BEAK> (Geoff Barrow-related)

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
Anyone else into these guys? Geoff Barrow from Portishead, Billy Fuller from Fuzz Against Junk and Matt Williams from Team Brick. Been listening a lot to both their albums lately. Kind of a kraut/psych/postpunk/whatever mutation with muffled vox. Heavy sound. They get stuck in motorik noodle a bit often, but I guess that's not the worst kind of noodle. I'd love to see them live.

Comments

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    I like the bits I've heard from Beak, just youtube clips whist killing time in work really.
    I had high hopes for the Anika album who I presume is a Beak offshoot, I like this joint a lot, but that was it:

• Love the Beak project! Great headphone music for long bike rides in my experience.

• I haven't heard the whole thing properly, but what I have heard sounded very John Carpenter-esque.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Parkz, I was actually wondering about that Anika stuff as I heard they were doing the production. Like that track you posted. Listening to some more youtubes now. I'm hearing more of a Adrian Sherwood/On-U-Sound influence. Interesting. I like this cover of "Masters Of War":

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    just checked it and that Masters Of War is nice for sure.
    And having just checked the LP (via juno clips) again it does seem ok, I was at first rather (possibly) unfairly critical of the album when I realised it was mostly cover versions, but on reflection it sounds ok, I also have the hots for Anika which makes me want to like it a little more than I probably do.

She supposedly has a load of her own songs but they are a bit "out there" (her words not mine).
    I think the clip I posted might be her own song.

• I really tried, but in the end I found it a little tedious.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've struggled a bit previously to really get into this as it always felt a bit too sideprojecty rather than a realised whole. The latest EP from last year though really worked for me and interested to see what they do next...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Beak> is pretty good, but Quakers killed me!!