The Beasties @ Groove Merchant.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Stone me, Groove Merchant's changed a bit, hasn't it? A Duran Duran section in the 45s?

EDIT: OK, I gather that this is the o.g. location, which was a few blocks west of the current one. Apart from the location of the counter and all the boxes of 45s, it does look kinda similar.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I just watched all of that and now I'm not sure why.

• Herm said:

who can name the non-Mike D, non-Hurricane dude on the customer side of the counter @2:00?

• That's Mario C, Beastie's engineer/co-producer

• HarveyCanal said:

Because it brings back memories of diggin in the 90s and trips to SF.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Because it brings back memories of diggin in the 90s and trips to SF.

Reminds me when we had lists not smartphones...

• yeah that was a pretty tepid reel of footage. i kept waiting for a pan of the wall records. nope.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There's so much I absolutely love about this clip and so much that makes me sad too. This Groove Merchant location is gone. The McFaddens had a bitter divorce. Matthew Africa was probably working at the store around this era. And both he and, of course, Adam Yauch are now gone. And this wasn't *that* long ago (early 1990s) in the grand scheme of things

Cool Chris should bring back the Duran Duran section.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    The McFaddens had a bitter divorce

Yes.
    Must check in with Mike and find out who got the Tahoe chalet.
    I need a skiing sojourn.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    yeah that was a pretty tepid reel of footage. i kept waiting for a pan of the wall records. nope.

Even taking into account that it was obviously raw footage, a few decent pans of the wall would have been a no-brainer if I'd been shooting it. Interesting as well to see Mario C clocking that Free Soul comp of old Argo/Cadet joints that Kevin Beadle did for Charly, so the footage couldn't have been from any earlier than '91.

DocMcCoy said:
    tripledouble said:
    yeah that was a pretty tepid reel of footage. i kept waiting for a pan of the wall records. nope.

Even taking into account that it was obviously raw footage, a few decent pans of the wall would have been a no-brainer if I'd been shooting it.

Ha, I had the exact same thought. I wasn't mad at the reel - like Doc says, it's obviously some extra tape, pre-editing - but I did think, "wait, wouldn't it be obvious to flash the wall"? All I knew is that "African Rhythms" will still make the GM wall, then and now.

Not so much the Dyke and Blazers comp.

And the store opened in 1991 so yes, the footage couldn't be earlier than that.

• The first time I actually stepped into the shop was right around this time. I remember pulling that oness of juju off the wall, although Mike probably had multiple copies. Anybody catch that Frank Cunimondo "Sagittarius" in the bins? Yeah, kinda a bummer there was no proper wall pans, oh well. Trippy seeing Ione Skye in there too.There is actually another thirty minutes from this reel which is pretty cool. They walk around the corner up to Alamo square park and do a interview, then bump into some Fillmore kids that want to freestyle. Kind of neat snap shot for me. I knew this footage existed but never got to see it till about a month ago. Somewhere I have some photos of the wall from this era. I can try to dig them up.

• Also, Harvey I notice that you are consistently a Groove Merchant hater? What's up with that? Some girl diss you in there?

coolchris said:
    Also, Harvey I notice that you are consistently a Groove Merchant hater? What's up with that? Some girl diss you in there?

Huh? Wasn't hating on the store or the Beasties. Just hating on the monotony of the video.

And I don't recall hating on Groove Merchant any other time. Used to stop in there every now and then when I lived out there. Never bought much as I was more into going to swap meets and such to avoid paying collector prices, but great store nonetheless.

Wow, from 2008? Y'all got me on file.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

How can you listen to hip-hop and not understand why this video is a treasure? I don't really listen to much hip-hop and I get it.

• www.egotripland.com/page/2/

^When you click on "continue reading" they'll be links to the other parts of that San Francisco trip above the featured video.

• HarveyCanal said:
    coolchris said:
    Also, Harvey I notice that you are consistently a Groove Merchant hater? What's up with that? Some girl diss you in there?

Huh? Wasn't hating on the store or the Beasties. Just hating on the monotony of the video.

And I don't recall hating on Groove Merchant any other time. Used to stop in there every now and then when I lived out there. Never bought much as I was more into going to swap meets and such to avoid paying collector prices, but great store nonetheless.

Ha Ha. All good. To each his own anyways. I was just having fun. I normally wouldn't give a shit, but thought maybe I did something to salt you in the past?

Not at all. Long live Groove Merchant Records!

Not at all. Long live Groove Merchant Records!

Chris: What's in the storefront that the old GM used to occupy?

BTW, really random, but the guy who runs Rooky's was at The Last Bookstore/Records L.A. in downtown L.A. the other weekend. He and I were the only two guys there and he looked mad familiar and we got to chatting about how much the Lower Haight has changed. Small world!