Downtempo and Scratching

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.fatsackfilms.com/gunkhole.html

nice to see some new stuff coming out

is talented

post your fave new stuff, yams

I know I know, emo rap but yeah what's really good? (no kanye plaese)

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Mike Boogie is on some when it comes to the scratch music thing.

All those other dudes he rolls with get too technical and boring for me.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    speaking of boring - I couldn't even sit through that whole clip!

• honestly my scratching skillz suck, but i don't get this too much either. it didn't look like there was too much scratching going on. just dropping samples. tell me if i'm wrong but that whole routine could have been done on the mpc as well. seemed like they were just dropping samples with a live drummer playing. is saw kid koala do something similar a few years ago, but at least he fucked around with the different samples, and there was no drummer so they were doing the drum breaks by hand.

no beef, just didn't seem very to me.

• All those other dudes he rolls with get too technical and boring for me.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

All those other dudes he rolls with get too technical and boring for me.

Yo, you're down with that dude? I'm spacing if he's in your crew! I know he's down with Teeko but I didn't know what the deal was. I haven't been "into" that whole world in a minute. It turned too "D&D" nerdfest for me.

What I was really talking more about was the whole mopey ass 65 bpm "dark" child molester/devil worship/serial killer shit that most people are on nowadays.

But you? You sir, are

• these are the folks

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    with a little bit o'

You know who I was referring to though sucka!

• What I was really talking more about was the whole mopey ass 65 bpm "dark" child molester/devil worship/serial killer shit that most people are on nowadays.

I totally know of which you speak...cats send you files of "scratch" trax and it's a bunch of Brian Eno/Tangerine dream layers hahaha

Here's what the candy flippers were doing during our set in Ohio on saturday

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

these are the folks

Only one Asian?! My how the times have changed...

(The was not meant to represent Asians. Plaese to not ban me, Mark!)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

(The was not meant to represent Asians. Plaese to not ban me, Mark!)

NO, NO BAN

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Not hatting, but I definitely don't get it. I've always liked scratching (to an extent), but why form a scratch band to do what a sampler can do? I always felt the appeal of scratching came from the fact that no other instrument could replicate that sound. These guys are just playing samples live. That seems like a lot of unecessary work.

• What I was really talking more about was the whole mopey ass 65 bpm "dark" child molester/devil worship/serial killer shit

You're talking about stuff like this?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    D-Styles is fucking ridiculous with his. I'm talking about the biters of that record/style in general.

Same thing happened after Wave Twisters. Everyone was scratching fucking Battlestar Galactica records. It's stuff like that that's kind of turned me off from the scratch scene. It just seems like everyone does the same thing.

Toyeber & those Noisy Stylus dudes are on some shit though.

http://www.noisystylus.com/media/video/noisy_stylus__tobeyer_tour.wmv

Kinda crazy when you think about it all being made by scratch.

http://www.noisystylus.com/media/audio/noisy_stylus__table_manners_snippet.mp3

• What I was really talking more about was the whole mopey ass 65 bpm "dark" child molester/devil worship/serial killer shit

You're talking about stuff like this?

I can't even listen to this record.

• Anyone ever heard of this dude John Cage? No not THAT John Cage. I think he used to be in this crew in Texas called The Truth. There was a clip of him floating around on some of the scratch message boards doing a composition called something like "Dirty Blue Mud Remix BOAAHHH", it was definitely , I had the file saved but lost it in a HD crash and now I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

D-Styles is fucking ridiculous with his. I'm talking about the biters of that record/style in general.

Same thing happened after Wave Twisters. Everyone was scratching fucking Battlestar Galactica records. It's stuff like that that's kind of turned me off from the scratch scene. It just seems like everyone does the same thing.

Toyber (sp?) is on some shit though.

Day I am right there with you on that one. The turtable revolution made me sick. Definitely made me not want to check for any new shit anymore because all I was seeing was regurgitated shit.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    What I was really talking more about was the whole mopey ass 65 bpm "dark" child molester/devil worship/serial killer shit that most people are on nowadays.

fakk u!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    MAAAAAAAAAAAN I can't win

You want an example just check d-styles message board in the audio/video section.

PZ BATCHES

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    nah i dont really like that shit either - i just thought you were dissin my 75 bpm blazing downtempo darkness beats!! or maybe these "devil worshipers" you are talking bout are dudes trying to copy my stylez?

• MAAAAAAAAAAAN I can't win

h a t t e r

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    nah i dont really like that shit either - i just thought you were dissin my 75 bpm blazing downtempo darkness beats!! or maybe these "devil worshipers" you are talking bout are dudes trying to copy my stylez?

Not unless your styles starts with a D

I AM THE MAD HATTER

BOW DOWN TO GERMAN TURNTABLISM

• MAAAAAAAAAAAN I can't win

h a t t e r

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Its about time there was a thread about scratching instead of Guess what K**ye W**t's favourite pastel colour is.

I gotta add props to Cut's orbits while we are on the subject of scratching. I'm seriously biting those steez at the moment.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Don't tell me some of you can't see where i'm coming from.

Ok, since we all know how Daze and I feel, why don't other people share their feelings.

"I deserve good things. I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am attractive person. I am fun to be with."

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Don't tell me some of you can't see where i'm coming from.

Ok, since we all know how Daze and I feel, why don't other people share their feelings.

dude, honestly...I don't think anyone really gets it if they weren't a dj for as many years as a some of us have been. it's like we came up when it wasn't so "cool" it was just what we wanted to do. You had to pay dues, scratch on a shitty mixer, if you could find a scratch record you were lucky...there was like 2 made before Rectangle came along. Mixing and rocking a party was the foundation, scratching was something you learned and became good at afterwards.

Now you got all these johnny-come-lately's and all they do is learn how to "sqkratch"...they're trendy fuckin sheep(no dj sheep) and it shows in their recordings. All these kids wanna be Qbert overnight ...but he's been doing it for 20 YEARS!![/b].

My point is, unless you were a dj that came up all through the late 80's and early 90's (or even earlier)...you probably don't give a shit about any of these newbie clone fucks.

• "I deserve good things. I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am fun to be with."

I see where you are coming from. I still like to keep up with whats going on.
    How do I go about getting a copy of that Dollar Bin show on cd?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I will not deny that scratching was what made me want to be a DJ. I found that shit really fascinating, but it is most definitely not what has kept me a DJ. I enjoy it when it is done well, but its one of those things that can just get boring so fast. It becomes like a fucking circus too. I would much rather see a DJ that can actually mix and control a crowd then a side show act that everyone stands around watching. I remember showing my dad some DJ video when I was first getting into it, and I was like "see they are making music with turntables" he said "its not very good music though" his response pissed me off at the time but it was actually pretty accurate.