"Hip Hop" Gear MIA?

2»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    empanadamn said:

Yeah... hell yeah...

As much as I abhor white folks doing the adaptation of rap stuff to be zany, I was really a fan of these MTV spots. Thanks to you, I'm now piecing together the origin of these sayings that've lingered in my head after all these years that tend to come out of my mouth with no response.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    doubl??

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    empanadamn said:

Yeah... hell yeah...

As much as I abhor white folks doing the adaptation of rap stuff to be zany, I was really a fan of these MTV spots. Thanks to you, I'm now piecing together the origin of these sayings that've lingered in my head after all these years that tend to come out of my mouth with no response.

These spots were fucking amazing--Toby Huss is goddamn hilarious. There was another one (can't find it on YT) where he covers Onyx's "Slam," turns the chorus shout into a croon of "haaaaaam!", follows it with, "let the boys be fellas," and finally tells his band "Alright, let's cut this crap and go get a sandwich." To this day, I can't hear any reference to "Slam" without singing, "Let the boys be fellas."

Oh, and on the non-rap side, the version of "Jeremy" is pretty great. "Jeremy spoke--that crazy kid! Jeremy spoke--that kook, that nut! Jeremy spoke--you can't shut him up!"