Salmon Recipes Please (cooking R)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Last weekend I smoked 8 pounds of Columbia River salmon, to serve this coming Sunday.

I don't want to just serve slabs of cold salmon, so I ask you for your ideas.

My current idea is to grill local fresh veggies. Hopefully asparagus is still available.
Toss veggies with oil and salmon.
Done.

Seems a little too simple. Perhaps boring.
So ideas are welcomed.

Side dishes, appetizers any thing else to go with or use the salmon welcomed.

I like to let the salmon speak for itself so it was brined with salt and brown sugar and smoked just till it was done.
It is full flavored and moist. Not dried out spiced salmon jerky.

Comments

• can you slice it thin like lox?

You can serve individual pieces on cucumber or radish rounds with creme fresh, capers, cracked pepper and a tiny squeeze of lemon

edit: looks / tastes great on watermelon radishes (if you can find them) sliced very thin on a mandoline.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    What he said^^^

+ pea sprouts

I like to enjoy smoked fish with a nice stone ground mustard. Perhaps you could make some type of mustard sauce.

• grilled veggies are a solid accompaniment to salmon but i say don't toss the them with the salmon. perhaps some cold quinoa or tabouli salad would round out things out a bit...maybe get some fresh rolls so people can make little sandwhiches

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Goat cheese, salmon, dill on thin unflavored flatbread/rye crisps.

Topping some micro-greens or spring salad with salmon and some tamrai and rice wine vinegar. Maybe some shredded nori on top.

Smoke salmon pate on crispy croquettes toped with pickled ramps/scallions/capers maybe a drizzle of honey.

Smoked salmon is dead easy, who doesn't like to eat it plain if it's good?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    great suggestions so far
    dill/preserved lemon gremolatta with capers and slithered almonds

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks! Keep them coming.

It wont slice thin like lox*. But a little bit on cuc, radish with goat cheese is sounding real good right now.

A quinoa or other grain salad sound like it would be a great accompaniment.

*Lox is a different process. It is pressed and cold smoked over days.
    Cold smoking takes a different set up from what I have.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Olive oil and lemon.....walk away.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Sauce for 2 lbs of Fresh Salmon:

> Chopped fresh garlic and ginger to taste (I use a lot of both)
    > Juice of 1/2 a Valencia orange.
    > 1 T stoneground dijon mustard (the Sierra Nevada Spicy Brown is perfect for this)
    > 3 T Dark Soy Sauce
    > Salt / pepper to taste

Bake @ 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on filet thickness. I prefer it browned up a bit. One of my favorite recipes!

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    So this is wild salmon? Wild salmon has great flavor, but is very lean and benefits from additional fat, so mayo, creme fraiche, yogurt, sour cream, etc are welcome partners. mustard is good idea too. Since you hot smoked it? i'd toss it in a warm salad of potatoes and whatever's in season...asparagus as you mentioned, a slightly bitter green, maybe some green or yellow wax beans, and a light vinaigrette thickened with a touch of mustard or one of the ingredients listed above. or don't use vinegar, but maybe some lemon juice. don't overwhelm it. good salmon is good salmon.
    don't try to impress with a recipe. if it'd good on it's own, let it ride solo. sometimes that's the best path.

• We do the following two recipes often.

Salmon Fillet Wrapped In Prosciutto With Herby Lentil, Spinach And Yogurt

Ingredients

9 oz lentils
    4 x 8 oz salmon, filets, skinned and pin-boned
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    8 slices of prosciutto
    4 tbsp olive oil
    1 lemon, juiced
    2 good handfuls of mixed herbs, (flat-leaf parsley,basil,mint), chopped
    3 large handfuls spinach, chopped
    7 oz plain yoghurt, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper

Method

Preheat the oven to 425??F.

Put the lentils into a pan, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until tender.

Season the salmon filets with a little pepper before wrapping them in the prosciutto slices. Leave some of the flesh exposed.

Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for around 10 minutes until the prosciutto is golden.

Feel free to cook the salmon for lesser time if you prefer it to be pinker.

Drain away most of the water from the lentils and season carefully with salt, pepper, the lemon juice and olive oil.

Just before serving, stir the herbs and spinach into the lentils on a high heat, until wilted.

Place on plates with the salmon and finish with a drizzle of lightly seasoned yoghurt.

