SCORPIOFF BEAT POLL: TRACKS AND VOTING INSIDE!

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
Hey everybody,
Please check out all the tracks then place your vote! There are less submissions this time, but I'd argue quality has improved if anyone thought that possible! Check them out below. They might take a minute to load up on the screen, be patient! VOTING ENDS 10/24!

1) Soul Slut Scorpio Bitch

2) Scrapio

3) Dennis Cappuccino

4) But Don't Call Me That Either. Call Me Hank.

5) Last Week of October

6) November

7) Rounds

8) Slow-Down-Scorpio!!

9) Coffey Plays Can

10) Score Peon

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Crazy to see all the different directions people went with this, got to give it to Rounds for the groove and overall feel of the track. Awesome job!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Meep said:
    Crazy to see all the different directions people went with this

For real. I love the variety here.

b/w

That Can shit is super-slick.

• The bar has been raised on this one.

Went with Soul Slut... Dennis Cappucino ran it close.

Liked #7 too.

• them drums on Round are nuts!
    heat all around

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

That Can shit is super-slick.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Hmmm... "Rounds" won't play for me and when I open it up in Soundcloud I get the 'record/upload' page.

Nevermind. Gave it some time and now it's working.

• #8 all day...breaks at 1 min mark are tight.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    Vitamin C!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    *Edit...my bad
    #9 for me. It reminded me more of 24 Carat Black Theme. N-X-E-T level. #8 is on some other schitt too, and #1 had the serious nod factor.

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts
    damn... big up to all the beatmakers, some crazy flips and quite a challenge. can't wait to see what the next one is! #1 was my favourite

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    3) Dennis Cappuccino - fuckin dope
    5) Last Week of October - so differently dope
    6) November = wow mind fuct
    8) Slow-Down-Scorpio!! - BOOM!
    10) Score Peon - dancing in my seat

as i listened i typed out shit for the tracks i thought were the illest^^^^ thats what i came up with...such a sick assortment of beats all so different, November stood out the most to me as i was completely not expecting it...such dope snare rolls, just a killer track, i'd buy that shit on vinyl if i could...sayin, remined me of some ol LTJ Bukem goods...

those are my top five in no order...

*Voted

• Hoping Nautilus is next.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Great job to all involved....you guys all killed it. Had to go with #8 as the winner however #6 (November) was very close...great D'n'B flip.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    #8 all day...breaks at 1 min mark are tight.

#8 = SICK

• 8, 9, & 10

im not sure in which order yet, and ill still give the others some more time to marinate. but those last three are killing it

i didnt even read what number 9 was called and the 24karat/biz/vitamin c baseline jumped out, super recognizably. then the crazy ass way the vitamin c melody sounds!! what!!!!!

• wtf tho, slowdown scorpio with the latin rhythms and keyboard madness!

• Amazing stuff.

-6 DnB Stylings, love it

But for me the winner has to be

8 GODDAMN, that's SICK

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The_Non said:
    There are less submissions this time, but I'd argue quality has improved if anyone thought that possible!

Indeed. Great stuff from everybody!

These three are my faves so far:

November (balzing uptempo madness)
    Slow-Down-Scorpio!! (guitar/bass stab sickness)
    Coffey Plays Can (mind blown)

With honorable mentions to:

Dennis Cappuccino
    Soul Slut Scorpio Bitch

Tough choice. Gonna let it marinate for a while before placing my vote.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is Hard! Great job by all!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The standard might actually be a little too high here. So far, there are seven on my shortlist. I'm gonna have to marinate on this one a little longer. Outstanding work, people.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Between 3, 8, and 9 for me.

And I might just have to give it to Can for covering one song with samples from another. Awesome concept!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

And I might just have to give it to Can for covering one song with samples from another. Awesome concept!

On second listen, that one's the clear winner for me. Amazing flip, right down to the drum programming. I've made breaks imitate other breaks before, but completely reworking a song to make it imitate another song? Incredible.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I like the grinding bad vibes of "Scrapio."

I've always thought that "Scorpio"--with that massed, piercing high end--was just an exceedingly harsh, mean record. It's got that great groove, but also a really grating, Bernard Herrmann Psycho quality. That's one of the things I love about it. "Scrapio" has that same kind of nastiness, but gets it on its own, with a sound that doesn't lean too much on the sonics of the original. I like concepts and flow and everything as much as the next two guys, but there's also something to be said for sheer relentlessness.

Nice work, whoever you are.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Impressing results, well done everyone!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Got to go with 8! It has a tinge of Stark Reality, at least that what it reminds me of.

• This is really hard. Great job Soul Strut!

• Wow you guys are sick, hard to vote on this. 6,7,8,9 are some of my favorites. Glad I bowed out of this one, I don't understand how some of the flips were done.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    After I voted, i was surprised to see that people are sleeping on "Last Week Of October". It's a shame. If I could vote again I would go for this underdog for sure.

• 8 is absolutely bonkers.

but how did he get that kind of bass purity?