Anders Breivik gets 21 years.

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
What a shame, said no-one, ever.

Although he's been given the maximum possible sentence under Norwegian law, there remains a possibility - even if it's only a theoretical one - that he may one day be released. Therefore, despite being the worst mass murderer in his country's history, he owes both his life and any future likelihood of freedom to precisely the kind of liberal democracy he sought to destroy. Proof that fascists are amongst the most stupid people alive.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Still makes me shudder every time I read about this case. Hollow-tip bullets. Pretending to be the 5-oh. Saying he was there to save them... So cold.

You'd think, given the old "Unpleasantness" of 1939-1945, that the Norwegians would (:no beatles:) be keen to stamp der right-wing out - it surprised me that it's a fairly high-profile movement over there. All the Norwegians I've met were neo-hippies.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Although he's been given the maximum possible sentence under Norwegian law, there remains a possibility - even if it's only a theoretical one - that he may one day be released.

Can they keep him locked up longer than what the maximum penalty calls for?

Dude is 33 and if he serves his full sentence will be 54 when he gets out.....this seems more realistic than theoretical.

And he claims he'll do it again if given the chance.

Should have moved the trial to Texas where we could have applied the "He Needs To Be Kilt" statute and rid the earth of this scum.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Although he's been given the maximum possible sentence under Norwegian law, there remains a possibility - even if it's only a theoretical one - that he may one day be released.

Dude is 33 and if he serves his full sentence will be 54 when he gets out.....this seems more realistic than theoretical.

Should have moved the trial to Texas where we could have applied the "He Needs To Be Kilt" statute and rid the earth of this scum.

They can keep him locked up as long as he is considered dangerous to society which, based on his own words, means he will most likely spend the rest of his life behind bars.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DocMcCoy said:

I think the option is there for them to extend the sentence if he's still perceived to be a threat.

I'm inclined to think that 21 years is ample time to reflect upon one's transgressions and the wisdom of the paths one has chosen, especially when they've led to a four-cornered room. I've been hearing variations on the kind of apocalyptic rhetoric peddled by Breivik for as long as I can remember - "In ten years' time, the white man will be a minority in his own country, just mark my words", that kind of thing. For all the certainty of the people who spout that stuff, I'm still not seeing it or anything like it. I don't see white people conceding power or having it taken from them anywhere. But I digress. It'd be ironic if Breivik was released from prison to discover a society not altogether dissimilar to the one from which he was removed 21 years earlier.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    He wore suit and tie throughout, like maybe his lawyer had advised it would create a good impression.

Dude killed 77 people.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'm quite sure the people of Norway are better off with their own higher order of civilization.

is that a Norman Mailer quote?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'm quite sure the people of Norway are better off with their own higher order of civilization.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Read This [No Self Promotion]

http://newblackman.blogspot.com/2011/09/aint-nothing-gettin-corrected.html

[/No Self Promotion]

• DocMcCoy said:
    Therefore, despite being the worst mass murderer in his country's history, he owes both his life and any future likelihood of freedom to precisely the kind of liberal democracy he sought to destroy. Proof that fascists are amongst the most stupid people alive.

I agree with this.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

[/No Self Promotion]

nice and interesting read. Props for quoting Foucault ;-)

[/No Self Promotion]

Good reading, thanks.

However, Norway is more than able to afford the dehumanisation of its incarcerated if it wants to; it has socked away it's oil revenues all these years and now sits on a huge pile of sovereign wealth fund, somewhere approaching a trillion bucks of investments.

But to their immense credit, they choose not to go down that route.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    Maximum of 21 years (252 months) divided by 77 lives = a little more than 3 months per victim?!?! Hope this dude gets some brutal 'Short Eyes' treatment.

^^^^^^
    And this sort of hunger for revenge is a prime reason why the US correctional-rather-than-rehabilitational approach will always result in return rates in jails higher than Norway's.

Read the Non's link.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    Rockadelic said:

One thing that I found interesting was his assertion that he'd challenge the court if they found him insane. Was this an attempt at reverse psychology - surely the act of a madman would be to insist on a longer, more grueling punishment (or are Norwegian mental institutions worse than their prisons?). This and his 'apology' for not having killed more furthered his credentials as an unrepentant bad guy worthy of a Batman movie.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think he wants to make sure nothing will diminish the attribution.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    finelikewine said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    Rockadelic said:

One thing that I found interesting was his assertion that he'd challenge the court if they found him insane. Was this an attempt at reverse psychology - surely the act of a madman would be to insist on a longer, more grueling punishment (or are Norwegian mental institutions worse than their prisons?). This and his 'apology' for not having killed more furthered his credentials as an unrepentant bad guy worthy of a Batman movie.

He wants to be an inspiration to others, a soldier and martyr, rather than the sad confused man he really is. But there's no doubt he knew what he was doing, he's a disturbed person but definitely accountable in the legal sense, from what I've seen and heard.

Can't help breathing a sigh of relief that very few "madmen" have the level of discipline/obsession ABB has...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Yeah, fingers crossed that his dedication is matched by the Norwegian authorities.

All of his actions seem insane to me btw.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Paying to lock this guy up for life is the ultimate stupidity. Kill him now!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Without getting into how every country handles imprisonment, I do think Norway's approaches make heaps more sense than the American model - and to some extent, the Canadian one - but I won't lie, it bugs the fuck out of me that this is where he'll be living. I am not suggesting a concrete, secretion-stained box , but this cute college dorm is too much. Literally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19354906

(not his room, but an example of one)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I should have known they went to Ikea to furnish the cells.

Do the inmates have to put their furniture together themselves with those little allen wrenches?