Sandy

2»

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Some friends kept their bar open, so I walked to Bushwick in the height of the storm and it really wasn't that bad. if i was a scrap metal dude, i would have caked out hard. Lots of flotsam and jetsam in the streets. i found a really cool old sign that blew off a warehouse but i couldn't carry it home in the wind. I did manage to buy groceries at 4am during a hurricane...only here. My power never went out.

I do, however, have a storage unit in Gowanus that I'm pretty worried about. I have about $8k worth of equipment on the ground floor, propped up higher on saw horses and plywood. the pictures of the flooding from down there look pretty awful. The canal is a super-fund wasteland and the overflow is unleashing some nasty stuff. I'm pretty mortified about going down there when this is all over. I did the best I could given the circumstances. I hope its enough.

• Where is that one guy to remind us all that "The Water is too Damn High!"?

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Eek, been reading all of this! I hope everyone made it out in one piece! Is it over yet?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It was a noisy night - some of it the storm, most of it all the electronics in my house tripping and talking and beeping and chirping. The power went off for good for a few hours but back on by the morning and it was sunny by the time I left the house. It's cloudy again now with spitting rain and not too windy. Not too many branches down on my street, surprisingly, though some houses got pancaked by fallen tress in the east end.
    It was kinda exciting, but I prefer thunder and lightning.

• daaamn the nyc pictures are dowright scary. especially the subway ones.

west philly was fine and made it through relatively unscathed. lots of wind and branches falling, but no big trees. i biked aroud empty streets and did the rounds of friends houses. everyone was stocked up and cooking "last meals"
    i thought it was supposed to carry on through the day, but right now its barely raining over here.

best of luck everybodies!

and you know its serious when Good records pulled the raers off the wall!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Lost power at around 8:30 PM??? Woke up with No Cel service.

Was able to make coffee with the french press and bacon and eggs thanks to propane.

I'm think this "superstorm" could have been a lot worse.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Any strutters getting hit by the snow?

• i think we can all agree that lydia calas was the best thing to come of this whole ordeal

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    just got back from a nail-biting trip to Gowanus... the entire area smells like gas and chemicals. There's a Mobil station there and a cement plant across the street, both flooded last night:

I cracked open my storage unit and it smelled horrible too. luckily it only got about 4 inches of water in it and my last minute preparations managed to keep everything but the speaker-stands from getting the funk.

• Christmas is cancelled due to Sandy:

WFMU ???@WFMU
    The WFMU Record Fair is Cancelled. We're Very Sorry but Neither the Venue, WFMU or NYC Have Power. Dealers will be Refunded.

• vintageinfants said:
    i think we can all agree that lydia calas was the best thing to come of this whole ordeal

spalex jones.

that guy is the absolute king fucking emperor of cunt.

http://alexjones.efoodsdirect.com/

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Not even the Onion could make this one up.

Bush???s FEMA Director During Katrina Criticizes Obama For Responding To Sandy Too Quickly

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/10/30/1110901/bush-fema-director-katrina-hits-obama-sandy

• so hilarious

i love the criticism that Obama has been "playing president" with the storm. ummm, yeah.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    day said:
    Not even the Onion could make this one up.

Bush???s FEMA Director During Katrina Criticizes Obama For Responding To Sandy Too Quickly

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/10/30/1110901/bush-fema-director-katrina-hits-obama-sandy

WOW!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    its thunder and lighting here, we just lost power to the building i work in although we are the only business in our location with a generator so while everyone else around us is in the dark we are on back-up systems now, but there are loads of people without power now in the city..

its raining the worst i have seen in a long time so much so that it looks like it is snowing out...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Mek_Jagger said:
    vintageinfants said:
    i think we can all agree that lydia calas was the best thing to come of this whole ordeal

spalex jones.

that guy is the absolute king fucking emperor of cunt.

http://alexjones.efoodsdirect.com/

Because he partners with a company that sells storable food?

• you've got me there harvey, cos its the one thing he sells that might be beneficial to your well being.
    i dont like the guy because i've seen first hand what his theories will do to some people.
    regular, humble, fun-loving folk turn into batshit paranoid loons trawling the media for 'clues'. everything that happens is part of the sinister government plot.

london riots? NWO???
    sikh temple shooting? NWO???
    batman cinema shooting? NWO???
    hurricane sandy? NWO???

plus his theories are bulletproof. if you question them you are one of the sheeple, or part of the conspiracy.
    i dont want to get into a back & forth about him, thread was about peoples hurricane experiences, my bad for bringing it up.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Mek_Jagger said:
    everything that happens is part of the sinister government plot.

london riots? NWO???
    sikh temple shooting? NWO???
    batman cinema shooting? NWO???
    hurricane sandy? NWO???