Best record bag for 45s

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Hi Strutters,

I am looking for a new record bag for my 45's...is there anything you guys can hip me to? I know the one from Magma which can carry 150 singles but are there any other currently available that are a bit "fresher" in a way or another? Any suggestions are highly appreciated...anything that stores between 50-150 45's is fine to me...thanks in advance, S.D.

Comments

• Options
    Fresh or Best?

I am currently rocking recycled cardboard 45 distribution boxes nested in wal-mart bags. The boxes hold 150. I've double bagged them so I can carry two in each hand. If I am packing juicy ones I will triple bag them. That means 600 on foot, or 300 in one hand while riding a bike. I've seen someone wearing a helmet do two bags in each hand on a bike without brakes, but; I wouldn't recommend it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

"you can't get fresher than this"

turntable lab made a nice one in cahootz with gravis a few years ago but i can't find any info online. that magma jernt looks pretty safe.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The two I use the most are:

1) A soft-pad bag that holds about 50-60, with separate pocket for accessories: http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=qxn5y5bmhy&ref=featured.php&refQ=cat=28

The design has been copied by many brands but the basics seem to be the same for all of them.

2) A canvas bag that holds a sturdier record box. Daptone used to make this but I don't think they do anymore. It's simple and kind of an elegant solution for people who have those generic record boxes but want something you can sling.

Personally, I wouldn't mind upgrading to something like the Magma, however "unfresh" it may look. 150 7" in a soft-pad bag is nothing to sneeze at considering most of the other boxes with the same capacity are made of far heavier material (that said, those wooden boxes from Japan are F.R.E.S.H.)

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I have the Magma, Stitching attaching the shoulder strap pulled out after 6 months, zipper just broke after about 2 years of weekly use.

Looked really well made, but in reality cheap thread, not enough stitching, cheap zipper. I liked how the whole top zipped off allowing easy access but will not be buying again.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    It's not out yet but there's a 45 bag in the works from the good folks over @ http://tucker-bloom.com/. Might be worth waiting for as their quality is the best hands down imo.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    American Tourister "traIn cases", ie makeup boxes from the 60s (later than that and they are not wide enough.)They fit well over a hundred 45s and they are sturdy as hell, plus have a good retro look to them. Secure as well. They go for some scratch on eBay, but if you scour estate sales and thrift stores you can fInd them for a couple bucks.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Single long row is not ideal for flipping through 45s. I have this one, totally indestructible but decidedly lacking in freshness.

I'm on the hunt for some thing like this but vintage.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Don't know if this is the BEST but I'd fuck with it. http://ppu.bigcartel.com/product/ppu-sack-7inch-record-bag-blu

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    And if you really want to get steezy about it on the fashionista tip, Farm Tactics makes this bag

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1539

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    For anyone looking for a decent cheapie, I probably paid around $8 for this Igloo lunch cooler that holds 40-50 45s perfectly:

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Both Jazzman and Daptone make great 45 bags. Won't hold as many 7" as the Magma bags but they are still nice!

• 3rdshow3rdshow 168 Posts
    I'm not very happy with the magma bag. I guess it was bad luck but my shoulder strap somehow got trapped in the door and ripped when I was riding on the bus. I was able to use it for a few more gigs then it fell off completely..
    apart from that the zipper is kind of falling apart as well, making it a total pain in the ass to close the bag now
    (especially when drunk after a gig).. a friend of mine has the same bag. his shoulder strap is fine but he also has the zipper problem.

• Snagglepus said:
    For anyone looking for a decent cheapie, I probably paid around $8 for this Igloo lunch cooler that holds 40-50 45s perfectly:

this is both awesome and hilarious.

• I have this one
    http://www.juno.co.uk/products/mukatsuku-7-45s-record-bag-black-7-record/378745-01/

Don't use it much but it's only 22 bucks so if you're
    looking for a cheapie it'll do. Juno also has the magma bag but those are about 80 bucks

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    I use a vintage MCM cosmetic case, it has a number lock, and holds a mirror, so I can check my hair...
    it holds about 100 to 120 45??s. I found it in second hand store for about 150 bucks. So gangster.
    and teh records smell good.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I've been rockin this for a few months. Works for about 50 45's. Cost me $2.00.
    Attached files

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    Snagglepus said:

this is both awesome and hilarious.

The big size cooler like this fits LPs perfectly...when I first started DJing, I used to spin at a spot a block away from my house...I would use it as it had wheels and a telescoping handle. Probably didn't look too cool pulling it down the street, but beat carrying them.

• I've had all 3 Magma's and the Magma Mk 2 bags have definitely gone down hill quality wise since the first ones. Bought one brand new and was a bit unimpressed with it when it first arrived, then I opened it and one of the seams was ripped so sent it back straightaway....

