Big City Records NYC closing?

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Anyone heard anything about Big City Records closing shop?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    They sent out an email announcing that 9/1 will be their last day in NY. NJ and online stores will remain.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    They sent out an email announcing that 9/1 will be their last day in NY. NJ and online stores will remain.

wow.....

• I managed to get there last Friday on the New York leg of my honeymoon and grabbed a handful of dope LP's and a bargain UK britcore 12" that was in the dollar bin. Even got interviewed and photographed as part of an interview Jared was doing for an NY radio station about the closing. Very friendly service and Jared recommended some great funky-latin LP's for me to check.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Just read about this. Damn. Only been here twice but I really liked the dudes that ran the place and they had great stuff overall. Really too bad.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    just hit the NJ store over the weekend while visiting for a wedding. came up nicely, sad to hear about the NYC spot.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Hate hearing about shops closing down. Toronto used to be lined with them. They're popping up again, but the hipster douche bag influence is now present.

• to be fair hipster douche bags are probably a sizable record buying demographic

is jared going to work in the new jersey store?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    No love for the skinny jean crowd, but sure, I see your point. The worst is when they actually get jobs in a spot u like - dealing with that "I know Indy bands u don't know eye-rolling shit is the worst.

tripledouble said:
    to be fair hipster douche bags are probably a sizable record buying demographic

I've said this before but to the rest of the planet, outside this board, Soul Strut absolutely would look like a convention of hipster douche bags. Let's just be real about this.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Really? How unfortunate.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Anto99 said:
    No love for the skinny jean crowd, but sure, I see your point. The worst is when they actually get jobs in a spot u like - dealing with that "I know Indy bands u don't know eye-rolling shit is the worst.

Change skinny jeans into baggy jeans, and indy bands to indy hip-hop, and you sound like an old record dude 20 years ago.

Embrace the hipsters, they might help keep record shops from dying much like sample spotters and break fiends did in the 90s.

Gotta be more than just the hipsters

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Anto99 said:

No. The worst is when people working at record stores are actually into the same music as you so half of the records that you would want to listen to never make it to the racks.