Massive John Peel show archive on Soundcloud (facemelt-r)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
Somebody has upped 458 (!!!) recordings of old John Peel shows of varying vintage onto Soundclod, from his pirate days on Radio London in 1967 right up until his final shows for BBC Radio 1 in 2004. I've not really had the chance to explore this yet, but I hope to soak up as much of it as possible before the inevitable DMCA takedown notice.

Those of you for whom John Peel has never been much more than a name uttered in awed tones by Brits of a certain age are urged to dig in. I recommend starting with the period from 1976/77 through to about 1985.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Those of you for whom John Peel has never been much more than a name uttered in awed tones by Brits of a certain age are urged to dig in. I recommend starting with the period from 1976/77 through to about 1985.

THIS

• Jesus! Excellent.

Met Peel once, he was very nice. (Yes, thats my Peel story.)

• Peel and Walters were 2 of the most genuine and humble people you could meet, his show was essential listening when I was a kid. Later on I got involved in booking bands for his sessions, John immediately gave me his home number and was quite happy to have a chat at home about music on a weekday morning and let you phone him while he was on at the studio 'hang on just got to play another record be back in a sec...'... 'sorry about that'. When he came to concerts he stood at the back having a pint and was always shy and embarrassed to talk to the acts thinking he was not worthy, not realising everyone thought he was a God. The sessions were a lifeline for acts who were often struggling to get by and a cheque for ??500 turned up for the privelige of doing a session. The session producer Dale I think it was, used to sit reading the paper in his cowboy boots until the pub opened, go off for a few pints then ignoring everyone in the studio mix it down in 1 take and to home. Great times.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    soulcitizen said:
    The session producer Dale I think it was.

That's him in the middle, isn't it?

(In B4 skel) ;)

• Yes that's him, I had to google - Dale Griffin, never even know he was in the Mott!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    soulcitizen said:
    '. When he came to concerts he stood at the back having a pint

That said, I once pogoed onto his foot at the front of a Fatal Microbes gig, and he was not anything other than totally sanguine about it.

Yes, Homey Bane was HOT.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    there's more on soulseek i believe

• *POOF* And they're gone...
    :latte:

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    barjesus said:
    *POOF* And they're gone...
    [del]
    http://soundcloud.com/search?q[fulltext]=John+Peel+Show[/del]

nevermind