unreleased sam sanders album master on strata...

davidwingatedavidwingate 748 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
so i have begun the process of remastering some of the master reels I have from Strata and I have come across an album master from Sam Sanders. I know he played sax on Eddie Russ's album Take a Look at Yourself and James Blood Ulmer's album but that's all I know about this guy. There are only song titles on the master but no album title and no credits either. Anyway, please some help on who Sam Sanders was and any clue of this "lost" strata album would be greatly appreciated!

amir

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Amir - you've baked them before playing them right?

• No my guy is sooo good he played and recoded it straight from the master to pro Tools...plus, 1/4 " master was good shape. No need to bake them, but good looking!

amir

• Soulhawk said:

sooo. it was released already or is that a different album by him?

• thx but it's not this album..as I said it is unreleased. it is from 1974 on strata...

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    some info here:

http://www.jazznation.com/CBP/SamSanders1.html

the man certainly wrote some seriously beautiful tunes and played with the finesse of a master.

• yup checked this site too but thx dude! just trying to track down the title of this album and song and player credits since there are none listed. also got an album master titled Black Unicorn Music but nothing else. Trying to find the correct artist or group name, song titles, album name, and player and song writer credits.
    amir

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    davidwingate said:
    thx but it's not this album..as I said it is unreleased. it is from 1974 on strata...

didn't say it was

from your first post you didn't even know who the guy was beyond the sketchy info you got from discogs

good luck with your learning process

• ok...I was just asking for some info that's it. I apologize if you took my answer as other than it was but it wasn't meant in any negative way. at the end of the day, I am just trying to properly do the record with all the proper credits. what I am doing is apart of a "learning process" for us all....

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

Vintage tapes do not always need to be baked, and certainly should not be if it's not necessary.

• Are you not working with anybody that was involved with the label that can help you with this stuff?

Otherwise I would imagine it would near impossible to get to the bottom of all this.

• I'm working with the widow of the og owner but she is much older and her memory of those days are becoming more and more faint. I know got my work cut out for me but I'm excited because I'm doing what I love.

Amir

• It sounds like you need to find some of the musicians though.

Good luck!

there have got to be some older jazz players in detroit that knew the guy and might be able to point you in the right direction. i'll ask my teacher if he knows any older dudes up there who can help with this. did larry nozero do an album on this label too? or was it just the sphere album?

• Yes Larry did the time album with Dennis tini on strata. I am trying to track some of the musicians from that era for sure. I talked to Ron English about it. Big thx!

• Yes Larry did the time album with Dennis tini on strata. I am trying to track some of the musicians from that era for sure. I talked to Ron English about it. Big thx!

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    4YearGraduate said:

Vintage tapes do not always need to be baked, and certainly should not be if it's not necessary.

True, but the only way to know is to spool it up and see if it's shedding. Baking does not hurt tapes one bit unless there are splices, it just remelts the adhesive backing allowing the glue to work again on the tape face. The alternative is letting the heads wipe your data right off the tape.

just tried to pm you with an email for a guy who studied under sam at oakland univ., let me know if you didn't get that.

never mind, i figured it out.