Baby Shower music

oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
My sister -in-law and her husband are having their first child. She asked me to provide some music for the shower while people are eating and opening gifts. I'm trying to go with a Father/mother/ beauty/love theme. Need suggestions. So far I have

Faithful- DJ Rogers
Can't Take My Eyes off You- Lauren Hill
Beautiful- Tweet
Papa Don't take No Mess-James Brown
As/I am Singing- Stevie Wonder
Diamonds and Pearls-Prince
Your Daddy Loves You- Gil Scott -Heron
All My Life- K-Ci and Jojo
Any suggestions ?

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    oldnewsoul said:
    My sister -in-law and her husband are having their first child. She asked me to provide some music for the shower while people are eating and opening gifts. I'm trying to go with a Father/mother/ beauty/love theme. Need suggestions. So far I have

Faithful- DJ Rogers
    Can't Take My Eyes off You- Lauren Hill
    Beautiful- Tweet
    Papa Don't take No Mess-James Brown
    As/I am Singing- Stevie Wonder
    Diamonds and Pearls-Prince
    Your Daddy Loves You- Gil Scott -Heron
    All My Life- K-Ci and Jojo
    Any suggestions ?
    One suggestion: "Isn't She Lovely." Shit's even got a baby squealing/laughing at the end. Fucking adorable.

Also, for what it's worth: "Papa Don't Take No Mess" has a line about "Papa beat the hell out of us!," and that Gil Scott is about a marriage that's on the rocks. I only mention this because I can tell you from experience that even if you're thinking "Oh, this just has one or two objectionable lines--it's got the sound and the vibe I want, and it's gonna be a party type atmosphere, and nobody's gonna hear the objectionable shit, and blah blah blah", mark my words: At least once there will be a lull in conversation at precisely the second you least want a lull to occur, and the bad line will stick out like a sore thumb and you'll have some 'splaining to do. "Well, no, see, it's not...I mean, what it is is that...he's talking about...I mean..."

Exercise caution is all I'm saying. It's real easy for us record dudes to get shit like this wrong.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Goo-Goo-Ga-Ga songs tend to be kinda corny if u O.D. on them.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Smokey Robinson Ooo Baby Baby. I think that might be the complete lyric.
    James Brown I Got The Feeling. Same lyrics as Ooo Baby Baby.

Winstons Color Him Father
    Beatles Julia

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    So true. "Memory Band," "Sunshower," etc. are cool and all, but a little goes a long way.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was at my boy's kid b-day party last month and they were playing kid music for the early part of it. Shit got tired.
    The kids dont pay attention to that shit. too busy running around.
    Just play what you usually play for adults and have a genuine time instead of some forced agenda/theme...... IMO.

Thats like "scary" songs for 3 hours at a Halloween joint.

But....

• Throwing that "sometimes I get a good feeling" song on there would be interesting.

• batmon said:

Yeah, I'm not going that deep. I guess Debra laws has to be there. I have to be cautious. They're Christians , but I'm gonna have to broaden their palette a little bit.