Something the UK heads may want to consider as international delivery will probably cost an arm and a leg:

http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/gift-ideas/record-boxes/BOX/all/1

• HOTSOUPHOTSOUP 63 Posts
    We've got one that works pretty well if I do say so. Fits around 150 and has room for needles, headphones, etc on the top.
    Long live the Strut!
    http://www.tucker-bloom.com/collections/record-bags/products/rich-medina-45-bag

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    HOTSOUP said:
    We've got one that works pretty well if I do say so. Fits around 150 and has room for needles, headphones, etc on the top.
    Long live the Strut!
    http://www.tucker-bloom.com/collections/record-bags/products/rich-medina-45-bag

Beautiful bag, but $275 is a tad steep.

No SoulStrut family discount? ;)

Ask and ye shall receive. Coupon code SoulStrut14 good for 25% off 10 orders.

HOTSOUP said:
    Ask and ye shall receive. Coupon code SoulStrut14 good for 25% off 10 orders.

....aaaaand copped!

Thanks for the friendly discount.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    These soft bags are seriously ugly. I also don't think they're adequately safe for fragile and valuable records...

Kapsoul https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kapsoul sells hand made, super sturdy 45 bags made of cows leather that seem to be a much, much better value at pretty much the same price:

$280

$275

Frank said:
    These soft bags are seriously ugly. I also don't think they're adequately safe for fragile and valuable records...

Kapsoul https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kapsoul sells hand made, super sturdy 45 bags made of cows leather that seem to be a much, much better value at pretty much the same price:

$280

$275

Different strokes, Frank. The leather bag is no doubt better value in terms of materials, but it's not at all my style.

You once posted a while back a photo of your croc-skinned 45 case (and LP case, too, IIRC) with matching shoes. I loved it, but could never pull it off.

To each his own I suppose. That doesn't look like it would fit as many records as our bag. Regarding the safety of records we've never had any issues. The Rich Medina 45 bag isn't a soft bag strictly and has a stiff box interior.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

• That was exactly where the cool story bro fits. Right up there/

If you don't like Tucker & Bloom bags and want to have a orangutan penis leather box, go ahead and have one. Every one can have their own opinion and idea of what makes a perfect 45 case for their application. I believe Tucker & Bloom made that case with the touring DJ in mind. Something that as far as i know, you are not, Frank. All the Tucker & Bloom bags i own are made to endure a beating and also look cool as well. Personally I would never go dig for records while carrying something that looks like a passing grandma might have as a purse. That's why i choose Tucker & Bloom. The owners are cool as hell and they make quality products that hold up and if not, they have a lifetime guarantee.

Frank, why did you have to tell people about your life? I don't think that is the first time I have read that on here either. That's fucking weird man. Like you rehearse this speech of how your whole life is a vacation so you can tell people on the internet. Step it up man. Nobody cares what you do, how many records you have or where you live.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    speakmumbles said:

If you don't like Tucker & Bloom bags and want to have a orangutan penis leather box, go ahead and have one.

I lack your expertise when it comes to primate genitalia but I would guess they don't make very good leather. It's tempting but I'm not going to to go all Freud on you by analyzing why it's ape cocks that are on your mind.

However -and let me try and say it in this bro language in which you speak: "That's fucking weird man!"

speakmumbles said:
    I believe Tucker & Bloom made that case with the touring DJ in mind. Something that as far as i know, you are not, Frank.

I'm semi retired by now but I still tour Europe and Asia about once every year and have been carrying record bags onto pretty much every plane I've been on in the past 20 years or so and that's been plenty. For 45 bags I found they're much more likely to fit under your front seat if they don't have any padding and additional compartments on top. Putting padded bags in the overhead bin might also give other passengers the impression that there's room to squeeze as they try and ram in their hardshell trolly.

speakmumbles said:
    Personally I would never go dig for records while carrying something that looks like a passing grandma might have as a purse.

Today's dynamic grandmas are much more likely to carry a purse that's made off some synthetic material, closes with a zipper and hangs from a shoulder strap. A bag not unlike yours.

I could elaborate why each of these distinct features, synthetic material, zipper and shoulder strap in my opinion are not ideal and aesthetically dubious but I'll spare you.

speakmumbles said:
    Frank, why did you have to tell people about your life? I don't think that is the first time I have read that on here either. That's fucking weird man. Like you rehearse this speech of how your whole life is a vacation so you can tell people on the internet. Step it up man. Nobody cares what you do, how many records you have or where you live.

I didn't use quotes but what you read was a direct response to the comment before (now sadly disappeared since the author has been banned) which basically was a string of wrong assumptions about my personal life. I just set the record straight and corrected him where he was wrong. Not the first time I did this how you observed correctly but what else can I do but explain to these misinformed cubicle dwellers how my personal life really looks like. I'd hate for these sad squares to despise me for all the wrong reasons, especially when there are so many good reasons for genuine envy to eat away at them like acid.

I'm baffled myself why these low level, bottom feeding citizens are so obsessed with my life and my financial means. I guess if you don't have much of either one, hate just comes naturally.

However, I wasn't talking to you so why did you even bother reading? Just do like I did and use the ignore function, bro.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Careful. This Frank fella's not afraid to call his lawyer.

b/w

cosign on knowing this dudes life from Soulstrut posts. It's easy to do even as a casual observer.