I got some new afro-disco-funk for you on Ubiquity

amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
Sorry to be that guy who keeps posting bout his own shit just happened to have a couple things fall in a short period that I think some heads here might want to know about...

I did these joints with Kaleta from ZoZo afrobeat, who also came up playing with Fela & King Sunny Ade. He's from Benin and raised in Nigeria. This is some all original shit so has been a much more painstaking process than most shit I've done, Im happy with it though and hope y'all enjoy. It's gonna be limited press 12" @ 45, clear green vinyl, should look & sound dope! This is where it's at;

http://www.ubiquityrecords.com/shop/categories/Upcoming-Releases/

edit: and for easier access -

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Sounds great![del] I will definetly buy it.[/del] Just bought it. Love that dubby part at the end of "them know".
    Could you please break down the process of the recording? How much was programmed in a DW or sampled and what was played by musicians?
    I'm really intersted in this, as I always try to produce music with that organic feel, but without much success so far.

• Huge one-two punch with this and the Fania release. Will def cop -- congrats.

• Sounds great![del] I will definetly buy it.[/del] Just bought it. Love that dubby part at the end of "them know".
    Could you please break down the process of the recording? How much was programmed in a DW or sampled and what was played by musicians?
    I'm really intersted in this, as I always try to produce music with that organic feel, but without much success so far.

Thank you!

I'm glad the organic feel comes across I definitely take a lot of extra effort to try and get that. I'll break down these 2 tracks for you -

-The Horns are obviously live on both, big 6 to 8 part stacks
    -I use my rhodes on most joints, even if just a little I feel like it always adds some lushness and realness - I actually used it for the bassline on dem know too
    -Live guitar on both, I got my homie to lay down the disco-y lines on more heavy and Kaleta did the guitar on dem know
    -DRUMS (always what I end up spending the most time on) I tend to use some sort of break or loop as the skeleton, to give everything a natural swing, and on these there's a few layered ones, especially on more heavy. I also play a lot of percussion shit over the top of that to shape it more towards what I want and help give that live feel. sequenced drums i'll throw in for punch
    -I'll use the kontakt organ and sometimes piano if I have to since they don't sound too terrible and fake, especially the organ. Any synth shit is also midi (don't remember if there is any on these joints)

I think the easiest one thing you can do for natural sound is live percussion!

Also, thanks Meistro

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Sounds great![del] I will definetly buy it.[/del] Just bought it. Love that dubby part at the end of "them know".

Thank you!

I'm glad the organic feel comes across I definitely take a lot of extra effort to try and get that. I'll break down these 2 tracks for you -

-The Horns are obviously live on both, big 6 to 8 part stacks
    -I use my rhodes on most joints, even if just a little I feel like it always adds some lushness and realness - I actually used it for the bassline on dem know too
    -Live guitar on both, I got my homie to lay down the disco-y lines on more heavy and Kaleta did the guitar on dem know
    -DRUMS (always what I end up spending the most time on) I tend to use some sort of break or loop as the skeleton, to give everything a natural swing, and on these there's a few layered ones, especially on more heavy. I also play a lot of percussion shit over the top of that to shape it more towards what I want and help give that live feel. sequenced drums i'll throw in for punch
    -I'll use the kontakt organ and sometimes piano if I have to since they don't sound too terrible and fake, especially the organ. Any synth shit is also midi (don't remember if there is any on these joints)

I think the easiest one thing you can do for natural sound is live percussion!

Also, thanks Meistro

thanks!
    I just showed your tracks a few mates of mine, all of them were quite enthusiastic about it. Again, great work!

• thanks for spreading the word! much appreciated

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Heavy!

Thanks for sharing.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Just ordered. Looking forward to it!

• thanks for the kind words and the support dudes! it's very much appreciated!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    feeeelin it!

Well done on both of your recent projects!