Leather trousers

2»

Comments

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    All this chat is too funny.
    There's a subsection of the leather-trousers/ pants-wearing populace that comprises reptiles enthusiasts. Snakes, lizards... heated glass enclosures with animals inside that you have to feed thawed-out mice which you keep in your top-loading freezer. Gene Loves Jezebel and The Mission is often playing on the midi hi-fi. Hair is long, noserings have remained in place since they were first ut in. Often, leather boots have clog heels. Tinted round glasses are worn. There is no overlap with the aforementioned Jodeci crew.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The lukewarm Strut thumbs up gives a middle-ageing dude some impetus to cop. Or at least try on to see how they hang.

Jimster, speak on a suitable outlet.

Selfridges?

Having said that, what to wear coat-wise....
    The leather trench is surely three steps beyond the pale. Probably literally.

And further, it is nigh on impossible to imagine a scenario where leather strides are normal attire, outside of one of P33's cougar pick up joints.

iPhone doubles

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    You're on yer own there, bud. Perchance some Goth emporium down Carnaby Stweet? The ones that sell rubber-spike shit to Italian tourismos?

Else, indeed, try the local reptile emporium dude? There was man down the road in Eastwood, venomous snake hexpert. King Cobra bite. Nasty's the title. Let me see... Ah, this was it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-13965282

Aha.

Leather kecks would have scoffed at a serpent's kiss. Probably.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    You're on yer own there, bud. Perchance some Goth emporium down Carnaby Stweet? The ones that sell rubber-spike shit to Italian tourismos?.

I was about to say, surely there is only one destination - Camden, with it's multitudinous dodgy geezer's cut price leather caverns.

Come on dudes, think more Daniel Craig and less Craig Charles.

This is purely a mind game, I'm not buying but I'll strut around that changing room for all it's worth.

CK, Gucci, Fahri blah blah blah.
    Got to be someone with the tasteful, well cut and understated (non shiny) apparel.

Got to be.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    james said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    james said:
    When did soulstrut get so Thin Lizzy'ed the fuck up?

You started it.
    In the words of Ross Hogg's main man, Shaggy: It wasn't me. My thread might have caught a little slice of the zeitgeist, but that shit had already been perculating for a while. I don't know whether it's a case of the "BRITS DOT COM" thread letting you lot get too comfortable, or if the threat is here at home, with boot-cut-rock enthusiasts like Hook_Up, pickwick, and SoulOnIce working subtly as serpents to make this stuff acceptable ("Hey, nice score on that Shades Of A Blue Orphanage!"), but that fact is that soulstrut has gradually but definitely been moving toward a pro-choogle stance, with the marked rise in Lizzy-positive attitudes only the most obvious symptom (see also: "Van Halen: GOAT"). It makes me a little uneasy, frankly. I mean, where does this all lead? if this keeps up, what's this place gonna look like a year from now? Two years from now? Shit's gonna be straight Night Ranger.

But back on topic: I see the one Hoarvey in here--perhaps he can speak on his man Tupac's escalating the game with up-to-the-armpits leather hip waders. Failing that, perhaps he can speak on post-MDMA pant styles in 1990s Tejas.

On the Thin Lizzy/Van Halen thing...the problem is that people for so long made such a policy of being strictly alternative with their music interests that they started doing the dumb thing of dismissing clearly good shit right under their noses just because of side reason stupid. Also, since when do we leave it up to computer geeks to decide for us what is good for a party? If you don't like Thin Lizzy and Van Halen, I don't even want to talk to you. It's the same argument I've made about the wackness of those who know Boscoe but have never heard a full Parliament album. Rationalize it all you want that times have changed or whatever, but do so alone in your room with your soft hands ever on a keyboard. Meanwhile, I'll be out here living in the real world.

