Square Pegs (TV related)

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central

I didnt watch this when it was out but im peepin it. Not bad. Super 80's.
The series feels less like a precursor to the nuanced ???My So-Called Life??? and ???Freaks and Geeks??? and more like a preview of cornier, more wholesome sitcoms like ???Hannah Montana??? and ???Zoey 101.???

Jamie Gertz ftw

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Watched it when it was new, and usually made sure to catch the reruns for years thereafter. This was a well-done show. I certainly prefer this to the whiny My So-Called Life (I decided I didn't like the main character within the first ten minutes of the one episode I saw).

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Hated the laugh track.

batmon said:

Jamie Gertz ftw

But yes... Still got it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I really dig the New Wavey steez.

I never saw what the Waitresses looked like until i saw the first episode where they sing at the party.

Didnt know they had a Sista bass player.

Jami Gertz probably looks better now than then. Those Preppy Handbook fashions she wore on the show looked goofy and sexless.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    DOR said:
    Hated the laugh track.

batmon said:

Jamie Gertz ftw

But yes... Still got it.

Yeah, I've had a Jamie Gertz jones since "Less than Zero."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I went to college with this dude named Alec who was a total 'roided-out gym-rat who wore bodybuilder-style thongs under his Zubaz, and who spent much of his free time sitting in the tv room drinking gallon aften gallon of proteinated sludge and trying to lure people into arguments about the then-nominally-more-current Lisa Dean Ryan v. the "more classic" Jami Gertz. I did my best to not engage.

Square Pegs was my jernt, though. I remember when Bill Murray was a guest star (as a "cool" subsitutue teacher, I think? Every school had one), and there was some scene where they were all dancing somewhere, and he was clapping and egging on the cornrowed girl like, "Ugh, chocolate lady--do your stuff!" It was an early moment of racial concern for a young james. Like, "Dang, is it really okay to talk to black people that way?"

Anyway, I liked SJP, but the guidette gal was kind of a sleeper, too.

james said:

james said:
    Square Pegs was my jernt, though. I remember when Bill Murray was a guest star (as a "cool" subsitutue teacher, I think? Every school had one), and there was some scene where they were all dancing somewhere, and he was clapping and egging on the cornrowed girl like, "Ugh, chocolate lady--do your stuff!" It was an early moment of racial concern for a young james. Like, "Dang, is it really okay to talk to black people that way?"

I noticed a couple of 'make fun of white folks' comments as well as "you go girl" comments too.

The Jeffersons were already doin that on CBS anyways.

batmon said:
    james said:

Not her--the girl with the greaser boyfriend. In that picture you posted up top, she's the one in plaid. The more I think about it, her role on the show might have actually been The Valley Girl, but her last name was like "DiNuccio" or "DiNunzio" or something, so I always thought of her as The Italian Girl. Personal bias, I guess.

Tracy Nelson the like Valley Girl you-kno

batmon said:
    james said:

I noticed a couple of 'make fun of white folks' comments as well as "you go girl" comments too.

The lone black character seemed like an over-the-top parody of a lone black character. She did lay on the "soul sisterisms" a little thicker than she needed to. Remember the first episode where she sang the National Anthem? She must have preceded Bleeding Gums Murphy by a decade or so. (Remember the Simpsons' episode where B.G. Murphy souled up "The Star-Spangled Banner" before a sporting event and it took him a long time to finish?)

It should be mentioned that the same people who produced Square Pegs also produced the first season of A Different World, when Lisa Bonet was still on the show. Before that show went full-on Afrocentric, several of those early scripts looked like Square Pegs leftovers. Jasmine Guy's "Whitley Gilbert" character might as well be a black version of Jami Gertz ("Muffy Tepperman").

pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:
    james said:

The lone black character seemed like an over-the-top parody of a lone black character. She did lay on the "soul sisterisms" a little thicker than she needed to. Remember the first episode where she sang the National Anthem? She must have preceded Bleeding Gums Murphy by a decade or so. (Remember the Simpsons' episode where B.G. Murphy souled up "The Star-Spangled Banner" before a sporting event and it took him a long time to finish?)

It should be mentioned that the same people who produced Square Pegs also produced the first season of A Different World, when Lisa Bonet was still on the show. Before that show went full-on Afrocentric, several of those early scripts looked like Square Pegs leftovers. Jasmine Guy's "Whitley Gilbert" character might as well be a black version of Jami Gertz ("Muffy Tepperman").

