Forget the Bells let's discuss this...

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
The vocal sample "ready on the left, ready on the right, ready on the firing line" come from?

I have the Fort Dix military 7" and it is not on there.

I heard it in the movie Serpico but they were cutting it up in wild style?

Long time mystery amongst the nerdiest of beat heads...
Mek_Jagger

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    i always thought it was "Sounds of Basic Training"-The United States Army Training Center Infantry Ft.Dix New Jersey-1967 Rainbo Records, but i have never had the opportunity to hear the full record, so i guess thats wrong...if thats not it now i am curious as to what it would be from..

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    It sounds like Serpico. But if you listen to the line in the movie, when he says "ready on the firing line" his voice crackles in the middle of saying. Which I can't hear in the song.

Quote is 1:33:33 in the movie.

half the info i just found says "Serpico" the other half says the "Sounds Of Basic Training" record....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Id2S9msVK4Y/

This was upped in parts I'm guessing. But go to 35:30 and and listen to how he says "Ready on the firing line".

No way... Must be Sounds Of Basic Training. Anyone got it?

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Didn't they press up copies of the Wild Style studio band recordings especially for DJ-use in the film? I think I remember Soulman mentioning this once. If this is the case then it's possible that the vocal snippet was recorded especially for them.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    Didn't they press up copies of the Wild Style studio band recordings especially for DJ-use in the film? I think I remember Soulman mentioning this once. If this is the case then it's possible that the vocal snippet was recorded especially for them.

Yes. Not sure if the vocals were on there, but I remember reading about them pressing records for the movie.

there are other samples like "hut! one, two, three, four!" and a few other military samples used, i have two different copies on vinyl and both the miltary cuts are different, neither have them have any raw samples...

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    ..., i have two different copies on vinyl and both the miltary cuts are different...

Please describe a bit more detailed. I have a number of vinyl and CD issues and never noticed differences. Are there any other differences on others tracks?

i decided to pull both copies lastnight and play them together and after a few bars in, one of them is different, i was on my way out the house with the wife yelling at the door for me, so i didnt get the time to check which was which.

i have the double gatefold release that coincided with the double DVD release of the movie (i believe) and the other copy i have is a single vinyl copy with an off colored cover that i got from RAJ if i recall correctly, the double gatefold has twice the tracks as the single and i havent had the chance to go through em both and see if there are any other differences...

if i have some time tonight i will go through them both, i am back logged on vinyl to listen to thanks to Slice of Spice...so i might not have time tonight..

checking this:http://www.discogs.com/Various-Wild-Style-25th-Anniversary-Edition-Original-Soundtrack/release/1468219

the CD also has an instrumental of Military Scratch on it as well, which is not on either vinyl copies i have...

• Mek_JaggerMek_Jagger 322 Posts
    flexidisc

so close

must be another jostens record.

^^ whoa that's messed up shit....completely the same vocals, yet completely different..wonder if someone filtered/eq'd the hell out of what were hearing on Wild Style?

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Not trying to mess up this post but does anybody know where the background noise of this comes from:

It's immediately at the start if "Two live is what we are"

So strange I heard exactly the same noise on the Beatles "No.9" and on an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" as Larry Davis is watching a baseball game and his wife comes home. I recognize that piece of sound out of a million soundeffects...
    Somebody screams "On avation" or something like that.
    Please help as this is a riddle for me for like 25 years by now...It must be from a soundeffect lp that is used for ages !

MR_ZIMMS said:
    Not trying to mess up this post but does anybody know where the background noise of this comes from:

It's immediately at the start if "Two live is what we are"

So strange I heard exactly the same noise on the Beatles "No.9" and on an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" as Larry Davis is watching a baseball game and his wife comes home. I recognize that piece of sound out of a million soundeffects...
    Somebody screams "On avation" or something like that.
    Please help as this is a riddle for me for like 25 years by now...It must be from a soundeffect lp that is used for ages !

being a fairly big 2 Live Crew fan I always assumed that was part of a live performance, it sounds to me like it says "on the stage" and then continues that "live" sound throughout the recording, I know they had a "live" feel to a lot of their recordings (I aint bullshittin' and a few others), not sure if it was a fill track or not...never gave it much consideration until now...

• Mek_JaggerMek_Jagger 322 Posts
    i found it. but it turns out supreme had it first. its not any version of the fort dix 7??? (theres at least 3 with different covers and audio). i think paul nice started the fairytale when he used the fort dix white version on breaks4days mix.
    bonus beetroot: i am now a fucking expert on military training records. AMA

dj_cityboy

• ^^^BOOM! Exact match! So their scratchin a 7" floppy? Damn. What do people know about the Wild Style movie production pressings? In CrateDiggers Houseshoes, he shows off the 8Mile rap battle pressings that are used in the film. Are the Wild Style pressings used in the film, or just for promotion?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Yep, passed by it a gazillion times, a very common record you can find anywhere any day in a dollar bin

• MEK_JAGGER - Nice find. What is the album and where can I get the complete recording? From reading this thread, I can only gather that it's a seven inch vinyl, Fort Dix New Jersey. Has anyone posted more than a 26 second clip?

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts

• DJTOPCAT - Yeah. I saw that short clip on whosampled.com but I want to find a recording of the complete album.

• Hey Checkwun2 - that submission on whosampled is wrong. Somebody has ripped the correct audio and uploaded it to youtube with the wrong cover. It's not on any of the Jostens or other military records. it's on a common sound effects album.

• MEK_JAGGER Even if it is on a sound effects album, the audio source originated from a military field recording. What is the name of the common sound effects album that you found it on, please?

i found it. but it turns out supreme had it first. its not any version of the fort dix 7??? (theres at least 3 with different covers and audio). i think paul nice started the fairytale when he used the fort dix white version on breaks4days mix.
    bonus beetroot: i am now a fucking expert on military training records. AMA

oh shit man this is dope, not even sure how i missed this post? nice find man i love seeing shit like solved, i am also curious which album it was from tho? 

if this is a true AMA we need a reply, lol

Mek_Jagger

• Cityboy, I like the cut of your jib.
    This other fellow... not so much. I found his last post to be a little churlish, but now I see he has edited it to include the word 'please'. 
    Let's play a game. 

Five of hearts. Higher or lower?
    __
    5♥|

• It wasn't my intention to make mean-spirited comments. Just asking about the album.

• That's ok my dude, I wasn't being entirely serious.
    Now, back to business.
    Do you say higher or lower?
    __
    5♥|

Scuba Stevefoe

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I am a gambling man.
    HIGHER.
    Duderonomy

• Higher is correct! It's the Jack of spades.
    __
    J♠|

Congratulations Jimster, a sealed copy of the original 'ready on the right' sample used on Wildstyle will be winging it's way to you very soon!
    Please message me your details.

Higher is correct! It's the Jack of spades.
    __
    J♠|

Congratulations Jimster, a sealed copy of the original 'ready on the right' sample used on Wildstyle will be winging it's way to you very soon!

well shit! i didnt know we went from AMA's to prizes, bummer i missed that but i can appreciate your awesomess giving a copy away!

Mek_Jagger

• Title of the track is "Pistol Range, Military" released in 1960. There is another track with the marching soldier sounds, probably on the same album. It should be easy to find. Thanks.
    Mek_Jaggerdj_cityboy

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    IMek_Jagger said:

Higher is correct! It's the Jack of spades.
    __
    J♠|

I have PM'd you, bud.  Many thanks.
    #MAKINGTHESTRUTGREATAGAIN

Mek_Jagger