Sister Nancy question

2»

Comments

• The refrain itself has it's roots in an old ska number, I have it on a Calypsonians record down at the shop. I'll see if I can rip it later

• mannybolone said:
    "crossing over"?

Boogie On Reggae Woman 1974

• AKallDay said:
    and Bam Bam was just a riddim that never lost its appeal or seemed irrelevant. it kinda never died.

..bam bam was off the radar between 86 and 90. nobody was playing it.

*edited - way too harsh & maybe misunderstood AKs comment.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Even in the metropolis known as Spokane, Bam Bam is played out.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Mek_Jagger said:
    AKallDay said:
    and Bam Bam was just a riddim that never lost its appeal or seemed irrelevant. it kinda never died.

with respect - thats bullshit. bam bam was off the radar between 86 and 90. nobody was playing it.

While no where the levels before 86 and after 90. I still heard it at parties and jams (I remember one of my first weddings in 89 I think. It was one of those songs that went over well with both the youth and parents) and there were still a couple of people sampling it during those times (Coming to mind - Redhead's Kilimanjaro Style and UK heads will remember The Sindecut's Can't get enough).

Not saying it was blazing the scene by any means. But that record could still keep people on the dance floor during those days in my city.

That said. Personally, I'd still rather listen to Stalag after all these years.

• DOR said:
    I still heard it at parties ..... that record could still keep people on the dance floor

sure. im sayin it was never a hip hop reggae staple like abbey hinted at. sleng teng was all anyone cared about.
    batmon said murderer upthread, thats spot on about stalag. shabba roots & culture then buju, fu schnicks & main source. the sister nancy tune came round again after reggie stepper co oonuh. in my head anyway.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Can we clarify...im kinda confused RIF related.

And maybe I got my songs mixed up.

Does Nancy's Bam Bam pre-date Yellowman and Fathead's Bam Bam?

Y & F might have been the one we listened to along w/ Natty Dread Something.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    Does Nancy's Bam Bam pre-date Yellowman and Fathead's Bam Bam?
    They were more or less contemporaneous, but are totally different tunes.

The "Bam Bam" you're talking about got a little big again in the 90s in the wake of "Murder She Wrote," though in the Pliers version, not the Yellowman and Fathead version.

• The first 3 notes of Stalag 17 are used as the "doors opening/closing" tones on the railway service in Jamaica. True story.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The refrain itself has it's roots in an old ska number, I have it on a Calypsonians record down at the shop. I'll see if I can rip it later

• Bon Vivant said:
    Bam Bam is played out.

NEVER!

• Dawn Penn been performing round my way past couple of years, still holds a crowd..

That said, whenever Bam Bam, No No No, Ring the Alarm and Uptown Ranking are played in close succession, I exit soon after

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    DuttyBabylon said:
    Dawn Penn been performing round my way past couple of years, still holds a crowd..

That said, whenever Bam Bam, No No No, Ring the Alarm and Uptown Ranking are played in close succession, I exit soon after

So basically, the "Choice is Yours remix" of early '80s dancehall?

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Bam Bam is played out.

NEVER

one that's been in my bag recently

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    DuttyBabylon said:
    Dawn Penn been performing round my way past couple of years, still holds a crowd..

All 4 are overkill, but any two of those mixed in with other dancehall is top notch with me.

Did Ring the Alarm hit big in the US scene around the same time as Bam Bam? Or different times for different reasons?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    DuttyBabylon said:

So basically, the "Choice is Yours remix" of early '80s dancehall?

Hahaha! Pretty much. Those songs (plus "Murder She Wrote") are the official hip-hop DJ dancehall set, much like "The Choice Is Yours" remix is a key part of the archetypical golden era set.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    james said:
    The-gaffler said:
    Did Sister Nancy ever have any other ambitions after becoming an emcee?
    I believe she also stated an ambition for transport connection.

Back in college I was trying to talk to this girl at this thing where "Bam Bam" was playing, and just as our conversation was taking a turn towards the grown, the dj mixed into JC Lodge's "Telephone Love." I felt like I was in a movie.

Weird I was gonna mention Telephone Love getting lots of play at BSA parties that I attended in the late 80s. Seemed like a decent amount of dancehall was crossing over into the hip hop crowd at that time. That was my jam. I remember NYC guys giving Shinehead some play too.

and im not gonna talmbout Action......

• followed by 'champagne body'

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    No No No