teh Beat Junkies

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central

Sorry if repost...

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Saw this a couple weeks ago. It's really good, but these guys deserve a much longer documentary.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Herm said:
    Saw this a couple weeks ago. It's really good, but these guys deserve a much longer documentary.

I felt the same way, I would have loved if this went a little deeper into their history.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    first time seeing this, i wish it was about 40 minutes longer....

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Could've been way longer based just on showing routines.

D-styles is the only one I know personally and he is so incredibly humble and a super cool guy. Unbelievably humble.

When I was 19 I saw a posting on the ISP website that they had a new promo model of the vestax 06 pro straight from Japan for sale. Only had one. It wasn't out yet. I went to D's apartment and met Yoga Frog and Toad Man. All 3 were incredibly cool and let me hang out all day. They gave me food, showed me videos. Called A-trak, like 15 at the time, and said "Dave's got a new beat he's working on" ad D-styles starts cutting up, in his perfect precision, a really dope drum pattern. I went from total fan boy to just hanging with these dudes as a friend in an instant. Cannot stress how cool Dave is.

Funny highlight. If you've ever seen turntable tv, where Toad Man is sleeping as they try to wake him up...that shit is real. He fell asleep on the floor while I was there and we literally banged pots and pans in his ear and he kept on snoring. Incredible.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    thanks for posting this. i had not seen it.

ive known a few of those folks for 20+ years. makes me smile to see them all grown with grey hair still doing it big.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    DStyles not getting more than a minute is some BS.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Wait, is this the entire documentary? I assumed is was some sort of extended preview or something.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Funny highlight. If you've ever seen turntable tv, where Toad Man is sleeping as they try to wake him up...that shit is real. He fell asleep on the floor while I was there and we literally banged pots and pans in his ear and he kept on snoring. Incredible.

ha ha ha....now this is comedy...i believe they got him with icecubes as well if i remember correctly and the vinyl killer, i think thats the same episode when they drive around honking at people and toadman goes nuts laughing

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    any $ i ever made in the music business i owe to these guys.

peace, stein. . .

• I've never been a big fan of turntablism but I have nothing but respect for these guys. When the situation calls for the party to be properly rocked they are all quite capable. They know when to quit fiddling around and bring the heat. J Rocc has left me mind-blown on numerous occasions. There was one set (90mins during peak time) where I don't think he went above 90bpms and didn't play any hip-hop and still had the crowd going bananas.
    Also, the ones I've met have all been down-to-earth stand up dudes.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I know this may be overstating the importance of it's release, but the first time that the Beat Junkies as a DJ team really came up on my radar was Soundbombing II. Previous to that, I'd heard of these guys as individuals from a few websites dedicated to turntablism, probably seen the odd exhibition beat-juggle on a DMC vid (they were judges by the time I knew of them), and maybe I'd heard some of their cuts on rap tracks (D-Styles on Rhymes Like A Scientist?).
    I think in '99 the east coast/west coast divide was still lingering, so it was a bit unexpected that Rawkus got the Beat Junkies to mix part II after Evil Dee had done the first Soundbombing. Their mixing was the highlight of that CD. I really hadn't heard juggles like that before in a hip-hop mix. Q-Bert had done some sick shit on Demolition Pumpkin Squeeze, and plenty of DJs had done great battle routines, but it was refreshing to hear this stuff in a slightly more musical context (not that I'm trying to put down the battle scene or any other DJs). Friends with no interest in turntablism or underground/backpack rap who decided to give the CD a listen because Eminem featured in the tracklist could hear the juggles, what was happening, and then the transitions and appreciate the skill that they wouldn't have bothered listening to if I'd told them to sit through a DMC vid.
    I'm a big fan of what all of them do, but perhaps like the views expressed in the vid, have to say J.Rocc's style is my favourite - the dude is Funky.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I went to D's apartment and met Yoga Frog and Toad Man.

Did Yoga Frog reveal reveal his new scratch to you at the time?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    The-gaffler said:
    Controller_7 said:
    I went to D's apartment and met Yoga Frog and Toad Man.

Did Yoga Frog reveal reveal his new scratch to you at the time?

No. Was that ever revealed? That was funny. Those videos were great, especially the trip to Japan with the wallet woohoo joke and the cab driver saying that I want to fuck you shit.

Saw the Beat Junkies on the Stanford campus in 98 or 99. Great. Jrocc's mixes are so smooth and can really get you to appreciate shit you might not normally like. Sex Machine is hot lava.