Clint Eastwood at the GOP Convention

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central

What's the verdict?

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Leaving politics aside for a trillionth of a millisecond since it's hardly news that Eastwood supports the GOP, .... I find it simply a bit sad to see the great man getting blurred and unsteady in old age in such a public way. No one should be wheeled out at that age, whatever the cause if they're not 100% in possession of all their faculties and on their game. He clearly isn't and would never have dithered on like that 10 or even 2 years ago.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    tabira said:
    Leaving politics aside for a trillionth of a millisecond since it's hardly news that Eastwood supports the GOP, .... I find it simply a bit sad to see the great man getting blurred and unsteady in old age in such a public way. No one should be wheeled out at that age, whatever the cause if they're not 100% in possession of all their faculties and on their game. He clearly isn't and would never have dithered on like that 10 or even 2 years ago.

It's like Heston in Bowling for Columbine x 100.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "Something to cry for."

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    "Get off my lawn."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It pissed me off.
    It was disgusting.
    Anti-American.

He knew what he was doing, don't give me that he was just old crap.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    He let himself, his country and probably the whole world down

tabira said:

Even baby unicorns?

• I don't really understand why Clint got involved. And I'm surprised that GOP wanted him after saying stuff like this:

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies-and-tv/201110/leonardo-dicaprio-clint-eastwood-gq-september-2011-cover-story-article

GQ: Yeah, but maybe between the movies you have some political feelings. [to Eastwood] You've described yourself as a social libertarian. What does that mean to you?

Clint Eastwood: I was an Eisenhower Republican when I started out at 21, because he promised to get us out of the Korean War. And over the years, I realized there was a Republican philosophy that I liked. And then they lost it. And libertarians had more of it. Because what I really believe is, Let's spend a little more time leaving everybody alone. These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriage? I don't give a fuck about who wants to get married to anybody else! Why not?! We're making a big deal out of things we shouldn't be making a deal out of.

He's 100% wrong that Romney is a feasible replacement, but he's 100% right that Obama is a horrible president who needs to be removed asap.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    It pissed me off.
    It was disgusting.
    Anti-American.

He knew what he was doing, don't give me that he was just old crap.

I was just about to post the same thing

Stop with the pitiful old man BS...he's a very intelligent man and he knew exactly what he was doing..

• HarveyCanal said:
    tabira said:

Even baby unicorns?

Oh completely

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    tabira said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    tabira said:

Even baby unicorns?

Oh completely

dude, specially baby unicorns.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    The_Non said:

jesus, i just saw the video, made it through the 6 min mark. talk about an old man yelling at the clouds.

still, there's a very interesting train of thought that, i suppose, is shared by millions of voters not really interested on or knowledgeable about politics, economics, etc:

-there's a serious problem in america
    -obama didn't solve it
    -let's vote for the other guy

i think it shows how a part of american (and other countries) population thinks. i'm not talking about their opinions or views, i'm talking about the way they perceive problems and their possible solution. there are no questions asked, no interest in seeking information to understand why certain things happened, not a thought on what is one's role on the solution, except going to vote every four years. there's a perceived problem and only two solutions in the ballot; one failed, let's go for the other one.

I've just been reading about this at NYT, FoxNews and CNN.

I am surprised that I am apparently the only one upset by this speech.

The news accounts all laugh at the speech, calling it weird and rambling. Every one having a good laugh.
    There also out of touch old guy and what where the RNC thinking?, analysis.

Eastwood is a politician and respected artist, who is a professional at memorizing lines and delivering them.
    He delivered a speech where he made the Commander in Chief of the United States Of America look like a foul mouthed fool.
    Insulting every US Soldier who has ever served in Afghanistan.

Compare the reaction to what happened when a professional comedian, at a private democrat fundraiser made a Bush and Dick joke 8 years ago.
    For weeks the press was screaming about how inappropriate it was to make an obscene joke using the POTUS and VPOTUS' names.

The speech was only half of what made me angry. The hatred for the POTUS and US Troops demonstrated by the crowds were just as upsetting.
    It was worse than when they booed that soldier during the Republican debate.

And this just in:
    DAVID KOCH BACKS DEMOCRAT PLATFORM

"Billionaire businessman David Koch has helped direct millions to Republican candidates but he disagrees with the party on gay marriage.

The Libertarian-minded Koch -- whose brother, Charlie, also is a big GOP supporter -- made the remarks Thursday on the sidelines of the Republican National Convention.

"I believe in gay marriage," the 72-year-old Koch told Politico. He was in Tampa as a New York delegate and to attend an event held by Americans for Prosperity -- the political advocacy group he helps fund and lead.

He also told the newspaper the U.S. military should withdraw from the Middle East and that the federal government should consider tax increases and defense-spending cuts to improve fiscal woes.

Despite the apparent break from several traditional GOP positions, Koch said he considers himself foremost a Republican, not the Libertarian he was in the 1980s.

He said he quit the Libertarian Party because it had "gone too far off the deep end" but supports the Republican Party because it has "a great chance of being successful."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

???I am an invisible man. No, I am not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allan Poe nor am I one of your Hollywood-movie ectoplasms. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids ??? and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me.??? - Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man

Sonofbaldwin.tumblr.com

• LaserWolf said:
    It pissed me off.
    It was disgusting.
    Anti-American.

Just curious, I too thought the speech was pure BS, but what was "Anti-American" about it?

• A good point by slate on what this means to the campaign as they throw Eastwood under the bus.

They screwed up the un-screwuppable. This was like having one of the featured guests at the State of the Union drop his trousers on camera. If you botch that, how are you going to execute the more complicated constitutional duties? Mitt Romney can't handle Clint Eastwood trying to do him a favor, and he wants to take on unfriendly negotiations with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Vladimir Putin?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/scocca/2012/08/clint_eastwood_gop_convention_the_romney_campaign_sells_out_its_surprise_speaker_.html

• The Democrats should get Christopher Walken in to deliver a monologue to an imaginary someone or other, to show everyone how good it could be.

• neil_something said:
    The Democrats should get Christopher Walken in to deliver a monologue to an imaginary someone or other, to show everyone how good it could be.

yeah, only that an empty chair would come off as less wooden than Romney

• Funny how he was saying that attorneys make lousy presidents... I guess no one told him that both Obama and Romney went to Harvard law school... Also, it seems he didn't really know Romneys positions at all (such as on Guantanamo and Afghanistan). Very embarrassing for himself, Romney and all those people cheering thinking he was somehow making sense

tabira said:
    LaserWolf said:
    It pissed me off.
    It was disgusting.
    Anti-American.

Just curious, I too thought the speech was pure BS, but what was "Anti-American" about it?

In my original post I started writing a full explanation, with historical precedents and footnotes.
    I thought it would just lead to a big soulstrut blow up and edited all that out.

I watched live and my reactions are the effect it had on me.

Summery, national tv, before the introduction of the candidate, trash talking the Commander in Chief and the troops, wild applause.

If others had different reactions that is fine with me.

bassie said:

???I am an invisible man. No, I am not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allan Poe nor am I one of your Hollywood-movie ectoplasms. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids ??? and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me.??? - Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man

Sonofbaldwin.tumblr.com

This is a brilliant way to look at it.
    Wait.
    Are you saying it is all about race?

• Someone on Twitter put it well- "Could you imagine the outcry if the Dems put a rapper with 7 kids by 5 different women on stage?"