2012 interview with Danny Dan The Beat Man(aka Dusty Fingers)

Beat67Beat67 22 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
hotpeasandbutta.com/diggin-with-danny-dan-the-beat-man/

Rare to see interviews with this guy.

I think this is only the 3rd one i've ever seen.

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i remember when phill interviewed him and he (danny) didn't want to be revealed. everybody, myself included, thought the dusty fingers guy was diamond d.

• damn, whole lotta vhs/dvd talk going on...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    damn, whole lotta vhs/dvd talk going on...

Indeed.

Overall, the interview is pretty disjointed

• SIRUS said:
    i remember when phill interviewed him and he (danny) didn't want to be revealed.

I hesitate to say this as i loved the Dusty Fingers series- they introduced me to lots of great music that was off my radar. I wonder what made him decide to reveal his identity, i mean (and correct me if i'm wrong) he's essentially a bootlegger isn't he?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    i mean (and correct me if i'm wrong) he's essentially a bootlegger isn't he?

That's one way of looking at it, certainly. But although those Dusty Fingers albums sold pretty well, he isn't really the kind of bootlegger that the BPI or RIAA would expend a great deal of energy pursuing. Moreover, I happen to know of a few instances where the material he used was subsequently licensed by others legitimately - sample clearances, compilations, ads, movies, TV, etc - as a direct result of being featured on those comps, so they ended up having a more positive effect than those things usually do.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Iirc he drew on the library and lounge knowledge on vg+ some years back, and then a slew of the tracks turned up on later DF volumes. Think they were a bit pissed off about that.
    Some of that stuff was ubiquitous 20p boot sale fodder.

Still get the odd pm requesting plaese to find and send Contour lounge raer as featured on vol 14 or whatever.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Spacecho said:

That's one way of looking at it, certainly. But although those Dusty Fingers albums sold pretty well, he isn't really the kind of bootlegger that the BPI or RIAA would expend a great deal of energy pursuing. Moreover, I happen to know of a few instances where the material he used was subsequently licensed by others legitimately - sample clearances, compilations, ads, movies, TV, etc - as a direct result of being featured on those comps, so they ended up having a more positive effect than those things usually do.
    Maybe, but he also made me have to download a Medeski Martin & Wood track, so fuck that dude.

True, it was an illegal download, but it still hurt.

Also, I heard a kinda humorous story one time about him hitting up record-dealer dudes for contenders for his compilations, and when they'd play him something, he'd keep saying he needed "more drama." Like, "Do you have something like that, but with more drama? And then drums?"

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    james said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Spacecho said:

Maybe, but he also made me have to download a Medeski Martin & Wood track, so fuck that dude.

True, it was an illegal download, but it still hurt.

Also, I heard a kinda humorous story one time about him hitting up record-dealer dudes for contenders for his compilations, and when they'd play him something, he'd keep saying he needed "more drama." Like, "Do you have something like that, but with more drama? And then drums?"

b/w