something from nothing: the art of rap

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
watching this right now and just wanted to throw u guys the link, excuse me if its been posted on the board already..

http://www.soulculture.co.uk/culture-2/film-tv/tv-blog/ice-ts-something-from-nothing-the-art-of-rap-tv-catch-up/

Comments

• Saw the full (non-VH1) version last night and I found it very underwhelming.

• This shit sucked.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    It was WACK

• Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was lame.

Made me laugh the way Ice T was talking about being a wordsmith and a lyrical Emcee himself.

• 6 In The Morning is one of the best rap records ever, but the whole thing was more sandbagged by those ridiculous slow-mo areal shots, softball interviews, a strict, blindered focus on NY and LA, and no kind of discernible line between Grandmaster Caz and newer artists (of which there were too few). Ice T's access to big stars is admirable, but he should have enlisted some people to help with the writing and ideas. Shit was bankrupt.

Also, the part where he is with Q-Tip and starts shoo-Ing away the fans was just beyond wack. Secure your set, or be cool to the fans and onlookers, but trying to pull that superstar shit when you're on a Manhattan street corner with a handheld is lame as hell.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rhyme pays.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This has it merits but it sounds like it shoulda been made in 2000.

My biggest grip was Ice-T. He shouldnt be interjecting his experiences w/ the artists. Let them do they thang and shut the fuck up.
    Your not a "Master". Yes U laid the blueprint for Gangster shit, but fall the fuck back and let cats breathe. Your not on these cats level.

The whole " Why is Hip Hop Respected" question is on some 90's shit. C'mon bro. Its 2013 and dudes are on some after-school programming and shit. Its way too over-churned at this point to take a position like that.

I didnt learn too much, but I do like to hear cats somewhat discuss their process.
    Alot of missed opportunities with the fluffy questions. Fuck teaching a 'new' mc what u would teach him. Your 7 generations away from what these kids strive for. Its a legit question but not for the space/film he carved out IMO.

And can these muthafuskas omit MC Lyte and Salt-N-Pepa. Im sorry but they arent in the pantheon. Fake ass PC curating is doo-doo.

• I really hoped Ice T would become like a moderator/peacemaker of sorts, like a Hip Hop Jim Brown or something. He's too caught up in his own ego for that though.

• I thought it was ok but realised I'd be infinitely more interested with the equivalent doc about beatmakers rather than emcees.

• To the people saying this was lame, it's nothing compaird to the "Deep Crates" doc that was slapped together. Probably one of the most boring hour long doc with one of the coolest concepts.

• Chino XL

• Dawhud said:
    To the people saying this was lame, it's nothing compaird to the "Deep Crates" doc that was slapped together. Probably one of the most boring hour long doc with one of the coolest concepts.

How dareth you blaspheme the magnificence of Diamond D's uncontrollable sweat!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I enjoyed it. But I don't give much of a shit about rap anymore.

I think Ice T doing the interview was a good thing. You got a different perspective from the rappers than you would have got if the interviews were conducted by a hip hop documentary nerd or rap academic.

• it wasn't wack though was it.

If you've seen the VH1 version I spose it was wack, I found it impossible to watch with the swear words cut out, and even the brand names removed.

found a torrent and downloaded the full uncensored version, it's much better

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I made a little promo mix for the movie...maybe also more enjoyable for the ones who did not like the movie so much ;)

http://soundcloud.com/stickydojah/ice-t-presents-the-art-of-rap