Sylvester - "Do You Want to Funk"

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
What a killer track!




Anyone here down with a little Sylvester?

  Comments


  • Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I ride for Sylvester. Big time. Love this cut, mang. :feelin_it:

  • If anyone has any suggestions of likewise stuff please feel free to post here.

  • Was it something that I said

  • PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Modern day Sylvester...

    Tyson





    Sorry, don't know how to embed these.

  • http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks?q=sylvester

    http://soundcloud.com/djfryer/slsp-003a-sylvester-down-down

    and probably the best disco record ever made (this link is the proper 12 inch 9.27 version, LP is a bad edit)



    couple of others i spin.

    (sampled for some house hit)

    (for Glaswegian hipsters who think they collect italo)

  • Fryer, are you still playing nights in Edinburgh?

    Used to go to Motherfunk religiously at Venue (and often Honeycomb) but having moved back after being away for a while and generally getting older, I'm a bit out of touch these days!

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,527 Posts
    The house party scene in Trading Places.

    It was a stone groove.

  • Im still playing all the time.

    Soulsville Sat once a month (50/60s 45s)
    and Soul SPectrum at 99 Once a month

    Next soul spectrum is 16th Nov, Launch Party for LP with Ian Wright and Jazzman Gerald - Free Entry 99 Hanover St.

  • I'll try check out the Jazzman night, I'm a big fan of the label.

  • fryer_motherfunk said:
    http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks?q=sylvester

    http://soundcloud.com/djfryer/slsp-003a-sylvester-down-down

    and probably the best disco record ever made (this link is the proper 12 inch 9.27 version, LP is a bad edit)



    couple of others i spin.

    (sampled for some house hit)

    (for Glaswegian hipsters who think they collect italo)


    say what? "I Need Somebody To Love Tonight" is so good...great synthwork by Patrick Cowley on it...the only way to get this on 12" is a European pressing and it's an instrumental...it's definitely on a cosmic tip...not italo sounding at all...although "Do You Wanna Funk" is closer to the classic Italo/Hi-NRG sound.

    Other big Sylvester tunes are "I Need You" and "In My Fantasy".

  • LamontLamont 1,085 Posts
    the theo parrish is boss

  • crazypoprock said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:
    http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks?q=sylvester

    http://soundcloud.com/djfryer/slsp-003a-sylvester-down-down

    and probably the best disco record ever made (this link is the proper 12 inch 9.27 version, LP is a bad edit)



    couple of others i spin.

    (sampled for some house hit)

    (for Glaswegian hipsters who think they collect italo)


    say what? "I Need Somebody To Love Tonight" is so good...great synthwork by Patrick Cowley on it...the only way to get this on 12" is a European pressing and it's an instrumental...it's definitely on a cosmic tip...not italo sounding at all...although "Do You Wanna Funk" is closer to the classic Italo/Hi-NRG sound.

    I was not saying it was bad, it was listed under Sylvester records i spin (on the very 12" your schooling me about). I was Just repeating what johnny come lately 'fad' collectors were telling me a a fair a few weeks back, and i did say 'think they collect italo'. I shouldn't really have to defend myself from the genre police, before picking my post apart try reading it properly.

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    crazypoprock said:



    say what? "I Need Somebody To Love Tonight" is so good.


    Yep, I've been known to play that one at parties.

  • Duderonomy said:
    The house party scene in Trading Places.

    It was a stone groove.

    "you are the most righteous..."

    too good.

    NSFW:


  • fryer_motherfunk said:
    crazypoprock said:
    fryer_motherfunk said:
    http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks?q=sylvester

    http://soundcloud.com/djfryer/slsp-003a-sylvester-down-down

    and probably the best disco record ever made (this link is the proper 12 inch 9.27 version, LP is a bad edit)



    couple of others i spin.

    (sampled for some house hit)

    (for Glaswegian hipsters who think they collect italo)


    say what? "I Need Somebody To Love Tonight" is so good...great synthwork by Patrick Cowley on it...the only way to get this on 12" is a European pressing and it's an instrumental...it's definitely on a cosmic tip...not italo sounding at all...although "Do You Wanna Funk" is closer to the classic Italo/Hi-NRG sound.

    I was not saying it was bad, it was listed under Sylvester records i spin (on the very 12" your schooling me about). I was Just repeating what johnny come lately 'fad' collectors were telling me a a fair a few weeks back, and i did say 'think they collect italo'. I shouldn't really have to defend myself from the genre police, before picking my post apart try reading it properly.

    it just didn't really make any sense to me....must be a Glaswegian thing. That's awesome you have the 12"...it's tough to find here in the states. I wasn't schooling you on the 12"...just sharing knowledge with the board. And I'm certainly not the genre police...you are the one who brought up italo...genres clearly have meaning, this is a message board, we are discussing genres constantly.

  • The Sylvester cover of "Southern Man" shreds

Sign In or Register to comment.