Soul Strut 100: #59 - Niagara - (Tiddies)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited July 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#59 - Niagara - (Tiddies)

The list so far:

# 100 - Jr. and His Soulettes - Psychodelic Sounds
# 99 - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
# 98 - Donny Hathaway - S/T (1971)
# 97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard
# 96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze
# 95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer
# 94 - Harlem River Drive
# 93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
# 92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
# 91 - Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
# 90 - Les McCann - Layers
# 89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
# 88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
# 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)
# 86 - Can - Tago Mago
# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go
# 84 - WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
# 83 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
# 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
# 81 - The J.B.???s - Doing It to Death
# 80 - Parliament - Osmium
# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
# 77 - Earth, Wind, and Fire (1971)
# 76 - Dr. Dre - The Chronic
# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)
# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
# 73 - Bob James - One
# 72 - Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces
# 71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau
# 70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs
# 69 - Steely Dan - Aja
# 68 - Quasimoto - The Unseen
# 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)
# 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you
# 65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level
# 64 - Archie Whitewater - Archie Whitewater (1970)
# 63 - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother
# 62 - Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
# 61 - The J.B.???s - Food For Thought
# 60 - Don Blackman (1982)
#59 - Niagara - (Tiddies)

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

The German Niagara were a group of funk percussionists formed existing between 1971-1973. Members included, on percussion: Klaus Weiss, Cotch Blackmon, Keith Forsey, Juan Romero, Udo Lindenberg, Danny Fichelscher, Joe Harris, George Green. Bass: Gary Unwin. Guitar: Paul Vincent. Horns: Ack van Royen. Sax & flute: Ferdinand Povel. Bass: Milan Pilar. Keyboard: Christian Schulze. They produced three albums: Niagara (1971), S.U.B. (1972) and Afire (1973). Since then Niagara: the Legendary Percussion Sessions has been released as a limited edition. It is extremely difficult to find more information on the project, even in the official biographies of Klaus Weiss and Udo Lindenberg.

http://djuilson.blogspot.com/2011/06/niagara-niagara-1971.html

Related Threads

whats the last DRUMBREAK record you bought ???
Album covers featuring tittays???NWS

Media

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Major want. Never had it.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    i've never seen a copy of it in the field despite the fact that I'm in Germany. The price it goes for on ebay doesn't reflect it's true rarity.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I have the later double-vinyl issue for trade. PM if interested.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    not sure why this is so high on the list. besides the titties of course

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    tripledouble said:

I think this record had kind of a mythical status, at least for a young break nerd like myself. Its cool but I think it's one of those things that seems greater than it is. But titties and long drum breaks...who is not looking for that?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Scored my copy for around $70 off a German dealer in the early 00's. Always loved Klaus Weiss sterile yet powerful tribal like drums.

More Klaus crazyness:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    tripledouble said:

I think this record had kind of a mythical status, at least for a young break nerd like myself. Its cool but I think it's one of those things that seems greater than it is. But titties and long drum breaks...who is not looking for that?

Yeah, this. I'm pretty sure this joint was one of my earliest "digger-ish" scores. Plus, yeah, breaks. But even aside from the break aspect, that second part of "Sangandongo" is great.

Also: What's the going rate for this record these days?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    S.U.B. is much better, though it lacks the mammaries

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt:

I heard Survivor on a mix off of Soul Strut yeeeears ago that also had a cut off the Cos album and have been wondering what the hell it was ever since. ::FACEMELTED::

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    tripledouble said:

I have this record but I never listen to it. Drum/perc extravaganza, but I don't remember it as being all that interesting musically. Time for a revisit. Digging mythos and the tatas put it on the list.

Re: Klaus Weiss projects, from what I've heard I think I prefer Sunbirds. Their first LP is great. The tribal multidrumming makes Niagara sound a bit more sluggish to these ears. I don't personally own "S.U.B." or "Afire" though.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Got this from Strutter Lambert, passed it on in the Haiti Heatrocks auction to... I can't remember. But someone around here has that copy. Not surprisingly, it had pinholes on all four corner of the gatefold from some previous owner using the sleeve as a wall decoration. I agree that S.U.B. is better, but this is a good album to throw on in the background while you're doing other things. It's like lighting a breakbeat-scented candle in your apartment.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    It's like lighting a breakbeat-scented candle in your apartment.

^^^Good one.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    and yeah "survivor" is ridiculously dope

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Controller_7 said:
    tripledouble said:

Yeah, this. I'm pretty sure this joint was one of my earliest "digger-ish" scores. Plus, yeah, breaks. But even aside from the break aspect, that second part of "Sangandongo" is great.

Also: What's the going rate for this record these days?

Yeah... this is one of those records that I sweated and then now almost never play. It's cool and all, but when I throw it on I find myself being reminded why I forgot what it sounds like. It's kinda boring.

• I dropped around $150 for the original German pressing earlier this year... definitely one of the most prized records in my collection. As a drummer, I haven't gotten tired of listening to it at all, both sides are crazy. Now to get their other 2 LPs...