What's the most white person Jazz album of all time?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
Can anything beat Brubeck's "Time Out"?. We all love it but damn its so white.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    Can anything beat Brubeck's "Time Out"?. We all love it but damn its so white.

Not sure I've ever thought about jazz in terms other than good and bad but I HATE that album. Just doesn't connect with me at all.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

...diggy diggy bop.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Gotta be a Kenny G joint, right?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    What do you mean by white? Brubeck and Guaraldi may have been Caucasian, but those records have soul for days.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    How are Take 5 and Charlie Brown Christmas white?

• brubeck and guarldi were artists and pioneers.

when i think of "white jazz" i am picturing 1920's-30's all white swing orchestra... like benny goodman, but even he had good ole charlie christian around.

this is a dumb topic.

• congrats on further lowering the bar here.

crabmongerfunk said:
    brubeck and guarldi were artists and pioneers.

when i think of "white jazz" i am picturing 1920's-30's all white swing orchestra... like benny goodman, but even he had good ole charlie christian around.

this is a dumb topic.

20s-30s is more Paul Whiteman, which works nicely.

Benny Goodman is more 40s, though he was active in 30s too.
    Also, as you note, the Goodman Orchestra, was integrated and played great jazz music.

Any way,
    Paul Whiteman for the win

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    How are Take 5 and Charlie Brown Christmas white?

If you know white people who only have a handful of jazz albums the odds are good that the Guaraldi will be one of them...

That's how I took the question.

That logic makes Kind of Blue the "Whitest" Jazz album of all time....so....no.

• herbacios tweed said:
    congrats on further lowering the bar here.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Anything by Wayman Tisdale.

DJ_Enki said:

None more white.

• What is "The Blackest" jazz record of all time?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than the political threads...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Please believe: For anyone who remembers back when it was not uncommon for soulstrut to have sex threads, this is nothing.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    dividing people by race is so 1940s, its 2012 now.....

• doom said:

uh, maybe in sweden. but dividing people by race still alive and kicking here.

• oripsorips 238 Posts

Can you be more specific? Are you implying what kind of jazz music do white people listen to the most? Or what jazz album do you associate with white people the most?

In any event, what comes to mind is anything from the big band era's Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw and and Tommy Dorsey.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    DJ_Enki said:

None more white.

The irony being: Kenny had a huge African-American following in the 80s and 90s, with people in their thirties and up.

The first time I ever heard of the man, a record store in a black neighborhood had posters of his Duotones LP on the walls. I was thinking he was some kind of crossover R&B act ala Hall & Oates.

• pickwick33 said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    DJ_Enki said:

None more white.

Kenny had a huge African-American following in the 80s and 90s, with people in their thirties and up..

the further inacuracy being that kenny had previously cut his teeth in a deep funk band, as was revealed in a certain documentary featuring a certain well respected strutter (who doesn;t seem to post here anymore and with the way things are here lately can you blame him?):

this thread is so damn ignorant and somehow even worse than those clusterfuck political threads. we can do better than this shit.

pickwick33 said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    DJ_Enki said:

None more white.

The irony being: Kenny had a huge African-American following in the 80s and 90s, with people in their thirties and up.

The first time I ever heard of the man, a record store in a black neighborhood had posters of his Duotones LP on the walls. I was thinking he was some kind of crossover R&B act ala Hall & Oates.

The other half of the irony is the Blackest jazz artists have a huge white following.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am not trying to be cute, but I don't understand the question. Is it in reference to the artist, sound or audience?

ubiquitous = white?
    mass appeal = white?
    common/norm = white?

Help a Toronto gal out.

• TheKindCromang said:
    What is "The Blackest" jazz record of all time?

ew, great question.

Seriously though I didn't know race here was taken so seriously.

All I meant is what jazz album is owned by the most white folk. I still stand by my choice.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:
    I am not trying to be cute, but I don't understand the question. Is it in reference to the artist, sound or audience?

ubiquitous = white?
    mass appeal = white?
    common/norm = white?

Help a Toronto gal out.

I took it as jazz that the guy in the background of the Niles Rodgers photo could get into.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    DJ_Enki said:

None more white.

Also, I'm pretty sure the G-Man's "Songbird" has the distinction of being the last instrumental to crack the Pop charts.

And this probably ain't the place, but I've had a number of suprisingly deep conversations with dudes about the cultural chasm that's resulted from white folks' misunderstandings concerning what black folks see in smooth jazz.

pickwick33 said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    DJ_Enki said:

None more white.

Listening to Songbird should have ended that impression. :shitty:

Kenny can undoubtedly blow, but there's a lack of soul in his style, IMO. Not that I'm an expert on the G-man...

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    james said:

And this probably ain't the place, but I've had a number of suprisingly deep conversations with dudes about the cultural chasm that's resulted from white folks' misunderstandings concerning what black folks see in smooth jazz.

Sure this is the place - do tell! This seems like a pretty meandering thread. Sharp left turns welcome.

• eleveneleven 11 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    doom said:

uh, maybe in sweden. but dividing people by race still alive and kicking here.