geek strut: Batman Begins vs The Dark Knight

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    volumen said:
    batmon said:
    volumen said:

And commending Bane's plan is to commend stupid story lines. (your talking as if they are real people committing real crimes) A major city gets all it's police trapped under ground and no one helps because the bomb will go off. I realize there would be an initial standoff, but the movie seems to imply several weeks while Wayne does push ups to climb a stupid wall. No country is going to sacrifice a major city while citizens suffer at the hands of terrorists. We'll let everyone be homeless, hungry and broke while the wealthy horde the money.......but that's another thread.

Like New Orleans?

In the Batman story, No Mans Land, Gotham was hit by an earthquake. Because it has a high crime rate the Government took its time with relief efforts. Gotham in the DC universe isnt a major city like Metropolis, and IIRC correctly they address your gripe w/ the president shit.
    Batman left for a long minute and Commishioner Gordon assemble whomever he could to "police" what was left of the city.
    TDKRises mimics that story to a degree. And this wasnt a natural disaster but a well thought out plan by the League of Assassins.
    They had a nuke bomb which is way different from terrorists walking around with guns threatening folks. They had the National guard working for them out of fear, which also throws a monkey wrench into the save the city gung ho idea.

I didnt find that storyline far fetched.

Bush hates black people. That explains New Orleans. Plus after a couple days the Gov finally tried to help NO even if they screwed it up.

In Rise it would seem that they let it go for weeks and that's not as believable. Though the government sucks and just might let every die in that circumstance. But if that's the case then the criminals can just march through the country with a bomb like the Ark of the Covenant and do what ever they want. You really think that's happening?

Ultimately it's a fantasy world and anything goes. I also realize they comic tries to mirror real life with a twist. The real issue is that it had to go on for a long time so Wayne could do his prison work out. They just should have adjust the time line of those two stories so the city take over wasn't so long.

Also I realize in the comic Gotham may not be major, but in the movie it's basically New York City size. There is a reason the League is targeting Gotham, because it's a major city ripe for example.

It's obvious you know way more than me about the comic, I'm just talking about the movie and what it presents.

I took Gotham to be like Chicago like the second flick. It a big city but not running shit like NYC despite the NYC being blown and the stock market shit. Warren street footage.
    Bane "broke" dudes back. I give that healing three weeks/ one month tops with the prison doctoring going on and him trying to get out.
    In the comic it seemed like a whole damn year and he still had to train to get his mojo back.
    I dont think Bane marched into Gotham with just a bomb. He fucked the cops and the stock market.
    They killed the Special Ops scout team. Didnt they fly jets over the city and no dice?
    Where was the government when the Joker locked up the boats? No one called foul then.
    Yes, Nolan is trying to frame it with a sense of reality but to try to apply that shit 0 will drive u crazy.
    Shit, that old ass prison had cable and a flatscreen tv.
    I just give into the idea that Bane had muthafuckas too shook to attempt some rescue mission despite the fact i couldnt understand a damn thing he said.
    I dont think Ras As Ghul targets Gotham because of its national status. Its not NY or LA. I thought he deems it as a polluted city that needs to be cleansed not some major chess piece to eventually run the world.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    TDK was much too long

Probably the only knock I would have on this movie, if any.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Just saw it. No-spoiler-o...

It was way better than I thought it was gonna be. Lotta twists I didn't see coming and definitely as good as the other 2. I thought they wrapped everything up well while leaving it open for another franchise (maybe).

9/10 would see again.

FWIW it was over 3 months Wayne was gone while Bane had the city on lock.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Day,

It's the end of the franchise as far as Nolan and Bale. Bale said he would not be in any movie that included Robin, because that wasn't what the first three were about. Basically the three movies each had a message arch to it, so a fourth one would just be to cash in on the franchise rather than continue with the symbolism. That doesn't mean some studio wont pick it up in the future.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Day,

It's the end of the franchise as far as Nolan and Bale. Bale said he would not be in any movie that included Robin, because that wasn't what the first three were about. Basically the three movies each had a message arch to it, so a fourth one would just be to cash in on the franchise rather than continue with the symbolism. That doesn't mean some studio wont pick it up in the future.

Yeah, that was my understanding re. Nolan/Batman. I thought the way they left it (especially the very last scene) was open ended for a future spin off since this was his last movie, although that's unlikely. There's talk of a Justice League movie in the future so who knows what they'll do.

My nerd is showing.

They are not returning to the Nolan-verse. It will be a new reboot like Spider-Man.
    I imagine whomever takes on the task of another couple of flicks wont try to ape the previous shit.
    And i hope they wait for a while until they decide to go back in on Batman.
    Spider-Man had too cuz the last one was questionable and left a bad taste in folks mouf. Jumpin for wedding rings n shit.

I wouldnt mind a proper Batman & Robin movie w/ the lastest Robin, and skip over Batman's origin.
    Mix the colorful 90's steez w/ the "serious/reality" steez. Not too deep and not too light. And no fucking love story.

Props for TDKR for bringing in Talia. That was the fuckin shit.

day said:
    motown67 said:
    Day,

Yeah, that was my understanding re. Nolan/Batman. I thought the way they left it (especially the very last scene) was open ended for a future spin off since this was his last movie, although that's unlikely. There's talk of a Justice League movie in the future so who knows what they'll do.
    My nerd is showing.