Salmon with Warm Lemon Vinaigrette

1 cup (125g) best-quality green olives
    4 tablespoons capers (the salted variety, not those in brine)
    4 salmon fillets (about 200g each)
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    4tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    fresh fennel fronds, or fresh dill for garnish

Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the olives and blanch in the boiling water for 2 minutes to get rid of excess salt.
    Drain well and set aside.
    Rinse the capers well, and soak in cold water for 10 minutes to rid them of excess salt. Set aside.
    Preheat oven to 150?? C. Season salmon lightly with a little salt and pepper and brush on each side with a little olive oil. Brush a metal oven tray with a little oil, place salmon on tray skin-side up, and roast for 5-7 minutes. (This will give you very rare salmon.)
    Meanwhile, drain the capers. In a small saucepan, combine the oil, lemon juice, capers, and blanched olives. Stir to blend and warm gently over a low heat.
    To serve, transfer the salmon to four warmed individual plates and spoon the sauce on top and around the fish. Sprinkle with fennel fronds or dill.
    Serve immediately with steamed potatoes in their jackets.

You all are great. Keep em coming.

Spring Chinook, Columbia River. No extra fat needed.

Indi_'s recipe sounds great, but too much for this salmon.

More of an oil and lemon walk a way type fish.

Grilled potatoes with the the grilled veggies sounds good.
    I am still tempted to add the salmon to the salmon to the veggies.

This thread has inspired me to think about tossing salmon with cucumbers, pasta and soft goat cheese (or feta?).
    With basil instead of dill, olive oil and lemon.

I have some phyllo dough in the freezer.
    Suggestions with or to accompany salmon?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    you could let the salmon shine (seeing how it's a wild catch)
    and make a goat cheese asparagus baluchon with the dough
    fancy but easy and all the flavors without putting it on the fish and fixes your side problem as well

Nancy read the thread last night.
    All the creme fraiche, capers, micro greens, nori, fennel fronds... had her laughing. "Are these guys?"
    Talk about stereotypes.

We have agreed to just serve the salmon cold*.
    Lemon wedges and Indi_ sauce on the side.

Grilled veggies/potatoes.

Cucumber, yogurt, dill. (or something like that.) (Mint, garlic...)

Think I will make some kind of goat cheese baluchon. Another word I had to look up. Phyllo cups is what we are talking about.

Few weeks ago, for an event, Nancy backed brownies, lemon bars :feelin_it: and chocolate dipped espresso cookies.
    There are still some in the freezer, desert = :game_over:

Thanks everyone, and more suggestions for this or other meals are always welcomed.

*My reluctance to just serve the salmon cold was because it is less than beautiful. I couldn't get a whole fish and the guy built me a fish out of small roasts (sections). I am still learning to fillet so they got a little butchered. I thought I had a good pellicle on the salmon, but I still had a lot of fat rise to the surface. So they are not the most beautiful steaks you have seen. Nancy said she would make them look nice, and she is great at presentation so here we are.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    cold is good, asparagus sounds good. potato salad with this would do it for me. salmon has too nice a flavour to be overwhelmed. I always keep salmon simple. kiss (no ayo / no pasue)

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Nancy read the thread last night.
    All the creme fraiche, capers, micro greens, nori, fennel fronds... had her laughing. "Are these guys?"
    Talk about stereotypes.

Tell nancy she needs to up her organic bamboo thread count game before she can step to strutters like that!

• can you get your hands on some roe and rustic bread?

TELL WIFEY TO STOP HATING
    JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE ALL MALE PEDICURES ON LOCK
    MY PINTEREST GAME IS UNFADABLE WHAT

Rustic bread for sure.

Dinner was great.

Phyllo triangles with goat cheese, asparagus, salmon

Cold salmon
    Roasted new potatoes, summer squash, asparagus, onions
    Yogurt with cucumber and lemon mint from the yard.
    Dipping sauce made from a reduction of Indi_'s sauce ^
    Baguette brushed with olive oil and garlic

Lemon bars

Ice cream with brownies and espresso cookies

Thanks all for the inspiration and direction.

2 years later, I now have an electric smoker, makes life easier. Cookshack, very good quality.

I also now have a ACU. Auxiliary Cooking Unit. Or Cookshack.

