What's the best way to learn piano on your own?

finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I want to learn to play the piano, but unfortunatly I don't have the money or time to take lessons. At the moment I'm trying to learn things from tutorial videos on youtube. The ones I have encountered are rather random and lack consistency.

Can anyone recommend me some good online courses or a good book about it?

What are the thing to concentrate on in the beginning?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Major scales in all keys.
    Minor scales in all keys.
    Then go on to spelling Maj and Min chords for all.
    Get them under your fingers.
    Then go for the tastier chords, and look at how tunes are put together around scale degrees.
    Then Jazz.

TomO on here is your man, he's a bit good.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    www.youtube.com

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This Dude:

I learned major and minor chords and scales in no time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hours of playing with myself.

Man said piano, not the pink brown oboe.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Major scales in all keys.
    Minor scales in all keys.

Learn all modes in all keys.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    If you have a Mac, Garageband has some decent interactive lessons. A bunch come free and then, of course, you can pay for more. They're guaranteed to give you a dreamy smile like this dude:

J i m s t e r said:
    Man said piano, not the pink brown oboebassoon.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    RAJ said:
    This Dude:

I learned major and minor chords and scales in no time.

This one looks great, thanks. I already can play twinkle twinkle little star :cheese:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    learn how to play right. fingering exercises are more important than anything really. once you learn what fingers go where in certain scales and chords, it'll make it that much easier to improvise. also practice with both hands simultaneously. ambidexterity will come in real handy too.

if you can get a rhodes cheap, do it. leaning on a rhodes will make all other weighted keys feel like air.

Possum Tom said:
    lfingering exercises are more important than anything really. once you learn what fingers go where, it'll make it that much easier to improvise.
    also practice with both hands simultaneously. ambidexterity will come in real handy too.

:oh_my:

• w i l lw i l l 17 Posts

I came across these videos (as RAJ posted) some time ago as they were recommended viewing on the PianoWorld forums, which is a good resource also. They have some of their own videos on that site as well.

Just because no-one has said it yet:

What???s the best way to learn piano on your own?

"Can everyone please f*ck off? I am about to learn piano."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Just because no-one has said it yet:

What???s the best way to learn piano: on your own?

"Can everyone please f*ck off? I am about to learn piano."

Fixed, with one punctuation mark.

And also, because no one said it: not the way, or a way, but the bestest way to learn any instrument is figure it out yourself by accident and experiment.
    You might end up finding a much better method; using other body parts like elbows or nostrils, or developing toe dexterity to create 20 digit chord structures, or training your pet chimp to play the left hand bass parts with his ass.

Did dude who built the first piano have YouTube and piano forums and teachers?

No, dude made that shit up as he went along.

BE THAT DUDE.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

if you can get a rhodes cheap, do it. leaning on a rhodes will make all other weighted keys feel like air.

A family member passed down a Seventy Three to myself several years back, got a local guy to tune it and I play it whenever I need thinking music or when it's raining in the winter. I assume it's possible to make the keys 'tighter'? I'm not as serious with it as the drums, which isn't saying much, but fooling around with different chord combos is fun. At least get Every Good Boy Does Fine / FACE down pat, though.