Sell your Collection

MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
You start getting older & are thinking about selling your records all at once.
What would be the best bid for your entire collection?
I started collecting in 1987 (funk, soul, jazz, hip hop, reggae) & have 10.000 records.
I would say yes to 100.000 euro cash.

Comments

• You wish. Do the discogs thang and be patient. if you sell the whole haul, you??ll be glad to accept 20 k max.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    On a related note, anyone checked the value of their collection on discogs? There's a thing on there that estimates your collection value based on average sales prices. I was pleasantly surprised by the total of mine, and there is still heaps of stuff I don't have up on it.

• Selling in bulk is not a good idea unless it's a collection of turds.
    There are not many people who are able (and willing) to whip out 100.000 at once.

• I did it, and regret it everyday. sold all my hip hop collection as one, mostly lp's and ep's, tonnes of raers and promo only's. it was in the early 2000's when the market for that stuff was still quite good, but I never got anything near what I paid for it over the years. why did I do it? I'm an imbecile

• leonleon 883 Posts
    You have a record store, am i right? Why not sell it there?

• the only way you're getting off 10,000 records for 100,000 is if every record is worth 100+ definitely go the discogs route..

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I just started unloading a portion of my collection, mostly through Discogs (which is insanely easier to list on than eBay).
    I've listed some major raers (as well as some more regular stuff) and in all, it's been liberating. I have no regrets. All of the raers I have digital copies of, and being able to listen to them is more important than the format they come on.
    Times have been tight for me lately, so the cash is definitely helping, and I've been able to purchase other vinyl from Discogs, stuff that I really will listen to, instead of some obscure raer library LP that just sits on my shelf.

• I've been selling to folks here who live close so if I ever make a mistake (bound to happen) I can call them back and see if they are willing to have a return.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    eBay

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    I've been selling to folks here who live close so if I ever make a mistake (bound to happen) I can call them back and see if they are willing to have a return.

You have to be a ficticious character.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    RecordBeast said:
    the only way you're getting off 10,000 records for 100,000 is if every record is worth 100+ definitely go the discogs route..

A third grader has better math skills than you. All he has to do is make ~ $15 per record (taking into account ebay fees and paying taxes on income) to reach the $100,000 mark. For a collection of any sort of quality this should be no problem at all.

I'm even guessing that some strutteurs with sick 2,000 LP collections could sell it all on eBay and get anywhere between $50,000 to $100,000. I bet Reynaldo's is worth $200,000+ easy.

I believe what Mr. Beast is saying is that in order to sell them in one fell swoop all anyone is going to offer you is ten cents on the dollar of what they are worth....in order to get $10 a piece for the entire collection they better be worth $100 a piece...and I totally agree.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

I believe what Mr. Beast is saying is that in order to sell them in one fell swoop all anyone is going to offer you is ten cents on the dollar of what they are worth....in order to get $10 a piece for the entire collection they better be worth $100 a piece...and I totally agree.

You are totally right. I poasted before I got any caffeine this AM. Apologies to DiscogsRecordBeast for misreading his post and insulting his maths.

As for the second part, that sounds like a pretty good way to get shafted for your hard-earned records. 10%???? I'd recommend floating the best 3/4 of your records to a consignment eBay seller (there are some seriously professional dudes doing this right now with great results), or just list them yourself. With consignment you'd get 60% if you can work out a good deal, not 10 percent. You'd pretty much have to take off two weeks of your life for some gruelingly long days just to list 1,000 - let alone 10K - if you did it yourself.

• I want to get rid of my records but people keep complementing me when they come to my house for the first time.

"Wow, records!"

"yeah"

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Here's a template for you. 3000 collection.

I did about 50 records on SS set sale. Decent stuff, flew well at sensible prices for buyer and seller, drama free give or take the odd Aussie.

Did two punk 45 clusters on eBay this month, took 2 days out of my life for about a thousand bucks, 150 records.

Will do another few rounds this year of rock and punk, another few g.

Couple more SS set sales, then that's all the juicy stuff gone to a better home.

Then about 500 to a charity shop. Then a bulk sale of the leftovers, small but worthwhile for a store or dealer.

Done inside 6 months.

• skel said:
    Here's a template for you. 3000 collection.

I did about 50 records on SS set sale. Decent stuff, flew well at sensible prices for buyer and seller, drama free give or take the odd Aussie.

Did two punk 45 clusters on eBay this month, took 2 days out of my life for about a thousand bucks, 150 records.

Will do another few rounds this year of rock and punk, another few g.

Couple more SS set sales, then that's all the juicy stuff gone to a better home.

Then about 500 to a charity shop. Then a bulk sale of the leftovers, small but worthwhile for a store or dealer.

Done inside 6 months.

The thing with catapult style is that all those records will be gone. Gone from your home and your town and perhaps your country, leaving nothing for future record browsing.

Rockadelic said:
    GatorToof said:
    I've been selling to folks here who live close so if I ever make a mistake (bound to happen) I can call them back and see if they are willing to have a return.

You have to be a ficticious character.

The thing with pushing records around town is coming home with more than I started. I might sell 40 records and then get a lead, or two, for whole collections.

• GatorToof said:

Even better, if you think you'd like to hear a record that you sold, you can just go round their house and listen to it.

It's a sensible idea.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Hi! I'm the guy who sold you those records. Mind if I come in and listen to them?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Hi! I'm the guy who sold you those records. Mind if I come in and listen to them?

This could work in the other direction as well. "Well, for $30 I'll sell you the record outright. But for $15, we'll just keep it at my house and you can come by and listen to it any time."