Weed Legal in Colorado ! ??

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
Holy shit... Looks like I will be visiting my sister on the weekends!

Comments

• RAJ said:
    Holy shit... Looks like I will be visiting my sister on the weekends!

I think opening a weed friendly retirement home in CO would be a solid business move.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Yes, we are all really looking forward to the "Weed tourists" flocking to our state.
    They will compliment the "micro-brew" tourists...who also dont understand how high-altitude works and are continually passing out due to over-consumption.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yet ski/snowboard tourists never hurt themselves on the slopes.

• I think WA also legalized it and MA allowed medical pot
    Awesome

HarveyCanal said:
    Yet ski/snowboard tourists never hurt themselves on the slopes.

Ski/snowboard tourist are inevitably MicroBrew/Weed tourists ;)

Ha!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    I think WA also legalized it and MA allowed medical pot
    Awesome

Washington did, indeed! Just have to wait 30 more days for it to be Okiedokie to smokey. :beerbang:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    21 yo or older, 1 oz or less. Don't go setting up a Rastafarian commune in Vail just yet, because I foresee the Federal gov't having a say in this matter.

The_Non said:
    21 yo or older, 1 oz or less. Don't go setting up a Rastafarian commune in Vail just yet, because I foresee the Federal gov't having a say in this matter.

Yes, i'm sure Captain Bringdown and the Feds will do thier best to harsh our collective mellow here in the Mile High City.

mrmatthew said:
    The_Non said:

Yes, i'm sure Captain Bringdown and the Feds will do thier best to harsh our collective mellow here in the Mile High City.
    He has consistently asserted the idea (while in office) that drugs are bad, Mmkay.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    This is kind of mind blowing. I can easily see this having an impact on people's travel plans. Skiing this winter? Let's go to Colorado where you can smoke a joint on a chairlift instead of huddled behind some tree. Ok, maybe that's not exactly a big deal for lots of people, but still, there's a market!

• yeah i was reading about this on CNN today, the FEDS will chime in at some point....they seemed to have left people alone in Colorado from what i understand, but this might put more of a spotlight on whats going on there...

msnbc has been replaying MarijuanaINC quite a lot these last few months, seems to be on every few nights, they mostly talk Mendocino, Cali but i believe they talked about Colorado as well, you can find the video here if you wanna watch it:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28281668

• whole new meaning?

If they are willing to shorten their logo to nugs, that's a goldmine for stoner kids across amurica.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    yeah i was reading about this on CNN today, the FEDS will chime in at some point....they seemed to have left people alone in Colorado from what i understand, but this might put more of a spotlight on whats going on there...

msnbc has been replaying MarijuanaINC quite a lot these last few months, seems to be on every few nights, they mostly talk Mendocino, Cali but i believe they talked about Colorado as well, you can find the video here if you wanna watch it:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28281668

Yea, I love it how the feds want to leave so many things up to the states and this one they want to act like they are going to intervene. They have already been plenty of cops in the US and Canada that have taken it upon themselves to harass and even vandalize legal marijuana stores.

We voted for gay marriage, we voted for legalized pot, we voted a black man president twice....get the message police state-christian-ultra conservatives.... we don't want you telling us what to do so fuc off!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

whole new meaning?

• One way that the 2nd Obama admin could get around congress on this administratively would be for the DEA to shift Marijuana off Schedule I. While it would do nothing to decriminalize it for recreational use, it would take the pressure off the Feds from having to crack down on Medical use (which is spreading faster through the states).

I don't see congress pulling back from the drug war soon so anything that Obama will be able to do will have to come from executive orders and direct action by federal agencies.

We are still far off from ending the madness of the "Drug War" which has buried the "War on Terror" in duration and cost. Our criminalization of a public health issue has done nothing but line the pockets of drug companies, drug cartels, and various government agencies that depend on this "war" for their existence.

I can tell you as a budding accountant that even while both Washington and Colorado have legalized the cultivation and sale of Marijuana you will still run afoul of the federal tax law and be subject to "tax reform" (meaning you will not be able to use a lot of deductions for your business).

