Lord Finesse suing Mac Miller for $10 million.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
I wonder if Finesse paid Oscar Peterson that much for the sample?

Lord Finesse Sues Mac Miller Over Mix Tape
By NICK MCCANN??
ShareThis ??
??????????(CN) - Rapper Lord Finesse says in a $10 million lawsuit that 20-year-old rap star Mac Miller ripped off his 1995 hit "Hip 2 Da Game" to launch his music career.
??????????Looking for more entertainment news? Click here to check out Courthouse News' Entertainment Law Digest.
??????????Lord Finesse (born Robert Hall) has been rapping since the late 1980s, and led the popular New York hip-hop crew Diggin in the Crates (D.I.T.C.), in addition to having a solo career and writing for rappers like Biggie Smalls and Dr. Dre.
??????????In 1995, Finesse released his hit song "Hip 2 Da Game," which is the subject of his lawsuit against Mac Miller in federal court in Manhattan.
??????????"This is a case about a teenage rapper- Mac Miller- copying the music from a song written, produced and performed by Lord Finesse, a hip hop legend, changing the title and then distributing it under his own name in order to launch his music career," the complaint states.
??????????Mac Miller released his version of "Hip 2 Da Game" on a "mix tapes," a term used to describe free music distributed by up-and-coming rappers.
??????????The "mix tape" strategy has been favored by many rappers and hip hop producers in recent years. Rappers often record new rhymes over the instrumental tracks of older, popular rap songs and distribute the music for free.
??????????Finesse, whose real name is Robert Hall, sued the website DatPiff.com, which is one of the best known distributors of free mix tapes from new rappers, and Miller's label, Rostrum Records.
??????????Miller's real name is Malcolm McCormick.
??????????"In 2010, Mac Miller recorded himself rapping over Finesse's music and renamed the song 'Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza' ('The Kool Aid Song')," according to the complaint.
??????????Miller signed with Rostrum in July 2010 and released a mix tape called "K.I.D.S.: Kickin' Incredibly Dope Shit," which contained "Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza."
??????????The mix tape was released on DatPiff in August 2010, has been downloaded more than 500,000 times and has been streamed more than 450,000 times, the lawsuit states.
??????????The video for "Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza," which uses the beat for "Hip 2 Da Game" has been viewed nearly 24 million times on YouTube, according to the complaint.
??????????Finesse says Miller has profited from the unauthorized use of his song.
??????????The lawsuit cites a New York Times article from last November about Miller that explains how the alleged infringement is "part of a strategy to build a fan base."
??????????"'First, the good news: A new generation of rappers is actively trying to build a new business model in which releasing oodles of free material online builds a fan base that paves the way for revenue streams: touring, merchandise, even something as old-fashioned as a record deal,'" the Times article said.
??????????Finesse says he filed the lawsuit after DatPiff, Rostrum and Miller refused to respond to a cease and desist letter earlier this month.
??????????The $10 million lawsuit alleges copyright infringement, unfair competition, unjust enrichment, interference, deceptive trade practices, and a number of related state law claims. Finesse also seeks a permanent injunction from the court.
??????????The rapper is represented by Brian Levenson and Matthew Schwartz of Schwartz & Ponterio in New York.
Home Back to Top
Courthouse News Service Privacy Policy Search RSS About Us

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Lord Finesse is just annoyed Mac sucks. If Mac was good Lord might think it was cool. And really, has Lord paid for every sample he's ever used? If so then sue away, if not...jackin beats is hip hop baby.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This seems kinda not very hip-hop to me. And if he wins, doesn't this open the door for basiclaly everyone in the modern era to get sued for their free mixtapes?

• You don't own no loops. It how you hook'em up and the rhyme style.....troop.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Finesse can pay for sample suits against him with the infringement money he wins. Circle of life.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    definitely my favourite sin

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Can people please stop referring to themselves as legendary. It basically voids it out.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    I hope Finesse wins.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Can people please stop referring to themselves as legendary. It basically voids it out.

volumen said:
    is hip hop baby.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Funny the only credit I ever gave this kid was the fact he grabbed the Lord Finesse and People Under the Stairs instrumentals. If the funky man wins will Thes o life be following suite? It's kind of crazy Mac Miller is selling out shows in large venues based on these "mix-tapes" so in a way he is directly profiting from the Funky Man's likeness. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle a GD tho.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Who asks other rappers to freestyle over their instrumentals?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    **rides down the old man ramp on my front porch in my rascal**

Man, I miss the days when a mixtape was a MIXtape and not purely a word used to legally jack beats for some exposure.

Furthermore, I get even more annoyed when dudes create these mixtapes and put a producer credit on it for their boy (and not the OG beatsmith) when all they did was literally jack beat after beat after beat....if using the term mixtape and giving it out for free supposedly voids you of any royalty...why not give respect to the OG beat maker in the track listing or somewhere?

All that said...

volumen said:
    ...jackin beats is hip hop baby.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

It's like when a record says "Collector's Item" on the cover, which pretty much guarantees that it isn't.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Where does this leave Joey Bada$$?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    YNOT said:
    Where does this leave Joey Bada$$?

Does Mac shout out Lord in his track? I noticed Joey does...but Joey's verses are super boring.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    YNOT said:
    Funny the only credit I ever gave this kid was the fact he grabbed the Lord Finesse and People Under the Stairs instrumentals. If the funky man wins will Thes o life be following suite? It's kind of crazy Mac Miller is selling out shows in large venues based on these "mix-tapes" so in a way he is directly profiting from the Funky Man's likeness. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle a GD tho.

If I'm not mistaken, Mac invited PUTS out on tour. (At least for the Cali dates. I was looking forward to seeing Thes here in AZ but by this leg of the tour I believe Casey Veggies had replaced PUTS. That show sold out pretty quick too, in a rather sizeable venue.)

Dude is a 19 year old kid who turned down major label deals and did amazing numbers independently. I can't say I know his music, but I have a lot of respect for the fact that he's successful on his own terms. That Finesse-sampling song is only one of the many that made him popular and I don't think the intention was malicious. Dude probably wasn't even expecting it to be as popular as it is.

On another note, I happen to be a fan of rappers rapping over classic beats. (Sh*t, I grew up kicking horrible freestyles over instrumentals!) A familiar beat sometimes helps bridge the old with the new.

Either way, it must suck to be sued by one of your idols.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    edit - i don't know wtf i'm talking about...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Herm said:
    On another note, I happen to be a fan of rappers rapping over classic beats. (Sh*t, I grew up kicking horrible freestyles over instrumentals!) A familiar beat sometimes helps bridge the old with the new.

This is pretty much the story of Dancehall.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I don't know the intricacies of the law suit or the relevant law and I don't care.

in any dispute between Lord Finesse and [blank] I pretty much will always ride for Finesse.

• can't we all just be happy that people are feeling the 90s style beats again? (no throwback)

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I don't know the intricacies of the law suit or the relevant law and I don't care.

in any dispute between Lord Finesse and [blank] I pretty much will always ride for Finesse.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    DOR said:

The comments on that video are great.

"Finesse (I refuse to call him Lord)..."

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    this is getting interesting

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    DOR said:
    hey look at me. I've got an opinion

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    thewaxbandit said:
    can't we all just be happy that people are feeling the 90s style beats again? (no throwback)

Yes.