Official Olympics 2012 thread

Comments

• Options
    I like how they mention self-confidence in that article.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I'm not into Harry Potter being so central to the UK's representation of itself to the world.

I feel much the same way about Mr. Bean, personally. But there he was, too (or, more accurately, Rowan Atkinson), mugging along to the theme from Chariots Of Fire. And the thing is, that's how quite a lot of world sees Britain - that and Harry Potter and James Bond and, yeah, someone like Branagh reciting Shakespeare. Instead of being a bit pompous and self-aggrandising about such things - and Olympic opening ceremonies can certainly be that - Boyle decided to have a bit of fun with it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I actually generally like KB but he just seemed like he was mugging HARD. But that said, I blame NBC more than him or Boyle; they kept flashing to him, possibly because they didn't like shooting all the soot-covered workers.

I know criticizing NBC is some low-hanging fruit but seriously, they're so wack with the coverage on practically every level (except for all the live streaming; I've definitely appreciated that).

It's already concluded but I just have to say that Team Archery = much more exciting than I might have imagined.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Highlight for me so far was when the Japanese mens gymnastic coach attempted to dispute the last score by rushing the judge's table with a wad of cash in his hand.

where the f*ck is the thread from the last olympics?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DOR said:

:post_modern:

mannybolone said:

I know criticizing NBC is some low-hanging fruit but seriously, they're so wack with the coverage on practically every level (except for all the live streaming; I've definitely appreciated that).

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/28/1114648/-NBC-We-skipped-terror-tribute-because-it-wasn-t-tailored-for-the-U-S-audience

LOL, smh.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    mannybolone said:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/28/1114648/-NBC-We-skipped-terror-tribute-because-it-wasn-t-tailored-for-the-U-S-audience

LOL, smh.

Incredible conceit (on behalf of NBC; not turning this into a 'Meriman bash). An official "F*ck not given" to the dead. The whole Olympics are not tailored for the US audience, perhaps best NBC skip them, and just show the podium shots of US medallists on the news?

Shoulder-to-shoulder.
    I hope Al Queda is reading and take note not to tailor future TERROR against teh UK.

Crticising NBC cost journo his... Twitter account, Twitter tips-off NBC first, doe:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9440137/London-Olympics-2012-Twitter-alerted-NBC-to-British-journalists-critical-tweets.html

Users of the social network vented their anger against Twitter yesterday after Guy Adams, a foreign correspondent for the Independent, was suspended without warning from the site after posting a series of critical tweets about NBC???s coverage of the Olympics.

One of the tweets urged his followers to send their views to Gary Zenkel, the president of NBC Olympics. Mr Adams subsequently published Mr Zenkel???s corporate email address and a complaint was filed by NBC.

But in an email to The Daily Telegraph, Christopher McCloskey, NBC Sport???s vice-president of communications, said Twitter had actually contacted the network???s social media department to alert them to Mr Adams???s tweets.

???Our social media dept was actually alerted to it by Twitter and then we filled out the form and submitted it,??? he wrote.

I'd be happy if the BBC just made their iplayer available worldwide. It's all paid for, share it around. Coverage has been great on digital though - seems like every single event is covered live.

Glad Japan got the team silver in gymnastics. If they hadn't, there would've been questions asked about partisan judging. The Brit team did well to get a medal for the first time in 100 years. On the floor work one of our guys did a one-hand-windmill to one-hand-windmill spring B-Boy style!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    DOR said:

:post_modern:

This was pretty crazy. Girl got robbed straight up. Judges and time person should be ashamed.

In other news.

How Olympic Divers Really Look While Diving

http://thefw.com/olympic-diving-funny-faces/

I thought she was robbed but I read today that the clock 0>1 thing is common in fencing and that the girl who won had lost a bout before in identical circumstances, so she was coming with the "Meh". Korean sat down for so long because apparently if you leave the mat you concede defeat and the judges took an age to overrule her objection.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Highlight for me so far was when the Japanese mens gymnastic coach attempted to dispute the last score by rushing the judge's table with a wad of cash in his hand.

Yeah. That's the rule apparently - you have to pay a fee to submit an appeal/query (?!) but not a good look regardless.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    skel said:
    The arm muscles on these gymnast dudes are incredible.

I need that training regime.

Holler at me, bro.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

balleur status

mannybolone said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Yeah. That's the rule apparently - you have to pay a fee to submit an appeal/query (?!) but not a good look regardless.

HORRIBLE look. It's like, um, maybe just bill the team later? For all the lengths they allegedly go to avoid corruption, impropriety, they actually require cash $$ to be exchanged between national teams and the judges before the final scores are rendered?! There shouldn't even be any cash allowed on the floor.

• "Canadian equestrian Hawley Bennett-Awad is in a London hospital with a concussion and back injury after being thrown from her horse during the cross-country phase of the Olympic three-day eventing competition.

The 35-year-old from Murrayville, B.C., fell from her horse, Gin & Juice, Monday at the third fence of the challenging 28-jump course at Greenwich Park and was taken to the Royal London Hospital by ambulance........................."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/london2012/equestrian/article/1234496--london-2012-canadian-equestrian-suffers-concussion-in-fall

:beerbang: :lush: :beerbang: :lush: :beerbang: :lush: :beerbang: :lush: :beerbang: :lush: :beerbang: :lush: :beerbang: :lush: :beerbang: :lush:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Holler at me, bro.
    ]

I'll be in NY on busy-ness some point soon, latter half August or September, let's hit some Welsh hostelries or some such.

fell from her horse, Gin & Juice, Monday at the third fence of the challenging 28-jump course at Greenwich Park and was taken to the Royal London Hospital by ambulance........................."

Had her mind on her money...

man that Korean fencer chick got hosed. so foul.

mannybolone said:

sadly, we are likely to see a few more Chinese scandals before these games are done.

there needs to be separate leader board for scandals alongside the medal count.

rootlesscosmo said:
    man that Korean fencer chick got hosed. so foul.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/08/01/2012080101451.html

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Suarez- such a lively mind, and such a snide.

Bellamy- such a thimble full of spite.

Kit is pants.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

"...and you're going to take them when I tell you to take them, aren't you? Or you know what I'm going to do..?"

Has anyone watched this boxing controversy? This is fucked.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/2/3214407/2012-olympics-video-boxing-bad-decision-shimizu-abdulhamidov

Whats up with the judges at this Olympics?

To make it even more fucked. Read this article from a year ago...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15020658

:roar:

DOR said:
    Has anyone watched this boxing controversy? This is fucked.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/2/3214407/2012-olympics-video-boxing-bad-decision-shimizu-abdulhamidov

Whats up with the judges at this Olympics?

To make it even more fucked. Read this article from a year ago...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15020658

:roar:

Boxing-in-fixing-shocker is a bit too easy. It's pretty lame considering the BBC article uncovering it - they think everyone would forget?
    We need that guy who hounds FIFA on the case.

EDIT: seems the decision was rightfully overturned.