As far as pants in Texas, it's actually all about shorts down here. And by the early 90's, shorts were still in that mid-range limbo state between 70's short-short Stubbies style and 2000's Dickies to the ankle steez. The dude in Slacker who breaks into the anarchist's house to steal a television and instead winds up getting a lesson in absurdity from the singer of Glass Eye, he's got that exact Beavis, suburban club-going, acid dropping short length on lock. I can think of a thousand dudes who all rocked the same style, often with brown shoes with white socks.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Skel soon to announce the next Brit hang to be fancy dress, in order for him to bust out his Phull Lynott dream. Man be growing out a jet-black perm as we speak. Imma mail Gaston and dem down the bank to put the mockers on it before man chops his record shack in for a '75 'Vette.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Honestly if you aren't on a Harley, or onstage making the shred face with a Flying V, you prolly should leave the leather pants alone. If you really feel compelled like that, at least get some made to fit you. Nothing looks worse than some off the rack shit that is loose/tight in all the wrong places.

In the interest of full disclosure my wife (a Brit) had several pairs of leather pants she wore back when I first met her. They looked good on her, but I still managed to work those out of her rotation pretty quick. I just never saw myself as the kind of guy who dates women who wear leather pants.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    There is definitely an insidious undercurrent of Thin Lizzy love around these parts. I know that Rock and I ride hard too, and have been known to namecheck teh Lynott from time to time.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The answer is no.

Even the 2012 Alexander Wang, Raf Simons, etc. take on post-modern, minimalist, androgynous art gallery warrior look makes me cringe.
    Head-to-toe leather Kanye doesn't help said item's image too tough either.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    asstro said:
    Honestly if you aren't on a Harley, or onstage making the shred face with a Flying V, you prolly should leave the leather pants alone. If you really feel compelled like that, at least get some made to fit you. Nothing looks worse than some off the rack shit that is loose/tight in all the wrong places.

In the interest of full disclosure my wife (a Brit) had several pairs of leather pants she wore back when I first met her. They looked good on her, but I still managed to work those out of her rotation pretty quick. I just never saw myself as the kind of guy who dates women who wear leather pants.

My wife owned a pair of leather trousers which I sold for her on eBay years ago...call me naive but I really didn't anticipate the nature or the volume of mails I got from people with highly, erm, specific questions about them....

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    men these days - no
    women these days - yes

I was djing a party several weeks ago, where girl who is a black haired lead singer of local band was rockin' leather very nicely with some mid heels with gray top. Hott with neo-rocker 50/60s girls around here.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    On the Thin Lizzy/Van Halen thing...the problem is that people for so long made such a policy of being strictly alternative with their music interests that they started doing the dumb thing of dismissing clearly good shit right under their noses just because of side reason stupid. Also, since when do we leave it up to computer geeks to decide for us what is good for a party? If you don't like Thin Lizzy and Van Halen, I don't even want to talk to you. It's the same argument I've made about the wackness of those who know Boscoe but have never heard a full Parliament album. Rationalize it all you want that times have changed or whatever, but do so alone in your room with your soft hands ever on a keyboard. Meanwhile, I'll be out here living in the real world.
    Well, I was of course being hyperbolic with a lot of that, but I do know where you're coming from, and am old enough to not entirely disagree. That said, I believe that aggressive populism is every bit as much of a chosen stance as aggressive obscurantism, especially these days. The idea that kept coming up in the alluded-to "GOAT" thread, the idea that Van Halen's party-guy rejection of angry-guy music was in some way more organic and natural--was somehow less of a conscious decision and somehow had more to do with "the real world"--than punk's angry-guy rejection of party-guy music, is absolute pony loaf. Like they say in rape_donkeys fave (and, lest we forget, Screaming Trees bill-payer) Singles: "Number one, I think that you do have 'an act'; and, number two, I think that 'not having an act' is your act."

