Forgotten Records

GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
Ever forgotten records at a swap/gig?

Were they prestine? Did you get them back?

The Lost Generation - The Sly, Slick & Wicked

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I try to forget that I lent my Cleopatra Jones to someone and never got it back.

• talk about forgotten records...some got rid of a load...

Trash or Treasure: Maritime Conservatory Throws Out Thousands Vinyl Records

Some music lovers in Halifax are left scratching their heads after the Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts threw out what is said to be thousands of vinyl records into the garbage.

On Tuesday, a Kijiji ad in Halifax reported that 10,000 records were sitting in the dumpster outside the conservatory on Chebucto Road, describing them as ???classical, vintage and old vinyl.???

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/375704/trash-or-treasure-maritime-conservatory-throws-out-thousands-of-vinyl-records/

• left my "Schooly D - No more Rock and Roll" 7 inch at a gig.

somehow the sleeve was still in my bag when i got home... im still pissed about this.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    double postage

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i think ive lost everything - slipmats, record brushes, 45 adaptors - BUT records at a gig.

closest i ever came to loosin a record at a gig was oen time in toronto.. i dropped something..crowd was really diggin it.. so as i took off the previous record from the deck i did a rare (for me) celebratory hands in the air ..but as i hoisted the record it sipped outta my fingers and fell out of the booth.. rolled on its edge about 10 feet... hit a ceiling post beside the dancefloor... ROLLED BACK... and i reached down and scooped it up... everyone in the front row lost their SHIT and it was rounds of hi fives lke i did it on purpose or sumpin.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I once had a yellow cab drive off with my crate of records in the trunk while I was going to open the door to my place. I called the Taxi & Limo Commission and harassed the cab companies, but I never got my records back. I lost a bunch of OG Kool & The Gang and Meters LP's, EWF records I had owned since my childhood, tons of great stuff. I tried to take it as a lesson in not valuing material possessions too much but it still hurts my brain thinking about it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've never lost a record (knock on wood), but I've definitely misfiled them. I remember I couldn't find my Funky Technician wax for almost a year and a half--had the jacket right where it was supposed to be, but no wax. I finally found it stuck in an Earth, Wind & Fire jacket. Why was it there? I have no idea.

• My station only has one turntable so I have to fade between a turntable and a digital source. I don't have to bring a lot of vinyl with me with this situation. I don't always have to bring many 45s with me for the rock show and in my laziness in packing up and leaving I just sometimes slide a 45 or 2 inside an LP sleeve. I forget I do this and lose 45s for months at a time. Frustrating, but I keep doing it.

• I forgot "I had too much to dream last night" at a dealers house. Now it's, "gone, gone, gone." :-)

I called back to ask if it was still there, acknowledging that any carelessness on my part is my fault. They said, "No." So, I said if it shows up to call me back.

Occasionally, I see said dealer at swaps and if we are competing in the same crates they will jeer me about it. Like, "are you finding any electric prunes?"

I say, "oh no, I'm not finding anything."

• GatorToof said:
    I forgot "I had too much to dream last night" at a dealers house. Now it's, "gone, gone, gone." :-)

I've got an extra copy handy if you're interested.

• NerdAlert said:
    GatorToof said:
    I forgot "I had too much to dream last night" at a dealers house. Now it's, "gone, gone, gone." :-)

I've got an extra copy handy if you're interested.

Not right now. Thank you.

• Been scratching my head over my MCs Act Like They Don't Know 12'' for ages and still can't find the fucker. It probably ended up in someone else's record bag by accident after a drunken house party and it's only a reissue 12 so no real worries, except that the way it sat on the turntable was so buttery to scratch that first "Clap!" vocal

• King.Lewey said:
    Been scratching my head over my MCs Act Like They Don't Know 12'' for ages and still can't find the fucker. It probably ended up in someone else's record bag by accident after a drunken house party and it's only a reissue 12 so no real worries, except that the way it sat on the turntable was so buttery to scratch that first "Clap!" vocal

Sweet revenge.

• I started noticing some rock records missing a couple of months ago. It started with that Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas comp. I'd DJ'd a couple of weddings in addition to two regular nights that I do, so my records were a bit scattered. One missing record wasn't a surprise, though I did a few thorough searches for it and was starting to think I must've left it somewhere. Then another rock comp, Cherrystone's Rocks, was nowhere to be found. Those aren't records I bring out very often, though if I brought out one there's a good chance I'd grab the other. So I started thinking of other records that I might have had with those ... post-punk stuff like Au Pairs, Gang of Four, A Certain Ratio, ESG ... my King Khan records ... other comps like Forge Your Own Chains ... all missing. Even odd funk/soul like the True Soul box set ... etc. Gone.

I have a bunch of small record bags and often bring one along on DJ nights, so I figured I'd left one behind at one of my nights. I put the word out to my friends who own the record store I volunteer at and the folks at the two bars I DJ at. No one had seen them. And because I don't bring any of these records out very often, I had no idea how much time had passed since I last saw them. So I wasn't counting on getting any of them back. I even ordered copies of Fuzz Bananas and Cherrystone's Rocks and had started making a list of other records to replace. I'm generally pretty careful about my records so this was blowing my mind more and more as I thought of additional records and found them missing.

Anyway, I'm up in Boston with my girlfriend a few days after putting the word out, and a friend who works in the record shop texts me a photo of an entire crate she found buried at the shop. "Are these yours?" Holy shit yes. Turns out I'd left them there on Record Store Day when I'd spun most of the day ... and this was at least two months later.

I grabbed the crate from the shop as soon as we got home. It was crazy to flip through them and think of how long it might have taken me to notice some of them missing. Some I might never have noticed. It was definitely a lesson in both taking care of my shit and, at the same time, not being so damned attached to it. Those records that I'd never notice missing simply aren't that important in my life, and yet I know those are the ones that would've driven me mad if the crate hadn't been found. "What else did I lose?"