Boxing plaese to explain?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Why did Pacquiao lose?

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    According to Facebook, because he spoke out against gay marriage. Yeah.

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    This is the conspiracy theory that makes sense to me:

Bob Arum knows Pacquiao can't beat Floyd. If the fight happens in november, say, Pacquaio's selling power will plummet after the loss. Arum wants to make as much money as he can at this point, and having another 2-3 pacquaio fights is guaranteed cash. There was a rematch clause in the contract, and what struck me as weird is Bradley constantly referring to that fact in the pre-fight publicity. Essentially, what i think will happen is Pacquiao will fight Bradley again, win, fight another guy like Ortiz or something and then when he's basically about to retire, Arum is going to throw him to Floyd.

or Pacquaio is on roids and Floyd's test demands are sure to expose that.

I favor the first theory...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    The conspiracy that most makes sense to me is here:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8036150/a-ringside-account-controversial-fight-manny-pacquiao-timothy-bradley-jr

Basically:

- Bob Arum/Top Rank promotions make more money when they fight two of their top stars as opposed to a co-promotion
    - PacMan might leave Top Rank in 2013
    - PacMan was out of legit opponents to fight within Top Rank
    - They created a "credible" rematch by having PacMan lose to Bradley.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Yeah I don't know what happened. I watched every round of that fight and it was totally one sided in favor of Pacquiao.

Compubox numbers, analyst score cards, general consensus of everyone watching the fight and pretty much every measurable metric all pointed to a dominant Pac-Man win.

It is too hard not to feel like the decision was a result of corruption.

I don't see this being an Arum manipulated outcome, though. A large part of the breakdown of a Pac v Mayweather fight was Mayweather's demand for more than 50/50 split. Mayweather would cite his undefeated record and crowd draw as a reason that he needs more than 50 percent. Putting a loss on Pac Man's record will just weaken Arum's ability to argue that. Also...I bet the ticket/PPV numbers for last weekend's fight were nothing compared to the Cotto Mayweather numbers.

I feel like the smart money bet on this debacle is simply that these two judges have some proxy that they were able to place bets through...a pay out for them....A $100 bet on Bradley would get you $325 in return.

At the end of the day, it was a serious kick in the teeth to all boxing fans. I adore watching a good boxing match but there is a point where it gets too damn corrupt to watch anymore....

Only in boxing does the winner end up in a wheelchair with a shiner while the "loser" is almost completely unscathed....smfh.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This is some WWF staged stuff. U just know your watching a staged/fake game.

Grandfather said:
    The conspiracy that most makes sense to me is here:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8036150/a-ringside-account-controversial-fight-manny-pacquiao-timothy-bradley-jr

Basically:

- Bob Arum/Top Rank promotions make more money when they fight two of their top stars as opposed to a co-promotion
    - PacMan might leave Top Rank in 2013
    - PacMan was out of legit opponents to fight within Top Rank
    - They created a "credible" rematch by having PacMan lose to Bradley.

That was a great article. Thanks for posting. The link to Teddy Atlas' take on the fight was great, as well.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I scored the first 6 rounds of the fight and had it close. I'm sure if i finished scoring i would have had Manny winning but the idea that Manny dominated the fight is nonsense. Compubox is probably the worst thing to ever happen to boxing.

I scored the first 6 rounds of the fight and had it close. I'm sure if i finished scoring i would have had Manny winning but the idea that Manny dominated the fight is nonsense. Compubox is probably the worst thing to ever happen to boxing.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    So if you bet on boxing now, you should bet on the fix and not the fighters?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    So if you bet on boxing now, you should bet on the fix and not the fighters?

If you bet on boxing, you may as well bet on Wrestlemania as well.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    And I dont think the article mentions it but there was a lot of late money being bet on bradley.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I didn't see the fight, but everyone I've talked to -even locally - said it was Pacquiao's.

Sucks that someone from my hometown finally makes it to the top and the decision is fucked. We're proud of him though, regardless.

Dude got his start right down the street from my old neighborhood.

edpowers said:

I disagree...

