anyone get GOT by the new facebook inbox/timelineleak?

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
today, as a new way to categorize your history of posting, facebook created a small coded window on the right of each "timeline" showing choice selections from years past. it appears that it included selections from your private inbox as well. i gave a quick scour and decided there was more than enough there to immediately delete the window, less for myself and more for the people around me.

anyone catch a bad one from private messages hitting the open net?

Comments

• loads of people at my work got bitten by it....s'why um saying cheating on your girl on facebook is not cool..

my timeline is fine... i keep it fairly clean on FB for the most part..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't see it on mine.

• my current girlfriend does NOT want to see the PMs i was getting yodel'd at with in like.... 2008.

:raw:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yup - nothing scandalous, but PMs showed up on my wall/timeline.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously, every report I've seen about this says that users are confusing old wall posts for PMs and I've yet to see a single screen grab that proves otherwise.

This is an example of what many are confusing as PMs (but they're really wall posts):

mannybolone said:
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously, every report I've seen about this says that users are confusing old wall posts for PMs and I've yet to see a single screen grab that proves otherwise.

This is an example of what many are confusing as PMs (but they're really wall posts):

I know the difference between a wall post comment and private message content. Content being key.
    Not really pressed about proving it.

• astounding that internet sites would back up the most powerful internet site on the planet.

only once had someone posted a phone number on my wall in the last 5 years, and I immediately deleted the post for their sake. today, that sidebar contained MULTIPLE phone numbers.

• What side bar are you guys looking at?

The years listed on the right (list starts with 'Now'), click on a year and when all the "activity" drops down, the right column has people who have posted on your wall....or sent you messages.
    It's under Friends and then it says "X number of people have posted on _______'s timeline." Scroll through that.

• bassie said:
    The years listed on the right (list starts with 'Now'), click on a year and when all the "activity" drops down, the right column has people who have posted on your wall....or sent you messages.
    It's under Friends and then it says "X number of people have posted on _______'s timeline." Scroll through that.

Do people actually look at other peoples' history like THAT?? Wow. I can barely keep up with what goes on the past hour much less looking at people's posts from 3-5 years ago! And that goes for my own posts!

• Now if old (or new) messages starting popping up on my CURRENT feed then, well, things could get reeeeeal ugly.

People do a lot of weird shit on the interwebs. If you are using FB to run guns, game or grass, you may not want to risk it!

• bassie said:
    People do a lot of weird shit on the interwebs. If you are using FB to run guns, game or grass, you may not want to risk it!

Yeah, I know that. I just didn't think people stalked other people to the point of going back 3-4 years. I don't do anything illegal, but it's still...to go back that far into people's FB history is crazy to me. Not unbelievable, just...crazy.

• I checked my timeline and all I see is wall posts back to 2009. None of my private messages got posted up public.

my two coppers.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Of course, what everyone should really be doing is checking their friends' timelines and making sure private messages we wrote aren't visible *there*, right? Seems much more embarrassing and damaging to me.

That said, when this story hit I checked my timeline and those of several close friends. I'll cop to having been an active facebook user, especially in the'07-'09 years, and I couldn't find a single exposed PM. If there was a leak, it doesn't seem to have bit me, or they fixed it before I checked into it.

onetet said:
    Of course, what everyone should really be doing is checking their friends' timelines and making sure private messages we wrote aren't visible *there*, right? Seems much more embarrassing and damaging to me.

Yup - and both parties need to delete the messages.