Options

Ads to promote Vinyl Sales

edited July 2012 in Strut Central
This is an article about a guy who used Facebook ads:

http://irvinebroque.tumblr.com/post/28415393877/how-i-made-10k-in-one-day-with-facebook-ads-re-bots

For real?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Caven Discos = The Tony Robbins of record digging.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Caven Discos = The Tony Robbins of record digging.

lol!

Kindly,
    parallax

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    roffle.

FB down almost 50% now from IPO. HURRY CONVINCE PEOEPL IT"S STILL RELEVANT FOR ADVERTISING

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    BearClaw said:
    For real?

No.

"How I made $10k in one day"

Conveniently omitted is the months (years?) and $$$ he spent accumulating the records he sold in 'one day'.

I've done the same thing years before Facebook existed and so have many others. Selling records is the easiest thing in the world - finding them is the hard part.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    roffle.

• mad comedy.

didn't he bomb Craigslist too? you'd be a fool not too with all the no game record hustlers combing it for estate sales.

As far as I???m concerned, clicks coming from Soulstrut are the realest clicks in the game right now.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• Options
    What's a better way?

Fliering at the grocery market and around the block?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    roffle.

FB down almost 50% now from IPO. HURRY CONVINCE PEOEPL IT"S STILL RELEVANT FOR ADVERTISING

exactly
    that and ZNGA at almost $2
    major laughter

• Options
    Haha. I know what you mean. I wouldn't give 2 cents for a share of fascist book.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    roffle.

Overblown IPO but as an effective ad platform nothing else comes close.

• Flomotion said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    roffle.

Couldn't one make the argument that ads are, for the most part, the only way Facebook can generate revenue, and that the current stock price is a reflection of just how effective those ads are - or at least a reflection of the confidence advertisers have in the platform? I think many large corps are realizing that a million likes is not worth a golden god damn anymore. Either way, "How I made x in y using z" is the bottom of the barrel american ad con. Blech.

• Options
    Flomotion said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    roffle.

The way I look at advertisizing is if you call out all the hounds you must selectively drive your prices up when they try to score large margin deals (exclusive dealing related) meanwhile hoping that the kids around the block show up in time to browse some cool records (risk related).

Upping price + risk = it is a personal call

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Flomotion said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    roffle.

Couldn't one make the argument that ads are, for the most part, the only way Facebook can generate revenue, and that the current stock price is a reflection of just how effective those ads are - or at least a reflection of the confidence advertisers have in the platform? I think many large corps are realizing that a million likes is not worth a golden god damn anymore. Either way, "How I made x in y using z" is the bottom of the barrel american ad con. Blech.

'Likes' mean next to nothing in sales terms but ad agencies fucking love this metric because it helps justify huge budgets for brand campaigns which are otherwise pretty unmeasurable. Corporations haven't yet caught up on what it all means - they're still delighted that they can persuade/bribe 100,000 people to like a page for a deodorant.

I think people got carried away/greedy with grabbing FB shares and then in the cold light of day panicked because aside from the ad model, ostensibly there's no other major weapon else in Facebook's arsenal. In reality it looks like they're making very shrewd below the radar investments in infrastructure and telecomms . The Facebook brand might be on the wane in a couple of years and ad revenue too but the company will keep on growing. If I had spare cash I'd honestly be buying shares around now.

And, yeah, cheesy ad from record boy.

• Options
    Flomotion said:

And, yeah, cheesy ad from record boy.

Unless, he is feeding on suckers, correct?

Like that guy in NY who spams eBay with overpriced garbage. He must be thinking he is going to get metropolitan prices. I wrote him and told him that all of his items are 50-200% overpriced. And, that I have to exclude him from the search results in order to browse.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I was at this record sale and so were other dudes from soulstrut and waxidermy. i don't understand how a profit was made selling all of these records for $3 when they were clearly worth more. i picked up good essential lps for little $ and a lot of other folks got some valuable ones they could have flipped for way more.

kinda not a good look calling your customers "zombies", haha. but whatever, i'm happy with the records i got for really cheap.

this was my boyfriend's haul

• Options
    That is fair.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ^^^^^^^
    zero point HAD to be a reish