6 feet under series final

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
so what did y'all think? i absolutely loved the last 5 minutes. i thought it was a hugely creative way to end a creative show. although a lot of the things in the episode tied up a little too neatly for my taste. i thought it was good though.

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    what happened in the end ?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

so what did y'all think? i absolutely loved the last 5 minutes. i thought it was a hugely creative way to end a creative show.
    man, i think you must have fallen asleep, and woke up in a dream world. that last part ruined everything... thet most corny, and unnecessary thing i never would've expected from such a good show. like taking a swig of chew spit by mistake.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    it was whatever. I liked the last five minutes. the last few episodes I saw were crazy. the whole shit spiraled out of control. Nate died? craziness. finale was decent though I thought. I agree, a little to neat, but decent nonetheless. as far as finales go....

• I've never seen the show..but my girlfriend absolutely loved it. All I know is she was ballin' pretty hard after it was over.

Nah, it was nice the way they ended it. The whole show is about life and death and moving on and that's exactly what the end showed.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    i wasn't mad at it. ok actually i cried.

however:

the makeup at the end was kind of shitty. it's hard to make young people look old, but they've been doing really creative makeup to make people look dead (and all kinds of fucked up) all along so it seems like they could have done a little better with old.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

so what did y'all think? i absolutely loved the last 5 minutes. i thought it was a hugely creative way to end a creative show.

man, i think you must have fallen asleep, and woke up in a dream world. that last part ruined everything... thet most corny, and unnecessary thing i never would've expected from such a good show. like taking a swig of chew spit by mistake.

i was definately hoping that they had some crazy plot twists at the end (i was waiting for that baby to be dead) but in the back of my mind i knew they would just tie up the show just like all other series finales do...the only interesting thing was that no one died at the beginning, but everyone died at the end...but other then that it was just "we are all a happy family now" blah blah, but the show is amazing so im gunna

• disappointed in the last five minutes and...

the makeup at the end was kind of shitty.

interesting idea but subpar execution. woulda actually prefered the clich??d 'claire drives off into the sunset for a new beginning in new yawk' ending.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    disappointed in the last five minutes and...

interesting idea but subpar execution. woulda actually prefered the clich??d 'claire drives off into the sunset for a new beginning in new yawk' ending.

i'll agree that the makeup was shitty. i don't think i've ever seen old person makeup that was good though. old ruth was ok i guess, but she kind of reminded me of the mom from requiem for a dream.

in terms of the end, to me it just reminded me how fucking short life is. one day you're 23 and the next thing you know you're 80 (if you're lucky) and the shit is almost over. it didn't really matter how everybody died or anything, i just thought it was a pretty powerful image to flash between the death scenes and claire's drive. all right, i gotta go live now bitches.

i was definately hoping that they had some crazy plot twists at the end (i was waiting for that baby to be dead) but in the back of my mind i knew they would just tie up the show just like all other series finales do...the only interesting thing was that no one died at the beginning, but everyone died at the end...but other then that it was just "we are all a happy family now" blah blah, but the show is amazing so im gunna
    okay, i'm sorry for the negativity, i just thought the very end could have been omitted to salvage the integrity of a typically brilliant show. i thought ruth looked like chewbacca in that last shit.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

okay, i'm sorry for the negativity, i just thought the very end could have been omitted to salvage the integrity of a typically brilliant show. i thought ruth looked like chewbacca in that last shit.

im not bashing, im somewhat agreeing, becuase the show was so groundbreaking and unexpected i was hoping they would do something crazy in the end, but i knew they would most likely take the dedicated route and end it by settling all the characters into their lives, giving the show a closing in sorts...

There's still some open areas. I'd bet Maggie's pregnant with Nate's baby.

And as far a cliche goes, Keith got murdered, Claire didn't get her job, Rico turned out to be a c%$#sucker...I don't think it was too cliche.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

ya what the fuck was that about...at the doctors office then they dont show her again...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

And as far a cliche goes, Keith got murdered, Claire didn't get her job, Rico turned out to be a c%$#sucker...I don't think it was too cliche.

Rico was greedy all along

• Me and wifey were tearing up by the end. The finale, even the last 5 minutes, made sense to me. The show was at least partially about mortality and human relationships, so it made sense to follow each main character to his/her end, despite that it's a little cliche. It was saying, yes, Nate's death, all these deaths and events in the series left an impression on those they left behind, but look at the big picture of life. Very zen-like, appreciate the moment ("don't try to capture it claire, it's already gone") but be humble and don't fight mortality. Because it's hard to optimistic about that part of life: billions of humans and not one has lived forever. 50 years really ain't that long.

For all the ways Nate hurt people, he also helped them. George stuck by Ruth. Brenda died listening to Billy drone on about his emotions. David came to terms with inheriting the family business - people might need to move, like Claire, but maybe the reason they feel the need to move is linked to their own mental state. People change in a lot of ways but they also don't.

I was trying to think of the end message of the series before the finale, and I knew it would be more hopeful than pessimistic. However short life is, it's pretty amazing. Appreciate.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

i'll agree that the makeup was shitty. i don't think i've ever seen old person makeup that was good though.

but making an older man look young again was done with perfection in...

seriously, though... i just watched this last night and this sums up my thougts pretty well: "'Six Feet Under' was a beautiful series, and it's finale will suffice." "Suffice" however, does not mean impress. whereas almost every episode was a goldmine in its own right (time to take a second to reminisce), the finale offered up a disappointing conclusion.
    yes, everything got wrapped up in way too pretty of a bow in the final third part of the episode. one moment, david's going nuts and needs to be sent away from his family, the next he's healthy enough to confront his demons in his nightmares. then he and keith decide to keep the family business themselves?! that's ludicrous. can you imagine them trying to raise their two hellish orphans in that place? i would have been much happier if the finale ended with the whole fisher family selling the property.
    ruth's despondency got wiped away in a similarly abrupt fashion. "this is the worst thing that could ever happen to somebody" to "i want to play with dogs" and all's well. fuck that.
    as far as the final montage, it was cool. everyone dies. everyone needs to let go. that was the whole moral of the show, and those last minutes seem like a pretty obvious method to drive that home. but definitely nothing special. what bothered me was the prius commercial!
    overall, i am sad and a little disappointed that i was able to come away from the show with a bad taste left in my mouth. really, the past two seasons couldn't compare to those that came before, and it makes me happy that jerry stepped away from seinfeld when he did.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For real - it's tough to end a series. Look at how many of them more or less flopped:

*Seinfield - do I even need to explain this?
    *Friends - at least two seasons overdue, maudlin and predictable.
    *Sex and the City - look, I liked the show and even I thought the last eppy was so sugar-coated, it gave me cavities.
    *Twin Peaks - whatever.
    *X-Files - like Friends, it was two seasons overdue.

To me, some classy (or at least decent) endings:

*Cheers - sentimental but not overly so.
    *Star Trek TNG - satisfying in a geeky way

I, for one, will be very curious to see how The Sopranos ends.