Yeah. Cosby gave Debbie Allen the revamp job to rescue it from the Square Pegs folks.

DOR said:
    Hated the laugh track.

batmon said:

Jamie Gertz ftw

But yes... Still got it.

With all due respect to Ms. Gertz, she's looking fine here. But the chick in the foreground is damn near stealing her thunder.

Never underestimate the power of a tight top...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    DOR said:
    Hated the laugh track.

batmon said:

Jamie Gertz ftw

But yes... Still got it.

big Gertz fan.

what is this ^^^^^ recent pic ^^^^^ from? is homegirl still on TV?

I dont own any Devo. Where do I start.

• batmon said:

"Freedom of Choice", since it has "Whip It" will perhaps be more instantly palatable due to the familiar sound...but their genius is best summed up in the debut, "Are We Not Men.." IMO. One of their best songs "Through Being Cool" is on their 4th LP, although the entire LP isn't stellar as that track...Really any LP from the 1st 4 is a good place to start...

The_Hook_Up said:
    batmon said:

"Freedom of Choice", since it has "Whip It" will perhaps be more instantly palatable due to the familiar sound...but their genius is best summed up in the debut, "Are We Not Men.." IMO. One of their best songs "Through Being Cool" is on their 4th LP, although the entire LP isn't stellar as that track...Really any LP from the 1st 4 is a good place to start...

Rad

were they well oiled by the time whip it came out? did they get freakier as time goes or did they get less "artsy"?

were they more punk on the debut and then new wavey by whip it?

• batmon said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    batmon said:

Rad

were they well oiled by the time whip it came out? did they get freakier as time goes or did they get less "artsy"?

were they more punk on the debut and then new wavey by whip it?
    The hooks were more refined by "Whip It" ("The Girl U Want" is also on that LP, another huge hook new wave butt kicker) but the real change in them was basically guitars moving from the foreground to the background and the keyboards being the dominate instrument. The first LP is guitar driven with keyboards as texture (Eno produced it) but the construction of songs seem to come from the same aesthetic from their debut to their "Whip it" era. They got less artsy as time goes on, ("Shout" is super slick and boring) their most freaky stuff is found on the demos/basement recordings on the Rykodisc releases "Hardcore Devo 74-77"

Thx for tha Hook Up.....

A College buddy of mine was into Devo hard. He put me on to Frank Zappa, Flotsam & Jetsam, Metallica, Skinny Puppy etc.

When i got into Eno, Kraftwerk and other seminal Electronic acts I never returned to Devo even while being well exposed.

Are they even under the PUNK umbrella in their early years, or were they alraedy kinda past it in the 70s?

• You could call their 70s stuff punk in the same way one could call The Talking Heads punk...

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    james said:

Not her--the girl with the greaser boyfriend. In that picture you posted up top, she's the one in plaid. The more I think about it, her role on the show might have actually been The Valley Girl, but her last name was like "DiNuccio" or "DiNunzio" or something, so I always thought of her as The Italian Girl. Personal bias, I guess.

That's Tracy Nelson.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This thraed delivers. Classic Strut right here.

The_Hook_Up said:
    You could call their 70s stuff punk in the same way one could call The Talking Heads punk...

Back in the 70s punk wasn't as narrowly defined as it is now.

Which may be why it was a hell of a lot more interesting back then. An attitude, not a codified commodity.

pickwick33 said:
    Which may be why it was a hell of a lot more interesting back then. An attitude, not a codified commodity.

"Totally different head, totally."

The presence of Tracy Nelson and Sarah Jessica Parker in the same thread reminds me that I've been meaning to ask about views concerning the emergence and ascent of That 80s Nose (peace to pre-sellout Jennifer Grey).

But that is perhaps for another time.

• james said:
    (peace to pre-sellout Jennifer Grey).

major sellout. any Jewish girl gets a nosejob is banned from the seder table. just rep your shit.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    james said:
    (peace to pre-sellout Jennifer Grey).

major sellout. any Jewish girl gets a nosejob is banned from the seder table. just rep your shit.

A second cousin of mine (on the Jewish side) auditioned for the role and (family folklore holds) was denied the role for not looking "Jewish enough".