Soul Strut 100: # 48 - Lyn Collins - Think (About It)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited October 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 48 - Lyn Collins - Think (About It)

The list so far:

# 100 - Jr. and His Soulettes - Psychodelic Sounds
# 99 - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
# 98 - Donny Hathaway - S/T (1971)
# 97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard
# 96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze
# 95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer
# 94 - Harlem River Drive
# 93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
# 92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
# 91 - Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
# 90 - Les McCann - Layers
# 89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
# 88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
# 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)
# 86 - Can - Tago Mago
# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go
# 84 - WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
# 83 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
# 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
# 81 - The J.B.???s - Doing It to Death
# 80 - Parliament - Osmium
# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
# 77 - Earth, Wind, and Fire (1971)
# 76 - Dr. Dre - The Chronic
# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)
# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
# 73 - Bob James - One
# 72 - Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces
# 71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau
# 70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs
# 69 - Steely Dan - Aja
# 68 - Quasimoto - The Unseen
# 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)
# 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you
# 65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level
# 64 - Archie Whitewater - Archie Whitewater (1970)
# 63 - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother
# 62 - Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
# 61 - The J.B.???s - Food For Thought
# 60 - Don Blackman (1982)
# 59 - Niagara - (Tiddies)
# 58 - Can - Ege Bamyasi
# 57 - Whatnauts - On the Rocks
# 56 - The Mohawks - Champ
# 55 - McDonald and Giles (1971)
# 54 - Darondo - Let My People Go
# 53 - Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping
# 52 - Beastie Boys - Paul???s Boutique
# 51 - Mulatu Astatke - Mulatu of Ethiopia
# 50 - Lyman Woodard Organization - Saturday Night Special
# 49 - Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

"Think (About It)" is a funk song recorded by Lyn Collins and released as a single on James Brown's People Records in 1972. The recording was produced by Brown (who also co-wrote the song) and featured instrumental backing from his band The J.B.'s. It was the title track of her first album.

Along with "Funky Drummer" and "Funky President," "Think (About It)" is one of the most frequently sampled James Brown-produced recordings, having been used on tracks by dozens of hip hop, drum and bass, and Baltimore club artists. The song appeared on the 16th volume of the Ultimate Breaks and Beats compilation series in 1986, shortly before the release of the E-mu SP-1200 sampler in 1987. This resulted in "Think" being sampled heavily in the ensuing years. Both the song's main rhythmic groove and a vocal passage known as the Yeah! Woo! break have been used as samples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_(About_It)

Related Threads

Lyn Collins - Think LP little dude question

Lynn Collins, Think (About It)

Looks like Dusty Groove raided the Tribune Company

Media

Comments

• ok, this is a bit of weird one. it's one of the better jb side projects but certainly not better than "food for thought" or "damn right i am somebody", "doing it to death" or even "breakin bread" and "jb monorail"... did it make it this high up on the list on the strength of 'think"?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    nice, such a great track and a dope album as well

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    YES!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Solid 5 track album to me, I like it, but I am more partial to her second effort better. By the way, has anyone ever seen a red label copy of this one because I haven't.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Solid 5 track album to me, I like it, but I am more partial to her second effort better. By the way, has anyone ever seen a red label copy of this one because I haven't.

I have a red label copy, but it is a german pressing.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    stratasphere said:

Is it on People or Polydor because I know Polydor was the label on all the imports. I haven't ran across an import of it in the field either. The European and Japanese Polydor pressings sound great by the way.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    finelikewine said:
    stratasphere said:

Is it on People or Polydor because I know Polydor was the label on all the imports. I haven't ran across an import of it in the field either. The European and Japanese Polydor pressings sound great by the way.

It is on red polydor and it sounds very good indeed. I have never seen another copy of the german pressing in all the years that I'm digging.
    I guess it is a lot harder to find than the american pressing.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    it only took 10 years to find a clean og in the field
    wtf?

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    An album thats never come my way, I must to admit to have not (knowingly) heard the album, though I presume I've heard tracks from it over the years here and there.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Err, hello,.... is this the Soul Strut? Anyone here like "funk music"?

.....too many mixed comments here. Sorry but this is bringing out the music fascist in me

In case you're scratching your head as to why this is at position 48 out of 100, let me just state, in my not-so-humble-at-all opinion, that the title track is an all-out uncompromising A-BOMB of funk. Few other tracks get anywhere near the king of explosive nuclear fire storm of energy that this MF releases. It flattens all in its path with extreme predjudice and demands nothing less than our awe and respect.

there, I feel a lot better now

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    tabira said:

.....too many mixed comments here. Sorry but this is bringing out the music fascist in me

In case you're scratching your head as to why this is at position 48 out of 100, let me just state, in my not-so-humble-at-all opinion, that the title track is an all-out uncompromising A-BOMB of funk. Few other tracks get anywhere near the king of explosive nuclear fire storm of energy that this MF releases. It flattens all in its path with extreme predjudice and demands nothing less than our awe and respect.

Hot Buttered Soul is better. ive never heard cats talmbout this entire album is essential.

some of these rankings have been voted by dudes who dont post here no more or are scurred lurkers.

this is some Funky Blackman Soul type bullshit. fetishized package > music.

other albums voted have like 3 utubes. why does this have one?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think it is a great album.
    Which might prove Batmon's point.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    batmon said:
    tabira said:

Hot Buttered Soul is better. ive never heard cats talmbout this entire album is essential.
    You're were talking about the whole LP, I was only talking about the title track. Still it's testimony to the pull of that track that it drags a good but not earth shaking LP up so high on the list, and overshadows a bunch of other tracks that still stand up very well on their own. So yeah, it's been on so many compilations etc that it's become a "funkateer's" clich??. Now you mention it I fell into that trap with the "funk a-bomb" shit. Dudes rarely separate the title track from the LP in their appreciation of either, well less than with other standout tracks on other LPs, because being the one-word title track, it's become synonymous with the LP, and overshadows a bunch of other tracks that actually stand up pretty well on their own.

batmon said:

other albums voted have like 3 utubes. why does this have one?

fixed

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

fetishized package > music.

Yup. Millie Jackson's Hurts So Good is better, too. That it hasn't shown up yet makes me think it won't even make the list. I hope I'm wrong.

The list is/should be for whole albums, not the one or two bomb-ass songs that are on it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    would people have cared as much if #48 was for the 45 of "think"?

• That Millie Jackson album is an effin' burner. I have been digging records for a while but just stumbled on this site. IMO this list is full of great records but yes it does appear some are in high spots because they sport one or two well used or "fetishized" breaks.

But overall this list is badass. Thanks for the tipoffs. There are a dozen or so I gotta check out.