Carlton and Shoes 45 question (Never GIve Your Heart Away)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
The LP version of this song is one of my favorite tracks of the rocksteady era but I noticed that the version I've heard on 45 is different; more stripped down. Has the bassline but not the horns or guitar. Is there 7" version that's identical to the LP version? Or is that what the 12" of the song sounds like?

LP version:

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    The 45 is from a lot later isn't it? Like the 80s? Its not uncommon for Mr. Dodd to have tweaked the mix 20 years on. I can think of a few other Studio1 rocksteady tunes that have multiple arrangements. I've personally never seen a 45 of this from the era. (BTW the 12" is on youtube if you wanted to compare). I can only think of two 60's Carlton 45s, "Love Me for Ever / Happy Land" and "You and Me / This Feeling". The latter is pressed on the UK studio1 and a JA blank which is extra-extra-rare. There are also three versions of their monster roots tune "Better Days". The LP version, the lee perry produced 45 (BREAD [UK] / UNDERGROUND [JA]) and a later 12" version

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Knowledge dropped. Pity: I'd love to have the LP version on a 7"

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    There are also three versions of their monster roots tune "Better Days". the lee perry produced 45 (BREAD [UK]

FINALLY got my hands on a copy of this recently, bit of rough press though (

Do you have the UK or JA press? I have a copy of the JA issue, and yeah, I'd definitely agree on the murky sound quality :P The 45 is for sure coolest to own, but the LP version is probably the best version of them all IMO.

mannybolone said:
    Knowledge dropped. Pity: I'd love to have the LP version on a 7"

Well don't give up hope. I still get surprised by what comes to light in the 60s JA 45 world (I'm looking at you SS lurker with the OG JA seven wonders of the world who never got back to me). If one did surface it would be rarer than rare tho'. Probably sell for a lot.

button said:
    Do you have the UK or JA press? I have a copy of the JA issue, and yeah, I'd definitely agree on the murky sound quality :P The 45 is for sure coolest to own, but the LP version is probably the best version of them all IMO.

its the uk press, same as this one in the youtube (which sounds ok)

• One of my all-time favorite groups to ever come out of the Studio One stable. Had the great fortune of seeing them perform live at SNWMF 10 or so years ago. One of the best tunes they ever recorded (imo):

• speaking of rarer than rare this one just got away for crazy money. at the top of my wants but i am okay with the fact that i'll never own it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lloyd-Glen-No-More-Trouble-Rocksteady-45-/261103084945?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=ux8qNTToQMZev5qQpAGMK4Ko/pk=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Rock A Shacka put out a nice re-issue of that recently enough, $10