Digging in Poland: What to look for, where to go?

subsub 311 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
gonna visit some places in poland in a couple of weeks. anybody been there digging? which city is the best to buy records and where are the stores / flea markets? which are the records to be on the look out for?any help is apreciated. please drop some knowledge?

Comments

• if you're coming from states, then your plane will land in Warsaw = so start there. there is shop called MUZANT on Swietokrzyska Street. Nothing interesting here except the shop is being runned by two best polish record-dealers (they sell tons of eastern stuff on ebay). Go & talk to them - they have all raers from Eastern Bloc but definietely will charge you A LOT.

Second store worth checkng is HEY JOE, forget the name of the street, its near Marszalkowska Avenue, just behind 'Relax Cinema'. Although store is ultra-small you'll find some in-demand polish jazz here, imho prices are little cheaper here than in muzant. Nice & friendly owners, helped jazzanova in compiling their polish jazz compilations. Go ask them what you looking for.

Those are best ways to cop good records in good shape, but you will have to spend some $$$.

• subsub 311 Posts
    thanks for the info. i'm from germany so i won't enter via warsaw cus i'm coming by train. do you know wether there are some places to find reccords in krakow, wroslaw, gdansk as well?

thanks!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Krakow has (or had?) a Hi Fidelity type store with lots of Polish stuff, unfortunately most of them overpriced. Like Bemibem for 50-60 euros, Komeda for 100. The owner was nice, though.

On the main square there's a big CD store that also sells vinyl for a lot better prices, but I doubt there are any raers to be found. There's also a small shop that sells mostly classical, but they had a nice selection of Polish Jazz on CD for really cheap.

There are book stands at the railway station, some of them have vinyl. Bought a Jerzy Milian LP for ca. 1 euro there.

• Krakow has (or had?) a Hi Fidelity type store with lots of Polish stuff, unfortunately most of them overpriced. Like Bemibem for 50-60 euros, Komeda for 100. The owner was nice, though.

i went here and didnt find it expensive at all...Niemen "sukess" for 4 zloty(around $1 US) Novi Singers ($10 US) Grupa ABC for 6 zloty( $1.50 US) in fact the Novi was the most expensive record I got out of the 30 or so I bought...but I went in 2003 before the euro changeover, I guess that changed things alot.

• Sorry to bump this post, but I'm going to Gdansk next weekend. I've been searching the internet for tips on where to dig, but can't seem to find any. Does anyone know of any record stores or regular flee markets in this city? Thanks!

• Gdansk's main area isn't too big so you should stumble across a really good flea market there full of a lot of unusual stuff and a few stalls with a lot of records. From memory it's in the large park on the way to the river but i'm sure a local will be able to tell you more...

• Thanks, that's helpful!