Prometheus (Sci-Fi horror related)

13»

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    whats sticking with you?
    i pretty much agree with resgiant and the detractors on here. altho the visuals were mostly amazing and i like the whole engineer concept. good overall, but probably a better movie if it had discussions with the author included after viewing (i.e. it tries to do someething interesting but doesnt stand up on its own)

The visuals were great. I really liked how creepy the movie was. I didn't mind not having everything explained to me. I'm still not sure where the Alien from Alien came from.

The Engineers were cool. I didn't mind that i left having more questions than answers. That mave have been the point...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    this has to be the most nitpicked movie of the last decade. I don't know what people wanted from it, but it sure seems like most of you weren't satisfied. Me, I'm with awwwdamn and thought it was interesting, entertaining, and a fine 2 hours at the movies. I found myself thinking about it for days afterward and wanting to read opinions and theories online - which unfortunately were overwhelmingly whiny complaints that the movie didn't tuck them into bed and sing them to sleep like mommy used to do.

The only thing that I agree really irked me when watching the film was the "oh he's so cute! Here wormy-wormy ..." scene - it just made no sense as the worm was hardly cute and clearly resembled a cobra poised to strike.

A couple of things I want to mention:

Just because Charlize called Weyland "Father" doesn't mean she is NOT an android. I thought that was still left unsettled, and much about her character (including the previously mentioned fact that Weyland would have been around 80 when she was "born") suggests that she was.

I found myself wondering if David were not actually under the control of the engineers. I know the first thing the awakened Engineer does is rip his head off, but still, he seemed to be constantly working to ensure the alien spawning both took place and would return to Earth ... he certainly seemed to know Shaw was hosting a creature and wanted her to go through with it. I don't know, there are conflicting events, but throughout the Alien mythos the artificial humans are always seeming to have a hidden agenda. It definitely left me wondering.

SoulOnIce said:
    t
    Just because Charlize called Weyland "Father" doesn't mean she is NOT an android. I thought that was still left unsettled, and much about her character (including the previously mentioned fact that Weyland would have been around 80 when she was "born") suggests that she was. .

Sperm can be frozen and artificially inseminated today. Gotz to think they can do it in teh future. Plus, Old man having kids is not new. Zorba the Greek, anyone?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    batmon said:
    Madea VS. Alien

Herm said:
    residentgiant said:
    Weyland's like 120 years old.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the one thing that bugged me most about this episode...

100+ million dollar movie and they couldn't make Weyland's old guy makeup better than THAT?!

b/w

Haha!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    DOR said:
    batmon said:
    Madea VS. Alien

I would pay good money to see Tyler Perry's head ripped off in an alien movie. Any movie, really.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    this has to be the most nitpicked movie of the last decade. I don't know what people wanted from it, but it sure seems like most of you weren't satisfied. Me, I'm with awwwdamn and thought it was interesting, entertaining, and a fine 2 hours at the movies. I found myself thinking about it for days afterward and wanting to read opinions and theories online - which unfortunately were overwhelmingly whiny complaints that the movie didn't tuck them into bed and sing them to sleep like mommy used to do.

The only thing that I agree really irked me when watching the film was the "oh he's so cute! Here wormy-wormy ..." scene - it just made no sense as the worm was hardly cute and clearly resembled a cobra poised to strike.

A couple of things I want to mention:

Just because Charlize called Weyland "Father" doesn't mean she is NOT an android. I thought that was still left unsettled, and much about her character (including the previously mentioned fact that Weyland would have been around 80 when she was "born") suggests that she was.

I found myself wondering if David were not actually under the control of the engineers. I know the first thing the awakened Engineer does is rip his head off, but still, he seemed to be constantly working to ensure the alien spawning both took place and would return to Earth ... he certainly seemed to know Shaw was hosting a creature and wanted her to go through with it. I don't know, there are conflicting events, but throughout the Alien mythos the artificial humans are always seeming to have a hidden agenda. It definitely left me wondering.

I think the "was Charlize and android?" is a great idea. The only answer would have been if we saw a white goo splat when she got crushed at the end (which would have been awesome). I think it will be like the debate on weather Decker in Blade Runner was a replicant. We'll never know. I say no, but I like the idea and would be fine with yes.

I agree it was a great movie and too nit picked, but hey were nerds and it's something to do. I don't think there is much chance the engineers were controlling David. They were all dead except for the one who (as you said) went on a rampage the second he woke up and saw humans. They didn't need an android to help them.They were making some major WMD's to send to earth but the WMD got them first. I think, as debated here before, David was a misguided glitchy android trying too hard to make his "dad" happy. It goes in line with the other Alien movie androids and their quirks.