Badfoot Brown Liner Notes Appreciation

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I just got this recently FINALLY (Drewn thumbs up pic here____). I knew it was composed for Martin Luther King Jr's assassination/funeral memory. The Cos really outdid himself on this one, an amazing composition. What I was surprised and really liked is the liner notes on the album. He really takes you where he was when it was written, what each part symbolizes in relation to the MLK funeral procession. This part symbolizes people being sad/happy/talking, this part is where the procession passed a certain part of Atlanta where a some guy who didn't like Martin resided, etc. I wish more artists did shit like this. Hats off to Cosby!

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Agreed, and that song is so emotionally powerful. I remember that was the first song I thought of and listened to on 9/11.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Chris Johnson Bill Cosby came correct on those liner notes. Those are the most memorable liner notes I've read while listening to a record. Right up there with another favorite unipak LP--Maggot Brain.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I just got this recently FINALLY (Drewn thumbs up pic here____). I knew it was composed for Martin Luther King Jr's assassination/funeral memory. The Cos really outdid himself on this one, an amazing composition. What I was surprised and really liked is the liner notes on the album. He really takes you where he was when it was written, what each part symbolizes in relation to the MLK funeral procession. This part symbolizes people being sad/happy/talking, this part is where the procession passed a certain part of Atlanta where a some guy who didn't like Martin resided, etc. I wish more artists did shit like this.

Hats off to Cosby!

True... and if you actually listen to it, like we usually all do around here, on MLK day, your likely to let a few tears go... I know I do because I'm sensitive like that!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    First time I heard it in full, I'll admit to getting "misty."
    MLK was a dude who really did die for what he believed in, it's a goddamn shame most people don't know why he died, i.e. the Poor People's March on Washington. Ever listened to Lovin' Man by Eugene McDaniels? That song is about MLK and his womanizing.
    T.N.

Ever listened to Lovin' Man by Eugene McDaniels? That song is about MLK and his womanizing.
    T.N.

Thats a bangin' song...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Finally! A strutter who is on the same page as me. Yo mang, we should do some diggin in Philly when I get back.
    Peace
    T.N.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I wish more artists did shit like this.

I actually like reading Questloves liners too, injokes and nerdisms aside...

• Funny. Just the other day, I xeroxed the Badfoot liners for a writer friend of mine who was in need of inspiration. Nice to see we're all on the same page. What a beautiful song.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    whos gonna hook me up with a copy of this?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    $20-$30

Finally! A strutter who is on the same page as me. Yo mang, we should do some diggin in Philly when I get back.
    Peace
    T.N.

I'm waiting friend! I didnt forget about what you said before... I'm working on trying to get in the back rooms of my favorite thrift spot!... I may have to commit a crime and then later be placed in a half way house to do it though!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I just got this recently FINALLY (Drewn thumbs up pic here____). I knew it was composed for Martin Luther King Jr's assassination/funeral memory. The Cos really outdid himself on this one, an amazing composition. What I was surprised and really liked is the liner notes on the album. He really takes you where he was when it was written, what each part symbolizes in relation to the MLK funeral procession. This part symbolizes people being sad/happy/talking, this part is where the procession passed a certain part of Atlanta where a some guy who didn't like Martin resided, etc. I wish more artists did shit like this.

Hats off to Cosby!

And although a lot of words are used to convey the sentiment, I never felt that Cos (or whomever) said TOO much in the notes.

Martin's Funeral is, and will always be, a very emotional song for me, September 11th or otherwise. The first minutes of the song just spool in progressive loops whenever solemnity respectfully demands it.

Oh - much thanks to HCrink for the hook up.

Pickwick - tell me you're on this too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Until the day I find an affordable OG, when the hell will this be reissued?!? Scorpio, where you at! Classic album, just heard it at Luck's crib last week.

• whos gonna hook me up with a copy of this?

i saw one on ebay earlier today. i think it was 19.99.

i remember my buddy found three copies of that for 49 cents each at some sale. gave one to me cause he knew i wanted it.

dave

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Until the day I find an affordable OG, when the hell will this be reissued?!? Scorpio, where you at! Classic album, just heard it at Luck's crib last week.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a good one for under $20.