the fu@k is going on here? (hip hop r)

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
i'm missing it. NEW SINGLE. DISCUSS

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's not the worst thing I've ever heard...
    Check your PMs btw

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Hey, I haven't heard from them since the "guitar tuner blowing up the Trade buildings" fiasco.

• The "lets try to appeal to everyone" thing never pans out

• N.E.R.D.?

Sounds a lot like what they do live these days. Not hating it, but at this point I listen to The Coup more for good lyricism than their music.

• StoneHands said:
    The "lets try to appeal to everyone" thing never pans out

exactly what i was thinking. that and also "I suppose will.i.am as the bird he played in Rio could have made something that sounds and is topically very similar"

i'm sticking with my man psy

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I like it, although for a minute there I kept thinking "Black Eyed Peas..?"

People will cry "sellout", but I'm not mad. I guess he figures it's worth a shot in an election year.

• Sounds like something Everlast would put out now.
    Remember Everlast?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Couldn't get past the 1:20 mark. This song is poison to my ears.

Sorry,
    parallax

• StoneHands said:
    Sounds like something Everlast would put out now.
    Remember Everlast?

this thraed has potential

• i think this would make an amusing 15-20 second interlude(hook part only) but as a song n.a.g.l.

peace, stein. . .

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm not 100% mad at this. Gotta give it a few more listens.

Also, I say more Outkast or Gnarls Barkley than Will.N.Em.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I've only really heard the first three albums by The Coup so i'm not sure if this is a big departure musically from what they've been doing since then.. but i'm guessing that yes it is.

Lyrically i thought it was ok. If i'm not giving Boots too much credit, is the message of the song that when 'the people' are unified in demanding what they want that its a powerful thing? Eg. if you imagine a crowd at a concert clapping for the artist to come back out to perform an encore there's an undeniable feeling of strength and unity?

Maybe i'm reading too much into it. Musically it is pretty weak.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    This would kill in an Aerobics for Toddlers DVD.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    I've only really heard the first three albums by The Coup so i'm not sure if this is a big departure musically from what they've been doing since then.. but i'm guessing that yes it is.

Lyrically i thought it was ok. If i'm not giving Boots too much credit, is the message of the song that when 'the people' are unified in demanding what they want that its a powerful thing? Eg. if you imagine a crowd at a concert clapping for the artist to come back out to perform an encore there's an undeniable feeling of strength and unity?

Maybe i'm reading too much into it. Musically it is pretty weak.

I think it's just different, rather than weak. It ain't a hip-hop record as most people would know it, but as a sort of "Outkast meets early Stooges" kind of thing, it works really well.

The kind of hip-hop Boots makes has been largely disregarded by hip-hop's core audience for such a long time that I can't really blame him for trying to take his message to another audience via a different method. I understand the scepticism and the suggestion that this is just a blatant attempt to reach a more mainstream audience, but dude isn't really compromising himself that much. This is a guy who was in the New York Times a few weeks ago describing himself as a communist - there's only so far someone like that can ever hope to cross over.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

I think it's just different, rather than weak.

Yes, probably the wrong choice of words. I just meant musically its not my thing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Pile on the right guard, we got serious funk.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Delete

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    parallax said:
    Couldn't get past the 1:20 mark. This song is poison to my ears.
    Sorry,
    parallax

damn i couldnt make it past the 50 second mark..

JectWon said:
    This would kill in an Aerobics for Toddlers DVD.

^^ there is some serious truth to this, when you play the track and watch this kid there is a lot of WOW! going on... love that cyborg t-shirt hes sportin' also.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I suspect I'm not alone in (a) considering their first 2 albums classics, (b) having a lot of love for Boots and Pam as people/artists, and (c) quietly cringing at much of their output over the last few years.

• Sounds like they were listening to The Go Team and Outkast and then decided to make a song that wasn't as good as either of them.