurses too. Gah!

• You allways refer to the blockparty scene and that it could not be that people knew of rapping before 1979.
    But you forget the downtown scene which was the playground for DJ Hollywood, Eddie Cheeba and Lovebug Starski.

I have no clue if Ian Dury or Joan Baez are influenced by that, but why shouldnt they've been in a downtown club and seeing Hollywood do his thing ?

Check Joan Baez with here song "Time Rag" which she calls a "Talking Disco Blues" from 1977. It was releasesd in the UK too as a 45.

Damn, poor Jimster. Get well soon son.

B/w naan sandwich: revisit next Sunday.
    Unfinished business.
    ::getonmylevel::

• turns out there were 2 emcees. thought you were takin the piss about the sayer

and this lad. not wearing the stetson here but he brought out the parrot

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Wow you found it.

Word is bond, I would not lie about the Sayer. Dude came across somewhere between Jonny Ball and a lobotomized RamJam Rodigan. But at least he seemed like a genuine weirdo, so I can forgive it somewhat. The other guy who failed to karaoke Will Smith seems just a straight up shitty, putting it on for the camera, knob'ed.

skel said:
    Damn, poor Jimster. Get well soon son.

Unfinished business.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    skel said:

Unfinished business.

With baited breath I wait.

B/W Get well soon Jimster

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    pulled this the other day, seems like one of the earlier british hiphop rap joints

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    pulled this the other day, seems like one of the earlier british hiphop rap joints

I've still got that somewhere, and yeah, it is. Sometime in '82, IIRC. Around the same time, though, you had things like Wham Rap coming out (no pun intended). Then there were the likes of Funkapolitan, a bunch of posh boys from West London whose bass player later became the noted furniture designer Tom Dixon, OBE, and whose only album was produced by August Darnell. Or Multivizion, who shared a bassist with Freeez and whose sole single, frustratingly, didn't include an instrumental. Which was a pity, because the vocals were fuck-awful. Even at the time, both these records bore only a passing resemblance to anything you'd meaningfully call "rap".

• Uk rap from 80.