Here is this years Spring Chinook.
    Salmon 021
    Friend gave me an award winning recipie.
    The brine; 8-10 lb. salmon fillets
    1/2 c. non iodized salt
    3 c. demarara sugar
    1/2 c. lemon juice
    1 c. soy sauce
    1 c. dry red wine
    1 Tbs. dry onion powder
    1 Tbs. garlic powder
    1 Tbs. dry mustard

Salmon in brine 014
    You have to air dry the salmon to give it a glaze. Then a cold smoke. You can see pans of ice sitting on the baffle for the cold smoke. Still temps went above 90o.
    Salmon glaze 015
    Then at 140o then at 175o
    Salmon Done 018

Nancy's Couscous salad
    Salmon Salads 022
    Lightly dressed greens from our garden. Fresh local asparagus sauted with a touch of salt and lemon.
    Salted caramel apple pie 013
    Nancy's Salted Caramel Apple Pie

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I have to suggest my simple combo of spices which i think would be perfect for your future preparations and suprisingly does not overpower the salmon
    tandoori spice mix + maple syrup
    also looks delicious great pics

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    our family's can't miss salmon recipe goes thusly:

Marinate in:
    Soy sauce (1/2 cup)
    Either rice vinegar (1/4 cup) or lemon juice lime, or sake
    1/4 cup of honey or maple syrup
    1/4 cup of olive oil or veg oil or reserve a bit an add some sesame oil.
    And garlic ( 3-4 cloves and mashed up)
    Miso paste can be blended in too.
    Bake at 375 for 15 min per inch.

Thanks PCMR and VI, those both sound great. May try soon.

b/w

I was shocked how expensive Demerara sugar was. Like muscovado and turbinado and raw sugar these are less refined sugars with higher molasses content. Brown sugar is refined sugar with molasses added back in.

I like the idea of maple syrup, but I live a long way from Vermont/Lanark County and stuff is very expensive. Not that I don't or wont, use it for marinade, but only on special occasions.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    I mostly grill salmon but your smoker and the results look mouthwatering.

As for seasonal veggies and such, we have been hitting our local Farmer's Market every Saturday off of NE 45th and Sandy. There is a guy there that sells wild picked mushrooms, some great honey and the veggies are starting to come in. They also have farm fresh eggs (and duck eggs). I cannot wait for fruit season to start, the mushroom guy brings in fresh wild huckleberries (memories of summer camp).

I can't add anything to the salmon recipes, I am pretty minimalist since I like the salmon to speak for itself (olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon, fresh ground sea salt and pepper). Are you grilling the asparagus? If not, I just coat it in olive oil and hit it lightly with sea salt, the resulting caramelization makes it the only way I like it anymore.

• japanese salmon skin salad.

Saracenus said:
    we have been hitting our local Farmer's Market every Saturday off of NE 45th and Sandy.

:freeway:

That's my farmers market. There ever week (or every other in winter). There is a guy from the Yakima Nation who sells the salmon. That's where I get mine. There is a farm that sells nothing but asparagus this time of year. Best I have ever had. I fried it in olive oil with salt, and lemon. I actually prefer olive oil and soy sauce. Next time.

Mushroom guy is Peak Forest Fruit. Asparagus is Maryhill Orchards way out in Goldendale WA. Sweet Leaf is our favorite for general produce. Forget the name of our favorite berry people, but the strawberries are in.

Name of the salmon people is Columbia River Fish Company Treaty 1855. Says it all.

My favorite farmers market is Downtown Park Blocks on Saturday. Only go about once a year. The other one at King Elementary on Sunday is good if we miss going on Saturday.

I'll look for you Saturday. Do you look like your brother?

ASAPCOCKNEY said:
    japanese salmon skin salad.

Good to know. Next time. I just made stock this time.

LaserWolf said:

I'll look for you Saturday. Do you look like your brother?

Yes and no. If you see us together yep. I am a tad shorter and fatter than he is. The wife and I live about a block away. We usually walk through after 10am with the dogs (no pets before that time) and almost always get something from Nourishment (the Sheppard breakfast burrito is made with chorizo and collard greens).

The wife is going to flip that the Strawberries are in.

I need to stop by your shop and introduce myself sometime.

See you Saturday. Sunday we will be at the Portland Pug Crawl in NW. This year's theme is Pug Diego Comic Con.

We have been getting strawberries for 2 weeks now. They likely sell out before 10.

Been at Iriving Park before during the monthly gathering of the pugs.
    Our current dog does not do crowds.

LaserWolf said:
    We have been getting strawberries for 2 weeks now. They likely sell out before 10.

That would explain my not see them, not to self, go earlier.

LaserWolf said:

Been at Iriving Park before during the monthly gathering of the pugs.
    Our current dog does not do crowds.

That is a crazy crowd. There is nothing like seeing a herd of 30-40 pugs moving en mass like buffalo. We don't do that meet up anymore because there is no fence at the park.