The laws will put pressure on the federal government all the same and will cause even more scrutiny. Good luck guys and gals. At least there are some lawyers here on the Strut if you should become a test case for State vs. Federal rights.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    One way that the 2nd Obama admin could get around congress on this administratively would be for the DEA to shift Marijuana off Schedule I. While it would do nothing to decriminalize it for recreational use, it would take the pressure off the Feds from having to crack down on Medical use (which is spreading faster through the states).

I don't see congress pulling back from the drug war soon so anything that Obama will be able to do will have to come from executive orders and direct action by federal agencies.

We are still far off from ending the madness of the "Drug War" which has buried the "War on Terror" in duration and cost. Our criminalization of a public health issue has done nothing but line the pockets of drug companies, drug cartels, and various government agencies that depend on this "war" for their existence.

I can tell you as a budding accountant that even while both Washington and Colorado have legalized the cultivation and sale of Marijuana you will still run afoul of the federal tax law and be subject to "tax reform" (meaning you will not be able to use a lot of deductions for your business).

The laws will put pressure on the federal government all the same and will cause even more scrutiny. Good luck guys and gals. At least there are some lawyers here on the Strut if you should become a test case for State vs. Federal rights.

Right, getting it off the Schedule I list is really the first step federally. How hard is that to do? Does that have to go through Congress I guess? If so, the problem is that it is really low priority, even though it makes absolutely zero sense for it to be Schedule I (even if you believe it should be illegal).

Danno3000 said:
    This is kind of mind blowing. I can easily see this having an impact on people's travel plans. Skiing this winter? Let's go to Colorado where you can smoke a joint on a chairlift instead of huddled behind some tree. Ok, maybe that's not exactly a big deal for lots of people, but still, there's a market!

Never had any trouble smoking on chairlifts going back to the late 80's. Well, sometimes the wind and snow would cause a problem, but never snitches.

vintageinfants said:

whole new meaning?

I've had an Abdul-Rauf jersey since about '94 and that's always been the meaning.

• The first time I ever saw real, live, in-person weed was in Lakewood, CO in 1983.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Email from a friend in Washington:

We've legalized weed here in WA, which I guess is awesome, except that we've had medical weed for a few years now, which had made it pretty much legal anyway. So no one cares and instead the hippies are already stressed that Monsanto will start vending genetically modified weed.

Of course they're already freaking out about that. Criminy.

• bluesnag said:
    Right, getting it off the Schedule I list is really the first step federally. How hard is that to do? Does that have to go through Congress I guess? If so, the problem is that it is really low priority, even though it makes absolutely zero sense for it to be Schedule I (even if you believe it should be illegal).

The Controlled Substances Act provides a process for rescheduling controlled substances by petitioning the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). This is an administrative position. It would take a strong commandment from the White House to get the DEA to reschedule marijuana because they have a vested interest in this staying as is. The private prison industry has an vested interest in this (they get non-violent prisoners from busted pot users and sellers). There are very strong forces arrayed against legalizing marijuana and gods forbid ending the drug war.

Congress has nothing to do with it (unless they threaten to pull the funding from the agency).

Gotdammit, the election is over. So shut up about lawmaking and smoke some fucking kill already.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Gotdammit, the election is over. So shut up about lawmaking and smoke some fucking kill already.

Harvey, sorry for harshing your mellow. Personally, I don't partake but I am completely for decriminalizing it. You will just have to smoke a bowl on my behalf.

Saracenus said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Harvey, sorry for harshing your mellow. Personally, I don't partake but I am completely for decriminalizing it. You will just have to smoke a bowl on my behalf.

Gladly. But I'm actually out until tomorrow. And yes, thanks for being for decriminalization.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Danno3000 said:

Never had any trouble smoking on chairlifts going back to the late 80's. Well, sometimes the wind and snow would cause a problem, but never snitches.

Point taken. But there's smoking without hassle, and there's smoking legally.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

VINDICATED