I dont see Bale in a Batman costume down the line. He's also too old at this point. Older than the Superman cat.
    After Superman gets rebooted, i think they will go w/ a fresh cast and try to keep up w/ Marvel and the Avengers.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    batmon said:

I dont see Bale in a Batman costume down the line. He's also too old at this point. Older than the Superman cat.
    After Superman gets rebooted, i think they will go w/ a fresh cast and try to keep up w/ Marvel and the Avengers.

Bale is clearly not going to play a major role in any future Batman flicks.

day said:
    motown67 said:
    Day,

Yeah, that was my understanding re. Nolan/Batman. I thought the way they left it (especially the very last scene) was open ended for a future spin off since this was his last movie, although that's unlikely.

Exactly. Pretty clear symbolism at the end with John "Robin" Blake being handed the job of Batman in the final scene of the movie. In that sense, Nolan's handling of the very annoying character of Robin (in Batmans past) in this whole trilogy was a masterstroke, IMO. He brought him in only at the end of the trilogy and combined strictly the best character traits of all the previous incarnations of Robin into one, totally solid role that he waited until the final scenes to fully reveal.

Some interesting ideas tossed around in these articles:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2012/07/26/the-meaning-of-joseph-gordon-levitts-fate-in-the-dark-knight-rises-spoilers/

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/07/25/the-next-batman-is-john-blake-the-new-bruce-wayne/

I dont see the Blake dude as an amalgamation of Robin without Bruce Waynes tutalege.

Or is this gonna be a Batman Beyond scenario with Bruce in the background and Blake is wearing a smaller Batsuit?

Or is he gonna be Robin solo in Gotham and learn how to run the batcave and live in the mansion while Bruce is off with Catwoman?

Its way too opened ended to forsee any solid scenario.

Did he leave all that shit to Blake? Or was it just an intro to the cave and then he trains this dude?

Did he really retire?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    batmon said:
    I dont see the Blake dude as an amalgamation of Robin without Bruce Waynes tutalege.

Or is this gonna be a Batman Beyond scenario with Bruce in the background and Blake is wearing a smaller Batsuit?

Or is he gonna be Robin solo in Gotham and learn how to run the batcave and live in the mansion while Bruce is off with Catwoman?

Its way too opened ended to forsee any solid scenario.

Did he leave all that shit to Blake? Or was it just an intro to the cave and then he trains this dude?

Did he really retire?

And that's the beauty of it. I don't want to see a Robin movie, but they did his whole persona right in this flick and I couldn't think of a better person to play him than Levitt.

As far as a future, the last scene is Robin discovering the Batcave and rising up on the platform. It would make total sense if there was a future movie, but I think this was Nolan passing the torch to whoever wants to follow in his footsteps. Batman is an iconic figure that we'll see who knows how many variations of as time goes by. All I know is, I wouldn't want to be the one to follow this trilogy.

batmon said:

That's the beautiful part about it, though. Blake dude did more for Wayne in this flick (inspiring him single handedly to become Batman again) than Wayne did for him. That said, Wayne was Blake's main role model growing up, and we can assume that's a major reason for him joining the police force, but once there he got promoted to detective and all that based on his own merits. Who knows how he will be trained as Batman in any future flicks that may / may not get made?

The second article I posted above details in a much nerdier way than I ever could how portions of the back stories from many of the previous incarnations of Robin were combined into Blake's backstory. You get the sense that Nolan and his writers didn't like how the traditional character of Robin fit into their films, so they flipped it and shaped the role into something that worked better. After you look back at TDKR with this in mind it's quite an impressive move, and one that worked out real well in the scope of the trilogy, IMO. [/geekstrutting]

Hah, I see you Day.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    Hah, I see you Day.

That Forbes article kinda nailed it.

I think the testament to a great movie (and art on a whole) is how many questions it leaves you with.

batmon said:

That's the beautiful part about it, though. Blake dude did more for Wayne in this flick (inspiring him single handedly to become Batman again) than Wayne did for him. That said, Wayne was Blake's main role model growing up, and we can assume that's a major reason for him joining the police force, but once there he got promoted to detective and all that based on his own merits. Who knows how he will be trained as Batman in any future flicks that may / may not get made?

The second article I posted above details in a much nerdier way than I ever could how portions of the back stories from many of the previous incarnations of Robin were combined into Blake's backstory. You get the sense that Nolan and his writers didn't like how the traditional character of Robin fit into their films, so they flipped it and shaped the role into something that worked better. After you look back at TDKR with this in mind it's quite an impressive move, and one that worked out real well in the scope of the trilogy, IMO. [/geekstrutting]

I recognized the movie's Robin clues before this article and had no problem w/ their remix.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    day said:

I think the testament to a great movie (and art on a whole) is how many questions it leaves you with.

^Prometheus apologist^

;-)

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Herm said:
    day said:

^Prometheus apologist^

;-)

Ha, I knew that was coming. Not saying that's the only thing that determines a good movie/art/yadda, but having a residual effect is good IMO.

• batmon said:

Remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwing#Dick_Grayson_2

I thought the bit in the movie where he talks about the orphans "graduating out" after a certain age was a nice touch.

TDKR was the best of the trilogy, IMO.

SolidState16 said:
    batmon said:

Remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwing#Dick_Grayson_2

I thought the bit in the movie where he talks about the orphans "graduating out" after a certain age was a nice touch.

TDKR was the best of the trilogy, IMO.

I really doubt when the Reboot this shit they try to do Nightwing. Regular folks dont know who he is.
    Robin is the cash cow.