As far as pants in Texas, it's actually all about shorts down here. And by the early 90's, shorts were still in that mid-range limbo state between 70's short-short Stubbies style and 2000's Dickies to the ankle steez. The dude in Slacker who breaks into the anarchist's house to steal a television and instead winds up getting a lesson in absurdity from the singer of Glass Eye, he's got that exact Beavis, suburban club-going, acid dropping short length on lock. I can think of a thousand dudes who all rocked the same style, often with brown shoes with white socks.
    This is really interesting, because where I grew up in South Carolina, while there was this vast middle layer of weed-smoking, pill-popping badass dudes in their acid-washed riders and black sleeveless Hog's Breath Saloon t-shirts, the deep drug dudes--I mean, the real casualties--mostly dressed lighter and more beach-bummy, very similar to the dude in your picture.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Well, I was of course being hyperbolic with a lot of that, but I do know where you're coming from, and am old enough to not entirely disagree. That said, I believe that aggressive populism is every bit as much of a chosen stance as aggressive obscurantism, especially these days. The idea that kept coming up in the alluded-to "GOAT" thread, the idea that Van Halen's party-guy rejection of angry-guy music was in some way more organic and natural--was somehow less of a conscious decision and somehow had more to do with "the real world"--than punk's angry-guy rejection of party-guy music, is absolute pony loaf. Like they say in rape_donkeys fave (and, lest we forget, Screaming Trees bill-payer) Singles: "Number one, I think that you do have 'an act'; and, number two, I think that 'not having an act' is your act."

I dunno...where I'm from we were into Motley Cru every bit as much as we were into the Ramones. There just wasn't the punk versus rock thing going the way reaching journalists would later have us all believe. And it's that very joining of those 2 so-called divergent schools that yielded grunge...which we of course ate up ravenously like ice cream.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    There is definitely an insidious undercurrent of Thin Lizzy love around these parts. I know that Rock and I ride hard too, and have been known to namecheck teh Lynott from time to time.

There are Thin Lizzy tribute threads on Soul Strut going back at least five or six years.

And unlike Van Halen (who James appears to have compared them to), Thin Lizzy had genuine punk cred on their side. At least at the time. Phil Lynott hung out in punk/new wave circles on the regular, and even had a song on his Solo In Soho album, "Talk In '79," where he namedropped the big UK names in the scene.

And Lizzy recorded with half the Sex Pistols as the Greedies, and had a decent Christmas hit here with 'A Merry Jingle'.

asstro said:

In the fall of 2000, the Gap introduced leather pants (for women) to their lineup. For about three months thereafter, it was quite amusing to see your common Becky and Amber sipping mocha in Starbucks while wearing leathers. These girls didn't even save them for the club at night - they wore them in broad daylight while shopping at Jewels' grocery store.

Ever see something that looked ridiculous and sexy at the same time?

pickwick33 said:
    These girls didn't even save them for the club at night

Dancing in leather pants sounds like a nightmare. How breathable are these things??

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

Ever see something that looked ridiculous and sexy at the same time?

Isn't that pretty much the definition of Katy Perry? Looks ridiculous and yet sexy?

And to keep it on topic, her ex-husband is a perfect example of how leather pants can amplify one's inherent douchy-ness.

Buff your leather to a shine.

"Odors: To remove odors, use a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda crystals in about 1 quart/liter of warm water and let the solution soak into the skin.

Oils and Oil Based Lubricants: These can be difficult to remove. Use baby shampoo or a similar soap in a few tablespoons of water and rubbing slowly onto the spots can help their removal. Rinse thoroughly. As another alternative, most oil or grease stains can be lifted by grinding up blackboard chalk, sprinkling it onto the affected area, and leaving the powder on for one full day.

Wax: Place blotting paper or brown paper on the leather and then apply a cool/moderate iron to remove wax from leather. Keep applying the iron on clean blotting or brown paper, to the wax spot until the paper is no longer absorbing the wax.

Urine Stains: Uric acid found in urine is very damaging to leather. When leather has been in contact with urine, it should be washed out immediately after use with warm soapy water (baby shampoo). Leaving urine-stained items overnight can cause irreparable damage.

Blood Stains: Leather becomes stiff and odorous if blood is allowed to dry. If blood gets on your leather clothing or leather lingerie, hand wash immediately. "

bassie said:
    pickwick33 said:
    These girls didn't even save them for the club at night

Dancing in leather pants sounds like a nightmare. How breathable are these things??

Who said anything about dancing? I'm sure those women would have just stood around striking poses.

oh right....I guess that didn't occur to me.

bassie said:
    leather lingerie "

Damn.

Damn, damn, damn.

Damn.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    bassie said:

That's how they get that roll n roll smell

leather lingerie

jjfad027 said:
    bassie said:

How breathable are these things??

That's how they get that roll n roll smell

skel said:

Damn.

Damn, damn, damn.

Damn.