You had the 4th round close when Bradley was running away from Pac most of the round?

I felt like Pac did dominate...but then he coasted at the end. There were very few exchanges where Pac didn't have a 2 piece counter for every shot that Bradley got on him.

I think this should be a lesson to any incumbent title holder who thinks his marquee name and early dominance will allow him to coast to a W in later rounds.

All that said, I still know those judges are (a)blind and/or (b)corrupt.

EDIT: The worst thing to happen to boxing isn't compubox...it's shitehawk judges like the two that stole a W from the real winner.

I gave Pac round #4 ...after 5 i had the fight 3/2 in favor of Pac...im looking forward to seeing the replay and scoring the entire fight.

edpowers said:
    ...im looking forward to seeing the replay and scoring the entire fight.

I am too.

• Pac-Man was robbed. He whupped Timothy "Quiet Storm" Bradley with a sparring ease. He lost only one round, the ninth, because he was taking a break and did not respect Bradley's power at all. He continually pounded his gloves together throughout every round to provoke Bradley to fight him. Pac was the aggressor and all the running that Bradley was doing contributed to his so-called injury. When Bradley was asked about the fight he said, "Well the fans seem to disagree..." They asked him if he feels as if he won the fight and he says, "I'll have to watch the tape." Hello? You don't know if you won the championship belt??? Bradley looked confused as everyone else did to hear that he won...

• Pac-Man was robbed. He whupped Timothy "Quiet Storm" Bradley with a sparring ease. He lost only one round, the ninth, because he was taking a break and did not respect Bradley's power at all. He continually pounded his gloves together throughout every round to provoke Bradley to fight him. Pac was the aggressor and all the running that Bradley was doing contributed to his so-called injury. When Bradley was asked about the fight he said, "Well the fans seem to disagree..." They asked him if he feels as if he won the fight and he says, "I'll have to watch the tape." Hello? You don't know if you won the championship belt??? Bradley looked confused as everyone else did to hear that he won...

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8040415/bob-arum-requests-ag-inquiry-judges-disputed-manny-pacquiao-timothy-bradley-decision

Arum is asking for an investigation...but I'm sure nothing will come of it. If Arum did have something to do with the outcome, it's pretty slick that he's calling for this investigation; knowing full well that it will be just as bullshit as the judging.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    ed, seriously? you didnt have pacquiao dominating this fight?
    if you thought the shit was close, then you mustve been at that prefight smoke session with the 2 judges that had bradley winning.
    this was total domination. this isnt a debacle where the crowd favorite lost and everyone was upset. this was something really fishy happening.

Just looked to me like Bradley won some early rounds and late rounds.

edpowers said:
    Just looked to me like Bradley won some early rounds and late rounds.

I have 1st and 2nd round a draw. I have 3-9 and the 11th for Pac. I have 10th and 12th for Bradley. // 8 rounds to 2 for Pac

I could see someone interpreting the 1st round in favor of Bradley and maybe the 11th a draw. // 7 rounds to 3 for Pac.

I've really been trying to find a way to legitimize the outcome of this fight because (although boxing has an incredibly shady history) it's my favorite combat sport to watch.

But no matter how I look at this fight, it just screams corrupt funny biz.

Freddie Roach had a nice run. Time to retire. Same goes for Manny.

Pac vs Marquez was a really fun one to watch but Manny can't take a shot anymore. The punch that knocked him down the first time was not a punch that would have done so BITD (like 2-3 years ago). However, Marquez' kill shot was perfect and I think it would have floored anyone who got caught by it.

I am almost positive there will be a Pac Marquez 5. I'm not ruling out the possibility of it being amazing...but unless Manny reclaims a lost hunger to really fight, he should stop...if he can afford to.

I have had a lot of fun watching Manny do his thing in the ring and I will always respect his skill...was so fun to watch for so long.

He's going out like a warrior and I can't fault a fighter for that. Again, maybe this LEGITIMATE L will remotivate will him.

Either way, respect to Manny...and respect to Marquez.