Official Olympics 2012 thread

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dude is German.

Just saying.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    did that gold medal go to Germany ?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I hope whoever wins the football is stripped of their medals for similar lack of Olympic spirit, all that diving, time wasting and assorted gamesmanship.

damms said:
    did that gold medal go to Germany ?

No, but Germany got 1-2 in the equestrian, courtesy of our princess

::

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    meh. Apparently you're allowed to do this within the rules, so not many fucks can be given.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    dubl

• Interesting fact:

Scottish athletes make up 9% of Team GB yet they've won 50% of their medals so far! Nice one Scotland

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    damms said:

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Okem said:
    meh. Apparently you're allowed to do this within the rules, so not many fucks can be given.
    it's still cheating. it's even worse than what the badminton players did

• Mens 100m semi's on now, final at 21.50 GMT.....I cannot wait for this. Powell, Bolt, Blake, Gay, Gatlin, Bailey This will be special......Gatlin looks good

Have you even be watching the cycling? The stupid thing is, he didn't need to either make a meal of it by crashing, or talk about doing it 'on purpose'. Other teams have had restarts by simply stopping and raising their hand to indicate something had gone wrong. That's all he had to do. Other teams have done so, but not been asked why. If they had been asked, the answer would've probably been similar; "I slipped at the start", "I lost my balance", or "The chain seemed slack". The badminton players were not trying their best. This cyclist guy was so intent on doing his best he felt he'd had a problem start and wanted a better go at it. And god knows why the French are involved, this happened in an earlier qualifier against a different country - France got blown off the track with out any restarts.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Risingson said:
    Mens 100m semi's on now, final at 21.50 GMT.....I cannot wait for this. Powell, Bolt, Blake, Gay, Gatlin, Bailey This will be special......Gatlin looks good

I'm not sure how Americans go without seeing this shit in real time. Tho, I guess they can see it online.

Water polo on NBC right now.

It's so crazy seeing these dudes let up the last few metres. Blake looks strong. But I think Bolt is gonna win.

• DOR said:

It's so crazy seeing these dudes let up the last few metres. Blake looks strong. But I think Bolt is gonna win.

Blake & Bolt strolling to 9.85 & 9.87's in the last 20-25 metres, crazy....Gatlin looked like he worked for his 9.82. I'll go Bolt aswell

damms said:
    Okem said:
    it's still cheating. it's even worse than what the badminton players did

Would the country that has no rule bending skeletons in dey closet please raise your hand now.

No, thought not.

Anyways, after the epic of last night, tonight is a huge anti-climax.

Final is coming up in a few mins.

All Jamaicans? Or will Gay or Gatlin pop in somewhere?

BOLT!

Eyeroll

You're SUPPOSED to put 'spoiler' for meriman

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    damms said:
    Okem said:
    it's even worse than what the badminton players did

Actually it's the same. Faking poor performance to gain an advantage. And yes it's a form of cheating. No rule against it in the cycling and I don't think their is a formal rule in badminton but they need to make a rule to cover all the Olympics. Unfortunately a crash would be harder to prove. However there should be another rule for biking "If you are given a standing start with a helper and still can't ride a bike....you can't be in the Olympics." For Pete sake when was the last time anyone over 12 crashed a bike when not doing something stupid. Brand new track with a helping start? I'm pretty sure I could ride that track without crashing.

skel said:

They should knock down 30 Rock in protest.

DOR said:
    skel said:

They should knock down 30 Rock in protest.

BBC ftw

Fair enough.

Meriman should demand bbc on tap.
    We'd require a contribution to the licence fee though.
    No dollars either.
    Proper money.
    Pounds sterling, nahmsayin

• mannybolone said:
    skel said:
    Oliver prolly has about three undergrad classes working round the clock on a carefully worded and idealogically watertight refutation of zilla's central stat-based argument.

But colour me impressed at the flow and improvised nature of his rant/tract, and the acute paranoia contained therein.

Even if it was a cavalcade of bullshite.

I stopped reading his post after the first sentence.

Anyone could have made that statement, only a narcissist would mean it.

Duderonomy said:

I take that back about Americans bringing down 50 Rock.

Brits should be taking down...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Surprised that no one has mentioned Bolt's "DJ-man" dance during the warm-up before the final. I wonder what the point of that was? (Does dude DJ? Is he a champion of DJs everywhere?)

Can't find video of it online, but it's mentioned in the Reuters article on the race.

http://www.reuters.com/london-olympics-2012/articles/athletics/mens-100m/2012/08/05/breakdown-mens-100m-final

I thought it was hilarious because I used to do that same motion to mock people who were concentrating super-hard when mixing (including myself).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Farah/Rupp finish has been one of my favorite highlights this past week. Not only am I amazed at how that front pack went into an all-out spring at the finish, with Rupp just torching his way to silver and Farah backing off all challengers, but the two men just had such respect and affection for one another as training partners. That plus, the unprecedented-ness of a Brit winning gold and the first American in nearly 50 years to even medal. Good times, good times.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do when the Olympics finish. I've now been shown a world where I can press on the red button and get high definition action from 20 events at the click of the remote. Life will seem like a grey void when this ends.

I actually thought Rupp may take Farah right at the line. For utter tension, the squeaky bum finish was only rivalled by the fear that Mo's celebratory track roll was getting increasingly close to Galen's post-race loogie.

Add to all this Murray finding his gonads, Ohuruogu's fight back in the 400 and the ultimate spectacle of the 100 metres final and I don't think I actually achieved anything all weekend apart an exemplary workout of my right thumb.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    ketan said:
    Surprised that no one has mentioned Bolt's "DJ-man" dance during the warm-up before the final. I wonder what the point of that was?

His friends asked him to do it. Just for sh*ts and giggles-R.

He said his showy pre-race moves, which included pretending to spin a record like a DJ, were all things his friends had asked him to do.

???My friends always ask me to do stuff for them so I do it,??? he said. ???I had some friends who asked me to do the bunny ears so I did it.???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9454962/London-2012-Olympics-Bolt-prepared-for-100m-final-by-eating-a-McDonalds.html

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Junior said:
    Mo's celebratory track roll was getting increasingly close to Galen's post-race loogie.

Wife (the most Anal-:ayo:-OCD-Cleanliness-Addict on earth) was screaming "NO! NOOOOO!" as the Mo/Gob interface became a perilously-close reality.

Reminds me of when we played at the Sheffield Eagles rugby ground, which had a dog-track around the field. When the dog racing was done, they brushed the dogs-eggs onto the grass.