RIP Tony Janda

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
...you will be missed.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Damn.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Really? Any details. Dude crashed at my spot years ago... Super nice guy and super generous.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    What? Oh my god! Super nice guy. I am stunned. RIP. Sad news.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Going to miss my homie immensely. Happy he's no longer struggling.

• khadirkhadir 38 Posts
    Tony was one of the nicest, down to earth cats I've known. We were friends in kindergarten in Chicago and hadn't seen each other in 25 years until we "randomly" bumped into each other at a record store in Seattle. I cherish the few days I got to reconnect with him, what a cool cat. RIP Tony.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    The There is a Time mix is one of the best mixes I ever got from Soulstrut.

RIP

• Dude was we_eat_trains on the board right? I never met him, but I loved all his mixes on the site. RIP

• He moved to Memphis a while back and got sick. He got a bit better back in the spring, but I guess it wasn't permanent. I hate the fact we kept playing phone tag and only got to hang with him here in town once. But indeed a ridiculously nice guy who was a ball to be around. My greatest "DJing" experience was playing with him here in Memphis years ago, he dropped Bernard Calvin "Greedy" and it blew my mind...a DJ had never done that to me before or since. My favorite DJ.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Aww man. Super sad. He was always an awesome dude to be around. So much knowledge, no attitude.

WTF God!?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Dude was we_eat_trains on the board right? RIP

Yes. I can't think of the other names he went by over the years.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I only knew Tony in passing, but the few times our paths crossed, we had a lot on the table to talk about.

I first met him in 2006 in Memphis. Some local indie-rock club had a soul night and I saw Tony walking around wearing, of all things, a Twinight Records T-shirt. My first day in Memphis, too. What were the odds that I'd meet somebody from my own home town whom I'd never seen before, wearing a shirt representing a Chicago record label? We laughed about this displacement, and I think he may have moved to Memphis permanently after that.

I broke the news to my DJ partner, who likely saw Janda more times than I did. He commented that the last he saw him was probably last year, and he had lost an unhealthy amount of weight. I had no idea he had been ill. RIP.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    I had no idea he had been ill. RIP.

Me, either. He had just shipped me Delores Johnson's "Give Me Your Love" two weeks ago, to boot, and I spun it out on Tuesday night.

Even though our interaction was limited over the years, I can say without a doubt that Tony was warm, positive, and a wonderful guy to be around. His compliments after my very first DJ night years ago really meant something to me.

This is very sad news. Tony will be missed.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    z_illa said:
    So much knowledge, no attitude.

Exactly right.

• I had been talking to Big Tone for the last couple months and he pushed me to get back on my SP1200 and start making beats again. I have a couple now if he is listening.

Rest In Power Big Tone

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I only knew of him through here, but he always struck me as being incredibly knowledgeable and generous. RIP