Where'sTroy Swift (Wildman Steve's DJ) WBAU

litemus5litemus5 132 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
It's been about 14 years since Wildman Steve went off the air at WBAU. What ever became of his DJ Troy Swift that used to pull out the Rare Grooves, does he still DJ?

Comments

• Didn't Wildman Steve disappear at some point? Maybe I am remembering this wrong. Regardless, I loved this show so damn much. My dude Dkae used to bring me the tapes from LI every couple of weeks. DJ Riz is seriously one of the most well-rounded DJ's of all time. Great at the club. Great on the radio. Dope doubles and scratches. Where is the Sweendoggy Dogg? I KNOW he must have been tuning in to this on the regular.

• Options
    Didn't Wildman Steve disappear at some point? Maybe I am remembering this wrong. Regardless, I loved this show so damn much. My dude Dkae used to bring me the tapes from LI every couple of weeks. DJ Riz is seriously one of the most well-rounded DJ's of all time. Great at the club. Great on the radio. Dope doubles and scratches. Where is the Sweendoggy Dogg? I KNOW he must have been tuning in to this on the regular.

Nah man, I didn't tune into it that regularly unfortunately. I used to find the show by accident when I would scroll up and down the radio tuner while laying in bed but this was back in the mid to late '80s. I live a few miles from Adelphi so it came in nice and clear. I'd listen for a little while but wind up falling asleep or shutting it off when they would start talking. Never even thought to tape it, I didn't start doing that until I got turned onto Stretch in '93-'94. I DO remember that this was the first place I heard Public Enemy, I'll never forget that because as soon as I turned onto the station I heard Flavor for the first time and thought some crackhead had invaded the studio. When I started listening to Stretch I picked up on Mr. Mayhem and Riz at NYU then heard them talking about 'BAU one night, and realized that was the show I used to hear now and then. Kinda kicked myself for not taping it, but it wasn't my thing at the time so oh well. I'll gladly borrow some of those old joints from you if they're taking up too much space!!

The other thing, I didn't know shit about college radio back then. I'd try and find the station again the next night or a few nights later and they'd be playing some whole different shit, or not even be on the air at all at some times. I thought for awhile that I was picking up some pirate radio or some far-away station that only came in once in awhile. What did I know, I was only 12.

• Options
    It's been about 14 years since Wildman Steve went off the air at WBAU. What ever became of his DJ Troy Swift that used to pull out the Rare Grooves, does he still DJ?

Woops, forgot the whole point of the thread...sorry, don't know what happened to him BUT there is a guy who played rare groove on Nassau Community's radio station as of a few years ago and hosts a public access TV show also. I can't remember his name for the life of me but Phill would know who I'm talking about, he had interview snippets that this guy conducted on the Drugs cd (I think, maybe it was another one). MIght be the same guy, Nassau and Adelphi were the same station for awhile.

• THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN.. IM STILL DJAYING BUT IM MORE OF A CRATEDIGGER. IM GLAD YOU ENJOYED WHAT I DID AT WBAU. IT WENT OVER CATS HEADS AT THE TIME NOW MANY ARE COPYING MY STYLE ...HIT ME BACK

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    :hayek:

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Welcome to the board Troy!

Do you have any mixes online to share? Playing out anytime soon? I'd like to check your stuff out.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    :hayek:

Troy, ask, if you don't get that joke.
    How did you end up here? Did you google you name and find this 3 year old thread?

• ACTUALLY I WAS LOOKING UP WBAU AND STUMBLED ACROSS THIS. I MUST ADMIT I WAS SHOCKED TO SEE MY NAME. I REALLY THOUGHT PEOPLE WOULD NOT REMEMBER HOW I PLAYED BECAUSE IT WAS GOING OVER THERE HEADS BACK THEN(EARLY 90'S). I WILL BE POSTING SOME MIXES SOON TO HIT THE LISTENERS UP WITH THAT RARE RAW.

• Beat67Beat67 22 Posts
    Jspr said:
    I discovered the show on a trip to NY in 92 and taped Total Pack freestylin and a demo of a dope b-boy love ballad called Shorty Do by a group called Trendale(?) Anybody know have any further info on Trendale? Will try and upload if anyone's interested.

Could you up the show you taped?

Much appreciated!