Favorite bootleg/budget labels

GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
The world of bootlegs is not like it uses to be. Ofcourse everyone knows about K-tel, however, before them the bootlegging scene was really amazing. There is a wide variety of quality ranging from the manufacturing process to the sound. Using old plastic ashtrays for vinylite and usin phase shifting for simulated stereo.

What are your favorite boots?

I tend to like Hit the $0.39 45's and am looking at Viking Lp's with curiousity now.

Are these genuine boots or reissues? What about Pickwick and Everest?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Riley.

• Tampa, Candlelite,...? (this is important stuff)

I am reminded of Cricket, the kids label, by sounds of this thread now.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    ballroom

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I think K-Tel, Pickwick and Everest were budget labels, not bootleg.

• SIRUS said:
    ballroom

I haven't seen that one. Do you have titles?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    they did a lot of pressings of dance classics/breaks.

• Horseleech said:

That is correct. In the early 70's Capitol had an interest in Pickwick. They sold their shares and eventually Pickwick started PIP an De-Lite before being bought by PolyGram.

I'm guessing Pickwick reissued The Foxes 45 from Motown. I haven't seen that on any other label besides Pickwick Bridge.

;)

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    D-Classics (these are edits though)

• Tiara, Camden, Coronet, Tops, Rondo

There is some serious gravy sitting on these labels. Gotta watch out for unbalanced, phased shifted, reprocessed stereophonic doe. I like stereo as long as it is straight ahead, middle ground sounding with proper amplitude.

However, I am under the impression that folks like to hear the records the way they heard them the first time they heard them.

• Horseleech said:

Hit too. Here's my favorite Hit side:

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Alshire
    Trip
    Springboard
    Rhino

• JroamJroam 257 Posts

I'll ride for HIT

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    Candlelite

They weren't the classiest label, but I don't think Candelite could be called bootleg or budget. Their thing was marketing compilations via mail order, back in the 70s and 80s.

Hit was basically laughable remakes of the day's top tunes. K-Tel's collections of hits seemed cheesy too, but still in another vein.

I think of true budget labels to be like Springboard, Pickwick (the granddaddy of them all) or Accord.

My fave budget companies? Crown/United/Custom (all afffiliated with each other), as well as Nashville (the cheap sub-label of Starday).

Harmony and RCA Camden were the budget subsidiaries of CBS and RCA Victor (respectively), and both were great as far as C&W went. Not that they didn't release other kinds of music, but they kicked butt with the vintage country.

And yeah...Pickwick had their throwaway charms as well. ;-)

stratasphere said:
    Alshire
    Trip
    Springboard
    Rhino

Rhino is the total opposite of Trip/Springboard and Alshire. Their reissues are (were?) too well-done to be mentioned in this thread.

• Ahh, I'm simple. I call them all bootleg unless they are OG.

Maye because I started on the east coast and the first time I went to a record store with my Dad I got Vanilla Fudge on Eric and De La Soul on Collectibles in Pottstown, PA. I've been cold rocking both those boot labels for awhile.

Btw, have you all ever tried out those Relics boots?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    "Budget" and "bootleg" aren't interchangeable.

The discussion is pretty pointless if you don't know the difference.

• Geez,

I hear what you are saying. You are right. No points to be made.

I think Viking is a lp label like Hit, where cover bands play the tunes.

• pickwick33 said:

My fave budget companies? Crown

I didn't see this upon first spin. That makes sense that your favorite one is the one known for using recycled plastic to press records.

I value them, too.

The Alshire label has a American Composer Series that is, how should say, unique.

And if you like Nashville and the Gusto label you may enjoy the label power pak.

GatorToof said:
    pickwick33 said:

My fave budget companies? Crown

I didn't see this upon first spin. That makes sense that your favorite one is the one known for using recycled plastic to press records.

I value them, too.

Plus, since Crown was a sub-label of Modern, they had access to more classic R&B than you could shake a stick at - Joe Houston, Jimmy Beasley, Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, etc..

nd if you like Nashville and the Gusto label you may enjoy the label power pak.

Yep. Not audiophile quality by any means, but good enuff to pass.