Can we talk about Rare Earth?

2»

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    DustedDon said:

The B-side "Reality" is a nice psych-funky track.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

Pretty good album on Rare Earth records. Has at least one funky cut.

"Somebody ought to turn your head around" = Very good for cutting up. There's also that album by that dude that looks really folky, that has a banging break on it as well.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    TheKindCromang said:

Pretty good album on Rare Earth records. Has at least one funky cut.

"Somebody ought to turn your head around" = Very good for cutting up. There's also that album by that dude that looks really folky, that has a banging break on it as well.

Just settle for the single of "Somebody ought to turn your head around" as the LP is a one tracker IMO.

I love the Rare Earth label and the first three LP's by the group of the same name, with 'Ecology' being the winner. On a psych tip I love the "Lost Nation" LP, a solid listen to my ears.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    upskiboo said:

and btw, regarding the bedlam lp we talked about with the break, im pretty sure the US RE again has a changed cover, orig has a hand or fist rising up through asphalt, anyway recall that album having a drumbreak!

You're getting your Bedlams confused.

The album with the fist rising through asphalt was a totally unrelated UK band called Bedlam. They did not record for Rare Earth.

The album discussed previously with the breakbeat was by a US band from Rochester, NY. The album title was Bedlam. The band name was the Rustix.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    There's also that album by that dude that looks really folky, that has a banging break on it as well.

You mean this one?
    Attached files

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    There's also that album by that dude that looks really folky, that has a banging break on it as well.

You mean this one?

As you can see from the sticker on the cover, R. Dean's one hit was 1970's "Indiana Wants Me." I couldn't call it folkish. More like mainstream white AM pop-rock, ala Tommy Roe or somebody. Possibly the first Motown hit that didn't get airplay on black radio at all.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    ako said:
    tripledouble said:

this is the only pre-1982 rare earth record i've never seen ever.

The last album on Rare Earth Records was in 1976. And the last album from the Rare Earth band was in 1978, so they were long gone by '82.

heres where i get my info. maybe its wrong. i was referring to the band, not the label

http://www.rareearthworld.co.uk/discography.html

• RAER AERTH

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    upskiboo said:

and btw, regarding the bedlam lp we talked about with the break, im pretty sure the US RE again has a changed cover, orig has a hand or fist rising up through asphalt, anyway recall that album having a drumbreak!

The album with the fist rising through asphalt was a totally unrelated UK band called Bedlam. They did not record for Rare Earth.

The album discussed previously with the breakbeat was by a US band from Rochester, NY. The album title was Bedlam. The band name was the Rustix.

ok, thanks for the correction, two bedlams, both with a drumbraek, now im getting a little bit currious, anyone here have a link or a title for that particullar bedlam (US RE) track/ breakbeat ??? ;)

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

And, straight from the WTF Files:

...evidently released only in France.

Thats Phil Cordell, of 'Red Lady' fame, that is. Think that was released all over Europe, & it was a hit in Germany. Very odd record. Here's a strange, joyless performance on German TV, it's enough to give you nightmares.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    pickwick33 said:
    upskiboo said:

ok, thanks for the correction, two bedlams, both with a drumbraek, now im getting a little bit currious, anyone here have a link or a title for that particullar bedlam (US RE) track/ breakbeat ??? ;)

Here you go.