RIP Tony Scott

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
Dude jumped off a bridge and committed suicide. True Romance is one of my favorite flicks. RIP.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    it's gotta be hard when your brother directed Blade Runner and Alien.

but I appreciate Tony's catalogue. I'm a big fan of Spy Game.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    really sad - suicide is a such a head trip. i hope his family (including young kids) can cope with this.

true romance is classic.

• damn, this happened right where i live.
    so sad.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Kind of a weird statement given the guy had his own major successes.

He had inoperable brain cancer.

bassie said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

the statement had nothing to do with his suicide. I've been a fan of dude's for a long time and I've always wondered if he felt like he was in his brother's shadow. ridley scott is a household name, while many have/had never heard of Tony.

maybe he's bigger in Canada.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I wouldn't know. I hardly ever travel outside of Toronto.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    I wouldn't know. I hardly ever travel outside of Toronto.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    His wife says she was unaware he was suffering from terminal brain cancer.

She told police that any information that her husband suffered from a brain cancer or a tumour were "absolutely false" and that he did not suffer from any serious illness.

Obviously he was in a very dark place, mentally, to end it like this. Saddening.

• lamaslamas 39 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    bassie said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

the statement had nothing to do with his suicide. I've been a fan of dude's for a long time and I've always wondered if he felt like he was in his brother's shadow. ridley scott is a household name, while many have/had never heard of Tony.

I don't think his brother is casting that much of a shadow. A quick search shows Ridley is the 16th highest grossing director of all time, while Tony is 20th. Tony's films average more per. I don't think the average movie goer has any idea who either of them are.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    lamas said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    bassie said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I don't think his brother is casting that much of a shadow. A quick search shows Ridley is the 16th highest grossing director of all time, while Tony is 20th. Tony's films average more per. I don't think the average movie goer has any idea who either of them are.

You're probably right about Tony but I would wager that Ridley's name is well known to a fair proportion of those that go and watch his films. They may not be familiar with his entire backlog but he's definitely a director who makes up part of the "package" sold in trailers.

I haven't read any of the obituaries so not sure whether I'm rehashing a common assumption here but, to me, regardless of how I feel about a lot of his films, Tony's legacy is the structure and style of the modern blockbuster. The films of people like Michael Bay are basically an extended template of what Scott started with Top Gun: Gleaming mechanics and humans, unnecessary tints on the camera, power tunes accompanying everything.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Basically, 2hr adverts ;)

Junior said:
    lamas said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    bassie said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

You're probably right about Tony but I would wager that Ridley's name is well known to a fair proportion of those that go and watch his films. They may not be familiar with his entire backlog but he's definitely a director who makes up part of the "package" sold in trailers.

I haven't read any of the obituaries so not sure whether I'm rehashing a common assumption here but, to me, regardless of how I feel about a lot of his films, Tony's legacy is the structure and style of the modern blockbuster. The films of people like Michael Bay are basically an extended template of what Scott started with Top Gun: Gleaming mechanics and humans, unnecessary tints on the camera, power tunes accompanying everything.

Exactly re: the name recognition.

Ridley's trailers are more likely to have the voiceover saying "from Director Ridley Scott..."

while Tony's are more likely to say "From the Director of Man on Fire...."

I don't think they had the same level of name recognition at all.