Williamsburg, VA, Recommendations

Moyamoya4201Moyamoya4201 65 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I'm taking a trip down to Williamsburg, VA for a week with wifey. Any suggestions for good spots to dig? We will have a rental car so transportation won't be an issue. Any help is appreciated, THANKS!

Comments

• Of course you can go to Colonial Willamsburg, but my wifey recommended the Trellis. It's a resturant and it's good eatin and any of the resturants and taverns in Colonial Williamsburg have good food. If you want beer Anheiser-Busch factory has tours and free beer sampling. Historical Jamestown tours are also recommended. If you want to go to a amusement park after you've visted the Busch factory move on down the road to Busch Gardens. Be sure to visit the Prime Outlet stores for shopping on Richmond Road has excellent shops. Add on with the tours, take a tour of the Colonial Parkway, it's a nice leisurely drive with plenty of scenic stops, also famous for the Parkway Murders that have never been solved (Hardy-Har). Wifey says there's plenty more to do it just depends on what you want to do.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Pierce's for BBQ. It's ok, I liked some of their side dishes better.

• Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    Of course you can go to Colonial Willamsburg, but my wifey recommended the Trellis. It's a resturant and it's good eatin and any of the resturants and taverns in Colonial Williamsburg have good food. If you want beer Anheiser-Busch factory has tours and free beer sampling. Historical Jamestown tours are also recommended. If you want to go to a amusement park after you've visted the Busch factory move on down the road to Busch Gardens. Be sure to visit the Prime Outlet stores for shopping on Richmond Road has excellent shops. Add on with the tours, take a tour of the Colonial Parkway, it's a nice leisurely drive with plenty of scenic stops, also famous for the Parkway Murders that have never been solved (Hardy-Har). Wifey says there's plenty more to do it just depends on what you want to do.

Many thanks for all the info! It narrows things down lots, both wifey and I appreciate the help. Do you have any recommendations for good record spots? Thanks again

• The_Non said:
    Pierce's for BBQ. It's ok, I liked some of their side dishes better.

Thanks man! Any thoughts on decent record spots?

• Moyamoya4201 said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    Of course you can go to Colonial Willamsburg, but my wifey recommended the Trellis. It's a resturant and it's good eatin and any of the resturants and taverns in Colonial Williamsburg have good food. If you want beer Anheiser-Busch factory has tours and free beer sampling. Historical Jamestown tours are also recommended. If you want to go to a amusement park after you've visted the Busch factory move on down the road to Busch Gardens. Be sure to visit the Prime Outlet stores for shopping on Richmond Road has excellent shops. Add on with the tours, take a tour of the Colonial Parkway, it's a nice leisurely drive with plenty of scenic stops, also famous for the Parkway Murders that have never been solved (Hardy-Har). Wifey says there's plenty more to do it just depends on what you want to do.

Many thanks for all the info! It narrows things down lots, both wifey and I appreciate the help. Do you have any recommendations for good record spots? Thanks again

Well, as far as I can remember there was Echoes off of 199 in Colonial Williamsburg back in 1996, but the Wifey says no longer.

• Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    Moyamoya4201 said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

Well, as far as I can remember there was Echoes off of 199 in Colonial Williamsburg back in 1996, but the Wifey says no longer.

That's cool, I'll just have to do some internet research, Thanks again!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    You should head further down 64 to Newport news and Portsmouth. There's still a few places.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Richmond is about an hour away and has some great record shops. Deep groove and Steady Sounds usually have some great stuff, you likely won't find anything rare in the $1 bin, but the prices are more than fair. On a rainy day the Virginia Museum of Fine Art is awesome too.

I was just in Williamsburg with my wife this weekend. If you have bikes with you, there are some portions of the capital tail open. Eventually it will run from Williamsburg to Richmond, but they won't be finished for a couple more years. The Charles City Courthouse section is about 7 miles and is a really nice ride. Jamestown beach is pretty low key and is only about 15 minutes from town. I highly recommend checking out some of the nature trails and beaches.

• If you're light on cash remember that The Trellis is a 5 star restaurant. Overrated too. Good seafood at Barrett's, great ~$10 lunches with a deep microbrew selection at the Green Leafe Cafe. And Pierce's is solid if you like pulled pork. You'd have to get out of town a bit for records, not sure if Richmond is worth the drive if this is a vacation.